Disappointed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am already taking cover when OPs THANK YOU! comes rolling like thunder through this forum.
Guys, you delivered a whole tool box of possible steps to solve the problem. I would be (insert title of thread) if he did not report back...

Yup. Nothing wrong with inspiration.

Now, if you're going out of your way to copy every single piece of gear, so you can sound exactly like someone...o_O

Most listeners (myself included) only care if a song is good, not whether the guy who wrote it has the exact same guitar tone as someone else.

I tried to keep this brief but it did't work...

I've always been a fan of guitar technology, since the 90's using pre amps by every manufacturer that even glanced outside of the analogue box, Digitech, Line 6 etc. Rocktron were the best by far for me,i tried all of their preamps and had a Prophesy for years and years, my rig consisted of the Prophecy and a Mesa 50/50 into a marshall, nice and simple.

I always recorded the Prophesy direct, i miked it up occasionally but the results were never really better, just unrepeatable :) Though, as i know you're all thinking, that couldn't exactly have been the holy grail of tone, and you're right, it wasn't, always had to dial out a lot of nasties after the fact, though i became very handy with a notch filter :) When i heard the first Axe FX i was gobsmacked, hearing all the great tones people were getting, then the Ultra came out etc etc... I decided to sell my whole rig and invest in one, that was about 6 or 7 years ago now.

It so transpired that the money i got for my gear just trickled in and trickled out, it wasn't even halfway to being enough money anyway even if it hadn't frittered away, so for the next few years i ended up going through every single software amp modeller ever made, for what it's worth, Amplitube 3 is the best in my opinion, TH2 is a close second, maybe followed by LePou with IR's if you can be even remotely arsed to work that hard to get a pleasing sound, which i guess kinda leads me to my point, but not before i mention Bias = Toy.

I did finally get an Axe FX a few months ago, i got the Axe FX 2 XL with the MFC101 mk3.

I'd arrived! Or so i thought.

I expect, i literally EXPECT, that for this amount of money, and all the good sounds i've heard people get with all of the AXE's, to be able to get through the first 100 presets and say wow that sounds great at least ONCE, just once, but nope, massively bassy, muddy, treble bereft sounds that i struggle to see how they would fit into any mix with out so much tweaking that i might as well have miked up an amp.

Now i'll try to nip some preconceptions in the bud because i know the fan boys will be seething by this point. Firstly, look back up to where i say Rocktron Prophesy lots of times, i'm not a technophobe, you can't even work with, let alone love a Prophesy if you are one, it's quite similar in it's complexity but with no software interface, i can twiddle for England! I have fiddled and twiddled my way to through this unit, and the quest for brightness and tightness in the box ends disappointingly every time, just a quick point here, a Fender Bassman with my PRS Custom 24 going through it IS NOT THAT DARK! End of... Usually if it was too dark you could simply move the mic closer to the centre of the speaker, this should have the potential of being waaaaay too bright but i think the AXE is allergic to treble so you don't have that option.

I am running my PRS, into the XL2, into a Universal Audio Quad, both USB and XLR, obviously i've tried both, there is no discernible difference, out of the Apollo and into a pair of ATC SCM20ASL monitors, pretty much as good as it gets quality wise, and i'm sitting here watching Kemper videos and thinking to myself "but what if i want to turn the gain down?" You can't, a Kemper isn't the answer for me either but why am i even looking at them?

Unless i'm missing something really major, i'm just really disappointed, i waited so long for one of these and i'm less inspired now than ever by my guitar tone, and i'm far from the only person making this exact complaint, but the responses these people get either end up being condescending or just plain stupid shit like "have you checked the tone knob on your guitar?" !!!!

i'm not expecting any help from here, but if you have the miracle answer please tell me, if you just want to flame me, keep it to yourself, as well as any questions that might even remotely fall into the dumb fuck category the above question fits so neatly into.

