Disable preamp in Amp Block?

With amp match everyone should be able to "profile" power amp only... ;)
Untrue. Fractal has stated that amp modeling is done at component level. Therefore, the preamp is always "active." The best one could hope to achieve, theoretically, would be "preamp in front of an amp." IOW, the outboard preamp is like a... pedal.

This is also dependent upon what "matching" will be offered. "Tone Matching" (filter matching, essentially) would seemingly provide the cleanest path. Problem is, inherently, "matching" a power amp minus a speaker would be... beyond difficult. Thus, the facility to "bypass an Amp Block model's preamp section" (effectively) is relegated solely to a software option. But, I can see where some might find the suggested option.. attractive.

I still think it'd be nice to have a couple of modeled power amps in the FXII, maybe 2 Marshalls a 100w Plexi & 50w 800, a couple of 6L6 power sections like a 5150 & a Mesa, maybe the power section of the Bogner Shiva 20th anniversary w/the KT88s & maybe something with EL 84s. That'd cover 6 good options for reamping.

I don't know if I'd use it live but for studio use I'd be all over it!

I'd like that as well, though until it happens which isn't likely check out the Two Notes Torpedo's power amp sims.!

I still think it'd be nice to have a couple of modeled power amps in the FXII, maybe 2 Marshalls a 100w Plexi & 50w 800, a couple of 6L6 power sections like a 5150 & a Mesa, maybe the power section of the Bogner Shiva 20th anniversary w/the KT88s & maybe something with EL 84s. That'd cover 6 good options for reamping.

I don't know if I'd use it live but for studio use I'd be all over it!

Fractal has stated that amp modeling is done at component level. Therefore, the preamp is always "active."
Any rack power amp is: gain stage, splitter, power tubes. So you should choose any "2 stage preamp" (preamp is "recovery stage" in any head) like fender, or vox, or mesa, or dumble... and let the amp be matched (amp, no TONE match). I see no big problem using a dummy load or a voltage divider to stole a line signal when cab is in isolation box.

STM113: Any standalone power amp modelers should be welcome, but if there was preamp bypass we could use any already modeled power amp.

I know Cliff do no want to unlock the beast (preamp bypass). Matching could be a cute solution, Torpedo another one.

"Any rack power amp is: gain stage, splitter, power tubes", plus Output Transformer.

The problem of EQ Matching a tube power amp is that if you are driving it at it's sweet spot (i.e. into compression and distortion which is the whole point etc), then it's response is non-linear and not reproducible by EQ Matching alone, though in theory Profiling can do it?

I have the Torpedo power amp sims and they work great.

It's too bad FAS doesn't want to separate their preamp and power amp, though I understand their unwillingness due to it being easier to reverse engineer the Amp Blocks if they're separate.

Any rack power amp is: gain stage, splitter, power tubes. So you should choose any "2 stage preamp" (preamp is "recovery stage" in any head) like fender, or vox, or mesa, or dumble... and let the amp be matched (amp, no TONE match). I see no big problem using a dummy load or a voltage divider to stole a line signal when cab is in isolation box.

STM113: Any standalone power amp modelers should be welcome, but if there was preamp bypass we could use any already modeled power amp.

I know Cliff do no want to unlock the beast (preamp bypass). Matching could be a cute solution, Torpedo another one.

The problem of EQ Matching a tube power amp is that if you are driving it at it's sweet spot ... then it's response is non-linear and not reproducible by EQ Matching alone
Amp match is no tone match: it should match the amp dynamic as close as the model can (obviously if you use a powerball to nail vintage fender clean you should fail!).
Cliff told us he is workin on both amp match and tone match.
If only tone match will be released, than you're right! :)

The inherent issue is how an "Amp Match" would even work. If it is similar to "The Great Unmentionable," then it is a process that is inclusive, and inseparable, of all components utilized along with the power amp one desires to "model." With the Axe having a claimed modeling at component level, and also claiming to model the Triaxis and JMP-1, this would indicate an inherent separability.

Realizing those things, a "neutralizing" of the preamp of certain models is what I was after, along with preferred models/methods Axe users found to work pleasingly for them. It has been a great learning experience... and, perhaps unfortunately, it has led me to discover that I simply prefer "real amps" (for now?). Maybe the "Mythical Six" will "change the world."

Hmmm, so they're calling "Profiling", "Amp Match", I see LOL!

Agreed, so it's wait and see time...

Amp match is no tone match: it should match the amp dynamic as close as the model can (obviously if you use a powerball to nail vintage fender clean you should fail!).
Cliff told us he is workin on both amp match and tone match.
If only tone match will be released, than you're right! :)

The inherent issue is how an "Amp Match" would even work.
I don't care, let Cliff do the hard work! In the meantime, I enjoy both axefx and real amp! ;)

In theory amp match should, given a model of a schematic (ie, twin, mark1, express, overdrive special...) select the right value of each component (hence bias, filter and level) to match as close as possible the real amp.

Back
Top Bottom