Disappointed in the reverb

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of reverb do you like? I was big fan of big reverbs. But after spending 10 years as a sound designer i like them suttle. And now use early reflections even more the late.... Thin actually means absolutely nothing! Just try to EQ and/or compress it - you`ll find alot :) Frequency response and pre delay - are keys to our perception. Just try to boost some frequensy using built in eq (in rev block).

Many people hate reverb in Ableton... sure srtrange thing... but if you can.... you can saturate it, eq compress...

For lush reverb use modulation! Suttlest chorus in front of reverb can imrove things vastly...mod delay with big diffusion parameter...

Thats why i suggested saturation block for the Axe. Its purpose is different then drive but contemporary sound design is impossible without it.... AND Maybe SATURATION parameter for reverb also is not so bad idea.....
I look at it like a construction set....

I just think it sounds thin and kind of fake. I used the high cut and I don't think it's about that. It's just the way it sounds overall, it's kind of hard to described in words but kind of synthetic.

Post clips of the verb you like and I'm sure someone can help you get it?

I'm not super in love with the AxeFx reverb either.

But its certainly good enough to gig with for me.

I have noticed on posted clips when there is a reverb or delay I admire, they almost always involve tweaks that would not have been obvious to me. Not just simple EQ adjustments.

Maybe just some tweaked out block settings from the gurus? Or make some of the default different?

I'm not super in love with the AxeFx reverb either.

But its certainly good enough to gig with for me.

I have noticed on posted clips when there is a reverb or delay I admire, they almost always involve tweaks that would not have been obvious to me. Not just simple EQ adjustments.

Maybe just some tweaked out block settings from the gurus? Or make some of the default different?

Reverb is a part of our perception. Very important part. So deling a reverb is not simply tweaking knobs in a block. It involves also tonal changes equing and combination with delay. Not in the manner - just put them in parralel and choose this type. Mny times i discovered OWFULLY sounding reverbs more suitable for situation.... It is very hard to translate becuse for example i spent many years tweaking... and it is more about experience... and there`s no end of it :)

Guitar tone is very rich of harmonic content... so why we need rich reverb for guitar??? We dont. Ok may be sometime for ambient we neet lush long lasting reverbs (this can be accomplished woth multy delay and reverb + chorus).. But what the exact effect we need on a guitar?
For most cases we need the sensation of space and echo.
There are two types of echo that we need to simulate. One is Early reflections which give us information about size and configuration of space. The second type - FX, where echoing is musical and corresponds to musical information.
In axe fx II we have perfect tools for it.

First tool is not reverb block!! It is cab`s room simulator wich is gorgeous!! It gives very good feeling of a room space. IT SHOULD BE NOT NOTICABLE in most cases but our brain will notice.
The second is a Reverb block.
And to enrich it - delay in parralel or sometime serial if we need diffused reverb.
Multidelay in plexy mode cand produce lush textures.....

And there is always balance between tone itself and the reverb tone. Sometime they do not match. Our brain tells us - it is a lie! But then we just need to fool him.... Mutch frequency response with a tone....
This subject can take a book to cover......

I hear you guys. I know it can be worked with I'm just discussing an overall thinness that I can't seem to shake. I'm not saying that it's a crap reverb either and it's definitely enough to gig with but there is lots of room for improvement in the fx department especially reverb. The hardwire digitech series is a bit different than their earlier stuff its using lexicon algorithm. To me it's one of the better pedals on the market so it's no scrub.

I hear you guys. I know it can be worked with I'm just discussing an overall thinness that I can't seem to shake. I'm not saying that it's a crap reverb either and it's definitely enough to gig with but there is lots of room for improvement in the fx department especially reverb. The hardwire digitech series is a bit different than their earlier stuff its using lexicon algorithm. To me it's one of the better pedals on the market so it's no scrub.
I listened to examples how this pedal sounds.
What can i say - room simultor in a cab is your friend. And plate reverb type also... i dont hear nothing that i cant make on AXE exept reversed reverb.

Last edited:
Man I feel like a chump for trying to help you with info about the Eclipse. I own both Eclipse and AxeFX so I thought I was being a nice guy by taking the time to respond to your questions.

Edit: deleted my other comments that were not necessary. I'm pissed at myself, I got suckered into answering questions from the OP at another forum. I spent time responding in an informative and helpful way. And now it looks like the OP had made up his mind before starting these threads. So the time I spent typing up that informative and helpful response was a total waste of time. ANd that is why I am upset. No good (online) deed goes unpunished, it seems.

