Disappointed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a "slice the elephant" guy!
The (gone) OP sayz:
- how good was my ol' gear
- how good is Amplitube ( :rolleyes: )
- i sold all my ol' gear coz eard how good sounds the Axe (here... on YT... etc..)
- i'm disappointed
ok... this make sense?

well... dude... do you know the joke about that guy driving on a higway?
The radio sayz: "pay attention a crazy is driving in the highway in the wrong direction!"
And the guy sayz: "Only one crazy? Here are ALL driving in the wrong direction!!!!"

No! It's too much fun to keep going. Imagine him coming back in like a year to see if the hornet's nest has calmed down and see his thread is still active and on top?

As for me I've had the Line 6 Pod XT Pro, didn't like much how it sounded right out of the box. Line 6 Pod XT floorboard, it was okay, it had at least the FX pack installed. Line 6 HD500, figured it could fulfill the hype, ran out of DSP before I had even half of the advertised 8 FX at once active. Then I got the Axe. First time use was okay, but I wanted to use my own dirt boxes and I just didn't have the smarts to make that work using the FX loop. Which forced me to actually explore the amps and dirt that was already inside the Axe and wow! Also wasn't that hard either. I probably could now make my original plan of using my old dirtboxes through the FX loop work. But why bother? They would only add 10 kilos to my rig and I am happy the way it is.

I'm guessing you also envision a POD price tag in that picture?
Problem is that those awesome Fractal algorithms are useless without a couple of kickass DSPs to run them on. And that is one of the things that contribute to the higher price.
Memory, to hold all of those 222 amp models, OTOH is pretty cheap nowadays.

So, cutting back on the number of amps inside the unit won't save much. And people are already cramped trying to build a pedalboard inside the AX8. Less effects is not going to fly either.
However, an amp-only device could cut cost significantly. That could cut one DSP.

Still won't be what many consider cheap, though. It still has to live up to Fractal quality standards... And reputation.

I didn't imagine for a second that such a product would be as cheap as a Line 6 original POD ! I'm aware of the DSP requirements for the Fractal algorythms.

The "thing" I was describing was just something different and that would probably appeal to a lot of guys who have played tube amps forever and are reluctant to "cross the line". A product with "immediate and easy tweaking".

I might, of course, be completely wrong and such a product could end up being a complete disaster :)

I would just like to add my two cents to this conversation. I just recently bought the axe fx 2 xl plus and for the first month all I was running it through was headphones and like you I was quite disappointed in the way it sounded but I kept on looking at YouTube videos and hearing all these guys with such a great sound I knew it had to be out there somewhere. So I proceeded to buy the matrix GT 1000 power amp and 2 1/12 matrix speakers and the sound is unbelievably good. The best guitar sound I have ever got by far and I haven't even begun to create my own sounds. I'm still playing with the presets because they sound that good!! Not sure if this helps but I just went with what other people were using because I knew it sounded good with that set up and I couldn't be happier!!!

I'm a 54yo old tart.
My guitar journey started with tubes... then pod, vetta, hd500, then software modeler, then luxury tube again an a lot of boutique pedals... and 2 years ago the AxeFx and now then mfc-101 and this is the best sounding piece of gear i ever owned!
The only thing that was missing were the knobs... but a bunch of french brains came out with the RAC12
I'm an happy ol' tart!

Are you a tart or a fart? (I am the latter, with a few years on you.) Never too old to enjoy some FAS style git wrangling.

This thread is called USER ERROR, You can't have a whole studio worth of shit and make it sound
good in 10 minutes, unless you know what your doing. I know what I'm doing and still learning everyday, just deleted
every preset I had made and starting over AGAIN. It's all in there, you just need to dig it out, whatever
that it is, that floats yer boat. The OP will be raving in a few weeks about how wrong he was. It has
happened before and will happen again. \m/

This thread will go on for years, as the top thread of all time... for no reason at all. And I'm helping to make that happen with my post.
The OP is away playing a gig using a Line 6 Spider right now... and will never return. :D
(sorry OP...if you ever come back, I was just having fun.)

That said... last night we were going to play "Walk This Way" in my cover band... we had not done it before. For grins, I grabbed my Les Paul Standard, spun the knob on my axe up into the factory presets (for me they are up in the D,E,F banks... so like 380 something) until I landed on a plexi... I figured any plexi will do... so I got the Jumped Plexi preset.... and we played the song. Sounded awesome. I did it just to see how well the factory presets would perform.. and it was solid. I adjusted NOTHING. My sound cut, had the right amount of bite, and simply sounded really good.
P.S....our vocalist killed it! Didn't know he had it in him.

Try matching the low resonance frequency to that of the speakers in your cab if you're running a poweramp to cab set up. I matched the low res frequency with the v30's in my orange 2x12 and I literally cannot distinguish it from a valve amp when comparing the model with the real thing side by side. It takes awhile, but tweaking will eventually get you the sound you're after. I researched forums, tweaked, and ask questions for a straight month before I was happy with my tone. Don't give up. This thing is an incredible piece of equipment.

Since the OP seems to have vanished, I'm closing this thread. It's easy to start a new one if needed. If a unit -- especially a used one as was the case here -- doesn't sound -- right out of the gate -- at least as good the many clips of our products that one can find online, something's wrong. Instead of using the forum in cases like this, I would probably also recommend contacting support. We offer personal service that's extremely responsive and on-point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom