Disappointed in the user interface

Are you not disagreeing with me or am I mistaken?

Well I'm not sure how you could make that statement since you have not used an FX8. But that was my point... the fanboy gushing passes by whilst even a remotely critical comment gets jumped on as being negative or something. It's proper cult of personality behaviour.

Here's a question, how would you like the user interface to look like? Could you provide a mockup perhaps?

Kinda funny actually, I made a mockup of something that looked like an FX8 *years* ago, but from a TC Electronic perspective, and I sent it to 'em. Here's hoping they're working on it right now!

Don't get me wrong either - I DO want one... perhaps I'll wait for a 2nd hand one or a b-stock. I know if I sold my current board now, I wouldn't even make half of what I'd need to buy an FX-8, and my Axe is getting sold to fund an incoming Fryette Sig X.

it loses credibility as simple criticism when it's filled with exaggerations such as saying it's akin to something from the 80's. some of the fault for the backlash falls at the OP's fault as well...

Ummm....

image.jpg

Eventide h3000 anyone?

I love my axefx and I am a front panel programmer almost exclusively. I find it isn't particularly intuitive to program but that's not why I bought it. I care more about how it sounds.

I do wish it had a more knobs and switches which default to each particular amp model. Considering each channel of a multi-channel amp is a separate amp block, as few as 8 rotary controllers would probably do it.
I also agree with the OP about the resolution of the screen. The more info displayable in one go, the less need to scroll through menus.

These two things alone aren't exactly big waves are they? And they would vastly improve the front panel programming experience.

Programmers credo: If it was hard to write, it should be hard to use. :)

But seriously, I don't think that anyone believes that a bunch of dummies work at Fractal Audio Systems. There is a rationale for the UI layout and design. Just because some of us don't know that rationale doesn't make the engineers stupid or careless. I'd rather FAS spend their $$ on engineering the best sound in the world. I'm happy to look at a little less eye-candy and produce more ear-candy for the multitudes. But that's just me.

Wasn't referring to an FX8. I don't own one. I was referring to the Axe II.

Well I'm not sure how you could make that statement since you have not used an FX8. But that was my point... the fanboy gushing passes by whilst even a remotely critical comment gets jumped on as being negative or something. It's proper cult of personality behaviour.

This thread...wow. Both sides are defensive and both sides are giving a little jab into each other. Think about when Cliff reads the OP...he might take it into consideration. Now if he reads 800 pages of back and forth and childishness from both sides I bet he stops caring and we all lose out on cool products and user development business strats. WHo cares if the OP isn't impressed by the FX8? I don't and neither should you.

Yes, yes I was, though I didn't play guitar then. That said, the Axe-Fx/FX8 user interface isn't all that far off from the rack units of the time. Lots of value knobs and poorly placed buttons.

I already said in my initial post that by modern user interface I don't mean touch screens. Nor color screens. The screen could be bigger and higher resolution so more info can be crammed on it. The controls could employ something akin to a game console controller D-pad for selection and navigation, the buttons could be arranged better and there could be more knobs for quick adjustments. For similar floorboards I think TC electronic and Line6 have done a far better job when it comes to user interfaces. For example I think the Line 6 M13 manages to bundle a really nice amount of info on their limited displays, in a way that intuitively ties to the hardware controls. That's what I was using before the Axe-Fx and it was generally a joy to use.

First of all, let's look at some of the popular front panels UI's and displays of popular guitar fx processors from the 80's that a lot of working musicians had at the time and then look at the front of the FAS units:
DSCN0057_zps7fc7cc2e.jpg
yamaha-spx900-244603.jpg
f11t528p8622539n1.gif
61110c828f18ab6157bd8efc28ad1842.jpg
Nope, I don't see the similarity to display or UI.

Back in the 80's, we would have killed for a UI with tabs on the screen, multiple parameters to edit per page, and half the processing power of the FAS units, never mind having a software editor.

Even doing a google image search, I can't find a resemblance to the FAS UI:
https://www.google.com/search?newwi...9.6.6.0....0...1c.1.55.img..6.0.0.jz_8puKxLcE

Even the H-3000 was more of a bitch to navigate in a pinch.

So unless there was a pocket universe or bizzaro 1980's I did not experience, I don't see how FAS interfaces or displays resemble anything from the 80's.

The M13 has even less info per display than the FAS units.

If people really wanted video game controller type UI's, don't you think Roland/Boss or Yamaha, who both do a ton of research into desired UI for their end users, would have come up with something like that already?

Perhaps, this type of UI is your million dollar idea to start up in your basement or garage, like Cliff did.

Last edited:
Well, like I said, I was referring to the AXE display, not the FX8 display. I see this thread is in a FX8 discussion forum. I did not realize that because I just click on the new posts link and read. The OP sounded as if he was referring to the AXE display. So that's what I was commenting on. My bad. Sorry.

I honestly still have no idea what you're talking about. Can you just rewind completely and be more thorough with what you're trying to say?

Sorry, but the layout and things like the grid editing on the front panel of the Axe beat the pants off the H3000 (I know, I've owned one since the 1980's.). Nothing close during that time. You are beating a dead horse with completely specious hyperbole...
Ummm....

View attachment 23397

Eventide h3000 anyone?

I love my axefx and I am a front panel programmer almost exclusively. I find it isn't particularly intuitive to program but that's not why I bought it. I care more about how it sounds.

I do wish it had a more knobs and switches which default to each particular amp model. Considering each channel of a multi-channel amp is a separate amp block, as few as 8 rotary controllers would probably do it.
I also agree with the OP about the resolution of the screen. The more info displayable in one go, the less need to scroll through menus.

These two things alone aren't exactly big waves are they? And they would vastly improve the front panel programming experience.

Back
Top Bottom