Direct to FOH Rig with IEM and vocals?

Hi there,

I am currently looking for advice on how to setup a direct to FOH Rig using the Axe FX ii.

I have the Axe FX ii paired with the MFC101 and a Shure PSM300 IEM system.
What I would like to do is send all guitars to FOH direct and control my own monitor mix from onstage along with my vocal monitoring. What sort of mixer would you recommend? Any suggestions?

Im trying to be careful with the cost and also a decent flight case that isn’t too deep.

Thanks for your help.

Danny

Are you mixing the entire band or just your monitor send?

Typically you ask the sound engineer to send you a mix without your vocal and guitar, then separate signals for vocals and guitar. If that can happen, then any small mixer with enough inputs can work.

But this is rarely possible at most gigs. Depending where you play, most house mixers don’t have that capability for so many sends unless there is a dedicated monitor engineer as well.

Thanks for the reply, Chris.
So long as I can hear my vocals and guitar I’d be happy. Balancing the two levels is the main concern though.

I assume the Axe Fx would be fed into a mixer onstage and then sent to FOH. Whilst a feed from the soundest with vocals is fed into the mixer onstage then control the two?

Not really into multiple inputs/outputs thing, so just guessing, but... could it be possible just to send guitars FOH through output 1, feed the vocals into input 2, prepare presets which, in addition to the FOH chain, pack FX return and guitar monitor signal into a mixer and feed the output of this mixer into output 2?

That would be 0$, except for whatever device you use to get the vocals into input 2, a mic preamp or something like that.

I take one output of Axe, and one output from house mixer into my IEM. The IEM box has a balance control: the house feed has everything but the guitar, my own direct cable from Axe naturally has guitar only. Instant physical tweakability on my belt. 👍

I use a Rolls PM351, I send Axe-2 ouput 1 to FOH, output 2 to gtr input on the rolls in stereo. The mic input has a thru to FOH. The other input of the Rolls is the band mix from FOH mixer. Works a treat is compact and has plenty of drive for the IEMs. I tell the house mix not to give any of my guitar.

I have an older (new old stock) whirlwind 4 channel stereo xlr mixer. It's one rack space. I run guitar L & R in channels 1 & 2, and then my vocal mic split in 3, and then get a band mix without the aforementioned items in it, and put it in 4. Out stereo out of that into my IEM. It also has a aux in so i can run my phone into it and listen to music if i have to brush up on something. I have thought about doing it all in the axe, but it's too much to setup in each preset, and keep futzting with.

Back
Top Bottom