Dirty Shirley 1 .... small tip / tweak that helped a *lot* with my S/Coil Guitars

ben ifin

Experienced
Hey all !

Far and away my favorite amp in the A3 [ and my old A2 ] is the Dirty Shirley 1 - I've said before its probably worth the price of admission just for this one model - the DS2 is a bit too gainy for my liking.

I've been setting up some DS1 tones with my Tele and Jazzmaster - so this tip is for S/Coil users - i dont know if it would translate well to HB's - I haven't tried.

The DS1 is a very "alive" and "bright" amp with lots of high mids and highs ... to my ears, more-so in the A3 than the A2.

And as we know, Tele's and even more-so Jazzmasters are also quite bright and sometimes a bit-too high-end-gritty .... put the 2 together and I was struggling with everything to tame the "excessive bite" to no avail .... then ....

Tip ...... use the 230k Input impedance instead of 1M - and to compensate, up the gain to your liking and drop the Bass a bit and up the Treble and Presence a whisker .... to my ears .... perfect ... plenty of DS1 bite and clarity and without the granite-splitting-frequencies :)

If you use the DS1 in the A3 with a S/Coil guitar, I'd recommend trying the above ! :)

Hope this is of help to others.

Ben

Another method would be to lower the High Cut in the Amp block Input EQ section.

Thanks. I did try that too - almost got me there - I swept for the "nasty freq" and with my guitars it was bang-on around 2.6k so I " Q " cut the Input Eq there as narrowly as I could but it still lost too much "good" brightness. Its a crazy [great] amp .... but its a bright bugger !! :)

On all my other amps, the new Input EQ Section has been a god-send ..... lo-cuts around 50hz - 70hz and hi cuts down to around 12k are almost "standard" for my rig.

Thanks again,
Ben

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll give them a shot as I use those types of guitars a lot.

Which cab are you favouring, Ben?

Thanks.

Not a stock Cab - I use one of the Michael Britt Cabs from his IR Pack - either his 2 x 12 [ Alnico + CL80] " MB Mult 2 " -or- his 2 x 12 [2 x CL80] " MB 3P B 212 6 3 "

His Cabs are sublime - perfect for live CLR use and no hi/lo cuts needed - he's baked the perfect cuts in ! :) Best $30 I ever spent :)

Ive always been a huge fan of what I reckon is Celestions most underrated speaker - the Classic Lead CL80 - really punchy and immediate attack - my "real" cab is also a 2 x 12 CL80.

All the best,
Ben

Thanks.

Not a stock Cab - I use one of the Michael Britt Cabs from his IR Pack - either his 2 x 12 [ Alnico + CL80] " MB Mult 2 " -or- his 2 x 12 [2 x CL80] " MB 3P B 212 6 3 "

His Cabs are sublime - perfect for live CLR use and no hi/lo cuts needed - he's baked the perfect cuts in ! :) Best $30 I ever spent :)

Ive always been a huge fan of what I reckon is Celestions most underrated speaker - the Classic Lead CL80 - really punchy and immediate attack - my "real" cab is also a 2 x 12 CL80.

All the best,
Ben
My favorite speaker of all-time. Gigged a quad of those for 20 years.

it's always interesting how we all hear so differently/have different tastes. I didn't like one IR in the Micahel Britt stuff, lol.

Back
Top Bottom