Direct to board vs Mic'ing up

Griff_NZ

Inspired
Hey guys.
Need some input from some more experienced gigging musos with regards to running direct to the board vs mic'ing my cab. I've only ever mic'ed my cabs at shows with my tube amps, and more recently my Atomic Amplifire into amp and cab with cab sims off. We've always had compliments on our sound, so have just left it at that. The main reason I suppose is because I love the sound of a traditional setup on stage with a bit of volume.
The Axe FX is truly a different breed though, it sounds so much better than anything else I've played through, and the options with IR's and advanced speaker parameters is too good to ignore.
So I'm wondering if I'm missing out not going direct to the board in terms of overall improvement of Live sound. I'm kinda put off a little though because I don't want to be cycling endlessly through IR's, done that before.
I'm getting quite incredible tones from the Axe going into tube power amp and a 212. So yeah, mic up with an e906 and an SM57 is what I prefer to do but we're always trying to improve our live sound.
So yeah, who's tried both ways and what do you prefer?

it sorta doesn't matter what others prefer, it's what you need on stage.

many run direct to the board, and a cab setup on stage at the same time. definitely possible, but you would have to spend some time finding IRs that sound like what you want for the direct signal.

i don't think you're "missing out" by not using a direct line. mic'ing a cab on stage has worked forever, and it still works today. definitely try direct if you have time, but i wouldn't worry about it too much.

personally i only ever go direct and use full range powered speakers for my stage monitors. it's mostly convenience that i have the same tone going to my speakers and the PA system, as well as not making 2 different setups and carrying different gear. in a pinch, i can use any full range monitor at the venue if i need to, with a bit of Global EQ to dial in for the room and different speaker. but that's me and my situations.

Hi Griff,
As you are using a guitar cab, I’d be taking a combined approach by micing the cab, and including a send to the desk from one of the axes output via a cab block (which of course should be as close to the cab you are using as you can get).
That way, your sound guy/girl can select or mix as they see appropriate.
If you’re going to try that approach, another thing to try may be to make an ir of your cab using the absolute best gear you can find....even hiring a studio or buddy for a couple of hours if you don’t have the gear, and making a set of irs that are as close to your cab as they can be. Then you could use a mix of those irs in your cab block, before it goes to the desk. The theory behind that of course is that the desk would then be getting the sound of your cab in ideal conditions without any non linear artifacts caused by mic selection or positioning or acoustics.
Sheesh I just read over that and it sounds way more complex than it should! It’s not that bad once you get the hang of it.
Thanks
Pauly

I understood that don't worry 😉
I think I will try some different IR's next time I'm having a play. I may find one that sounds similar to my cab. Playing through K100s and they are awesome!
Thanks fellas.

You could always make IR's of your 2x12 cabinet with your preferred microphones and use that as your go-to IR Cab for live performances as well as having your cab onstage. That way you would have a clean feed to the mixer without any leakage from onstage mics to drive The P.A. and monitors as well.

Back
Top Bottom