My final point is an example, i'm trying to remix an old track i recorded with the prophesy some years back, I thought it would be great to use my new AXE FX to bring some new life into the track with a higher fidelity guitar sound, but so far, and i've been at a for couple of weeks now, i cannot find a sound that even comes close to sounding as good as what's already recorded, that just ain't right, i sold the Rocktron for £350, i think i might just give up, i do not want a big old amp rig with loads of pedals and wires and shit, i never have, and there are no current viable hardware alternatives.

I suppose i do already have a whole bunch of modelling software, i've resisted until now but i think i'm going to whack an instance of Amplitube onto my project and give it whirl while i think about putting this thing on eBay.

:(

Just a short answer before i start reading what's written below your original post:
It took more than six months before I started to "like" the sound of my axe-fx.
I believe that there's a process at the end of which you cannot think about life without it. That moment for me was nearly a year after the purchase.
And a tip if you'd like: the moment i realised that it was a good device was when I got the Atomic CLR... So it was either a step backwards, which was to sell it, or forward, which was to listen to people and invest more.. I suppose I wanted to like it so much that I took the forward step :)

Trying to sound like someone else by figuring out what someone else use and how can be really educating.
Maybe you later find your own sound.
DId all y'all miss the part where there was a project in progress? My viewport on the situation leaves out taking a lot of time to figure out how to get other people's sound, solving issues and get him to his own sound in his head for his project sooner vice later. Solving all the mysteries of the Great Big (2U) Black Box can wait. I'm making large assumptions assumptions about priorities. There might be studio time and $$$ involved here or a deadline. We don't know.

It took more than six months before I started to "like" the sound of my axe-fx.

After six months that might be a fuzzy line between 'like" and "acclimated".

Me, I started out with my Axe-FX II playing through a pair of allegedly good FRFR monitors. This was FW 6 point something days. I thought the Axe was good. When the opportunity arose in the For Sale section to pick up a pair of CLRs from a kid who was dumping his gear to go to med school, I snapped 'em up and well all I have to say is, "damn what a difference". Real FRFR monitoring makes all the difference in the world. Oh and they do move some air.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I'm about to go buy some FRFR's and dump my Mesa 4 x 12 traditional cab. For personal use only, no shows or studio...any thoughts? Want at least a 1 x 12 in there...

I'm about to go buy some FRFR's and dump my Mesa 4 x 12 traditional cab. For personal use only, no shows or studio...any thoughts? Want at least a 1 x 12 in there...
love my CLR but Atomic is currently out of stock, and are known for very long periods between restocking. if you're looking for more immediate gratification, Some folk like Friedman ASM , and Mick at Xitone has many fans here,he
May have something in stock. I find the Gemini 2 from Mission Engineering very intriguing for home use, stereo 2x12 with great digital and analog ins.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=gemini+2

love my CLR but Atomic is currently out of stock, and are known for very long periods between restocking. if you're looking for more immediate gratification, Some folk like Friedman ASM , and Mick at Xitone has many fans here,he
May have something in stock. I find the Gemini 2 from Mission Engineering very intriguing for home use, stereo 2x12 with great digital and analog ins.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=gemini+2
The Gemini II was a great sounding cab that I got to experience first hand at Mission headquarters a couple years back right before it was released. They hosted a NorCal Axe Fx event and were great folks that were also very gracious.

If you buy one go direct to them rather than thru Sweetwater - helps their profit margin!

would you expect to be able to just walk into a control room with a $150,000 SSL console and $250,000 worth of mics and gear and just 'whip up a sound'? this box is literally a dual core COMPUTER that recreates analog circuits in the virtual realm. Stephen Carpenter of the deftones paid a dude to fly out of build presets for him cause he was too stoned to figure it out. i bought a II when the first came out and never could get a good sound out of it using the built in amps together, but when i would use just the triaxis model or Mark IV with power amps off running into a power amp and cab it was SPOT ON, it absolutely shredded just like the real thing, and the effects are worth the price alone by itself.