Last edited:
Man I feel like a chump for trying to help you with info about the Eclipse. I own both Eclipse and AxeFX so I thought I was being a nice guy by taking the time to respond to your questions.

Now I see you are just a troll.

You will receive no additional assistance from me.

Good luck with your Eclipse. You will need it if you continue to alienate those that can help

Thanks. As for the troll remark I hardly ever post, look how long it's been since my last thread I started. If you don't like my opinions don't read them. And how did I alienate anyone? Did I insult you? If people can't take criticism of this precious devise then why have an open forum? Btw eclipse is already purchased. I will compare the fx quality against the axe when it arrives and post my results, but you don't have to read them if it makes you feel like a chump.

Well most people on this forum love the effects. Most professional guitarists have techs do whatever they want and they still choose Axe-Fx although they could use expensive hardware gear.

So... maybe you're doing something wrong.

+1 /0.2

I came from the TC G-system that albeit serious limitations in number-crunching adapts TC's marvel in reverb. But the Axe has way better capabilities to process and dial-in any reverb of your taste. But - as it has been mentioned in this thread - it's not just dialing one or two knobs.

Thanks. As for the troll remark I hardly ever post, look how long it's been since my last thread I started. If you don't like my opinions don't read them. And how did I alienate anyone? Did I insult you? If people can't take criticism of this precious devise then why have an open forum? Btw eclipse is already purchased. I will compare the fx quality against the axe when it arrives and post my results, but you don't have to read them if it makes you feel like a chump.
Sorry for calling you a troll. That was uncalled for and I apologize.

I have edited my post accordingly.

Good luck with your Eclipse.

What kind of reverb do you like? I was big fan of big reverbs. But after spending 10 years as a sound designer i like them suttle. And now use early reflections even more the late.... Thin actually means absolutely nothing! Just try to EQ and/or compress it - you`ll find alot :) Frequency response and pre delay - are keys to our perception. Just try to boost some frequensy using built in eq (in rev block).

Many people hate reverb in Ableton... sure srtrange thing... but if you can.... you can saturate it, eq compress...

For lush reverb use modulation! Suttlest chorus in front of reverb can imrove things vastly...mod delay with big diffusion parameter...

Thats why i suggested saturation block for the Axe. Its purpose is different then drive but contemporary sound design is impossible without it.... AND Maybe SATURATION parameter for reverb also is not so bad idea.....
I look at it like a construction set....

I like a lexicon reverb that fastens the sound and gives it depth. I would get the lexicon pcm 80 or 90 but i need a few other things like pitch shift and ring mod along with crystals. I have said I don't hate the axe reverb but also I don't love it. Actually as cliff suggested and then deleted his comment I am pretty much 99% sure that I'm going to sell the axe. Just want to compare to the eclipse first.

is nonsense to help someone who is not looking for help, and is only claiming for nothing, but we all should keep polite.

Edit: deleted my other comments that were not necessary. I'm pissed at myself, I got suckered into answering questions from the OP at another forum. I spent time responding in an informative and helpful way. And now it looks like the OP had made up his mind before starting these threads. So the time I spent typing up that informative and helpful response was a total waste of time. ANd that is why I am upset. No good (online) deed goes unpunished, it seems.

I don't know maybe I'm blind but where in this thread are you posting about helping me? I looked back and I'm sorry if I missed it.

The Axe is a Swiss knife, doing most everything near perfect "in-one-box". We can allways find better dedicated boxes with more capabilities, but again, we would be back to huge racks and no money in the wallet. This thread should cover "how to get the best reverb out of the Axe".

Ok I see. Still don't know what your beef is. I thank you for your input and I was trying to get as much info as possible and I made my decision. I don't know why that makes you upset.

I think it's a general block issue, if it is at all. You can adjust anything, but there are no useful default presets within the block, that you could pick from.

If you know what you are doing you can create anything, but if you are a simple user, then you are just wondering around in the dark.

Last edited:
I think it's a general block issue, if it is at all. You can adjust anything, but there are no useful default presets within the block, that you could pick from.

If you know what you are doing you can create anything, but if you are a simple user, then you are just wondering around in the dark.

I probably fall in the middle.

I'm familiar enough with using outboard reverb and plugs. So I'm not too lost.

But I can't get a rich verb up in just a couple of moves either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom