Disaster Area Midi Baby 3 - Toggle scenes?

bigkid

Hi all.

I have a Morningstar MC6 which I use, amongst other things, to toggle between scenes. Press Switch A once for Scene 1, again for Scene 2 and again to return to Scene 1. If I change programs with another switch, say Switch C which toggles between Scenes 3 & 4, then return to Switch A the MC6 can be set to either remember the last position for Button A or start over at the first position, Scene 1.

I am thinking about going to a Disaster Area Midi Baby 3 to reduce footprint on the board and reduce redundant switches that are not getting any use. I use less external buttons as I become more familiar with the way switching works on the FM3. My query for Midi 3 users is, does the Midi Baby 3 operate in a similar way to the MC6? Can it toggle between scenes (as distinct from select a scene) and can you select whether it remembers the last position or defaults to position 1 when returning from another active switch.

Cheers,

Allan

It can step through different values with each press so I'd say toggling will be fine, but I don't know about remembering the states...Sorry I'm not a MIDI guru so hopefully someone can be more helpful.

Can it toggle between scenes (as distinct from select a scene) and can you select whether it remembers the last position or defaults to position 1 when returning from another active switch.
Following this, as I have the same question. Currently I haven't been able to set up my MB3 to do this properly. Have sent a question about it to disaster area amps.

I stepped up to the MB3 from the single pedal MB, but I may go back down if I can't get this working! Seems like a pretty basic problem, but i haven't been able to figure out on my own using their web programmer/editor.

I would stay away from the MIDI Baby 3. Disaster Area recognized there's a buncha issues with it back in May (telling the user to download FW V8 when the latest is V7 to this day, very weird convo), hasn't done anything about it and is not responding anymore.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...aby-3-so-many-bugs-ugh.2150660/#post-30838498

DA's MIDI stuff is not great in general, and this one just looks like a dead product.
:-(

Any alternatives in a similar form factor?

I would stay away from the MIDI Baby 3. Disaster Area recognized there's a buncha issues with it back in May (telling the user to download FW V8 when the latest is V7 to this day, very weird convo), hasn't done anything about it and is not responding anymore.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...aby-3-so-many-bugs-ugh.2150660/#post-30838498

DA's MIDI stuff is not great in general, and this one just looks like a dead product.

Bugger. OK. Looks like I'll stay with the MC6. Maybe I'll find a use for those extra buttons. :) Thanks for the advice.

Morningstar MC3 $189.00 available Sept. 25.

Description.
welp, just ordered one. Will list my midi baby3 today. I've got two support tickets in to disaster, and no answers :-/

edit 9/25 - DA did answer my support ticket, but don't think i'll be able to use the MB3 the way i intended with fractal, at least. The issue was that I had two buttons set to toggle two separate effects on/off, but a press on the "other" button would reset the state of the original button. So stomping to turn on a delay, for example, would reset my distortion switch back to off inside the MB3 (not the FM3) and I'd have to stomp twice to get the distortion block bypassed.

Last edited:
@gdgross interested to hear your feedback on the MC3 once it arrives.
Yeah, just got the notice that it shipped yesterday. supposed to be here next week!

Seems like monringstar controllers have some cool switch functions that might give me even more functionality in fewer switches. Things like double tap, double tap + hold, etc. may not want those on things that i need precise timing on like effects on/off, but for utility stuff/page changes/etc that seems like it could be really useful!

In case anyone comes across this old thread and becomes concerned about Disaster Area, I can report they alive, well and responsive. Just bought two of their midi-babies (a single and the 3). DA have been very responsive to my queries. Yet to test on scenes as I am without a Fractal unit pending delivery of the FM9 later this month, but their toggle with counter function performs in the same way the toggle function does on the Morningstar MC3/6 on some Neural DSP plugins I am using at the moment, toggling presets. Cheers.

Issue I had with the MB3 was the while I could cycle presets, I couldn't select the color of the LED's, which cycle in their own way so I couldn't use the colors as consistent visual guides. If I have three buttons that cycle blue to red, then it's not so helpful. If one button cycled blue to red, another yellow to green, and the last white to purple (let's say), it would be much more useful in a fast live setting.

Yes, I can see why that might be an issue. My midi needs are pretty simple in the systems I am using. I plan on using the MB just to switch between wah and vol block and pass through expression messages to my FM9 due this month, and the MB3 just to toggle between presets in Neural DSP plugins when practicing. The LEDs are not a big deal to me. DA seem to have other units with text displays that might be more helpful. The Morningstars have bigger, more detailed displays ( I use these elsewhere), and are working on 'pro' models with even more detailed screens in colour, when supply chain issues resolve.

I had a MC3 that I totally regret selling. I had an MC6 years ago and it was surprisingly capable. I do love the DA stuff. They have utility pedals (like USB hosts) that are totally niche and they kill it. I've had MB's, MB3's, etc. They do the trick, but I prefer the Morningstar MC3 hands down. Currently, I'm using a Hotone MIDI controller mostly because of its form factor. I can have it horizontally when I want more prominent use or I often have it vertically on the side when I want it for less used functions. I think I paid $99 for it.

Of all three, the MC3 is by far the best* and the only one I'd replace.

*My best for my needs. I still love you if you choose differently.

Back
Top Bottom