the thing is there is a whole buttload of interaction between the power amp, master volume, speaker resonance curve, the IR you're using (THE BIGGEST FACTOR), and the power settings, that if you don't know what you're doing and just start EQing and turning knobs you can fall down a rabbit hole that basically will just consume you and piss you off. (por ejemplo, the MV knob from 1 to 2 makes a lot of change. anything past 3 and it will start to fall apart. if you turn up the MV to say 4, and don't know why the bass is crapping it's pants, and you so you start to lower the bass knob, or start to add EQs, or start to add a drive block to "tighten up the low end", you basically arrive at the conclusion that THIS AMP SUCKS. the amp doesn't suck. you suck. the MV is too damn high. you just didn't know it. and because your ears aren't bleeding, you wouldn't know it because it's in virtual land.)

I SOLD THE DAMN THING after 2 years of it sitting there pissing me off, with maybe 12 hours total use on it. A year later i'm driving a truck and cannot for the life of me stop thinking about how it would sound to do this or do that, and missing having a house full of gear that i could get drunk and experiment with. then i remembered there was a box that lets you do that! but this time i been lurking the forums to maybe learn wtf i'm doing, and lo and BONE APPLE TEA bitches the rectifier does actually breathes fire through headphones. i will post some clips soon of what i've worked up, i've narrowed it down to basic psychoacoustic trickery.

Haha.
The whole of above post is very true. However, this bit below was totally me about a year ago. Couldn't have put it better myself:):)

the thing is there is a whole buttload of interaction between the power amp, master volume, speaker resonance curve, the IR you're using (THE BIGGEST FACTOR), and the power settings, that if you don't know what you're doing and just start EQing and turning knobs you can fall down a rabbit hole that basically will just consume you and piss you off. (por ejemplo, the MV knob from 1 to 2 makes a lot of change. anything past 3 and it will start to fall apart. if you turn up the MV to say 4, and don't know why the bass is crapping it's pants, and you so you start to lower the bass knob, or start to add EQs, or start to add a drive block to "tighten up the low end", you basically arrive at the conclusion that THIS AMP SUCKS. the amp doesn't suck. you suck. the MV is too damn high. you just didn't know it. and because your ears aren't bleeding, you wouldn't know it because it's in virtual land.)

Xitone powered 1x12 Wedge. You'd swear you have a Celestion packed 4x12 cab in the room.

Interesting...and do you think the passive ones would work as well? I have a Matrix GT1000...which is why I ask.

I wish the OP Lain Hamilton would chime back in. He's had a lot of great suggestions. I'd like to know how he's fairing. The technology shift on Axe Fx can be a massive undertaking unless you're really already tech savvy. I saw he was also having issues way back with USB connectivity. Maybe there's something else going on in his set up.

For the record I got pretty much the same sound out of my Genelec M040 studio monitors as I did using the Atomic FR 1x12. Sold the Atomic. Obviously the monitors start losing volume a lot quicker when you move away from them but tonewise they were on par, perhaps sounded even better and obviously stereo as well. So if you don't have great studio monitors yet you could get two birds with one stone.

My Prosonus Scepter's (coaxial design) sound pretty identical to my Atomic CLR, however, being a near-field monitor, they have a bit of a narrower sweet spot (though wider than many monitors) compared to the CLR which was designed with wide dispersion in mind.

As such, I really enjoy playing through the CLR more as I can move around a bit and still get the same accord reproduction. With my monitors, if I'm sitting at my desk they sound great, but don't allow me to move around the room as much. CLR just sounds great anywhere near it. That and it makes a nice footrest while playing lol, which I like to do when standing up.

The CLR certainly can get punchier too, with its 12" speaker and 500watts of power, when cranked up louder. My desktop monitors produce plenty of volume for my needs, but the CLR when cranked up really moves some air like a real cab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom