Direct FOH - Delay Block Question

Satch4u3

Experienced
I am finding that when I dial in my lead patches at home on headphones, specifically the delay block, the delay is not as apparent when I am playing direct FOH. It's like it gets lost. I have to compensate it by dialing in much more mix. Just wondering if there is any reason for this.

Room reflections can mask the delay.

this is why there is an global offset for Reverb and Effects mix in the Global menu. You can turn this on in an effect in a preset and then use the global offset to adjust the relative mix for the room.

it could also be because when you're dialling in at home, you have an infinite noise floor. if your delay repeats are 50% of your guitar level, then you will hear them clearly. when you're playing with the band, the noise floor is raised considerably. if the other members of the band are creating a sound that's near 90% of your guitar level, then the delay repeats will be virtually inaudible.

Room reflections can mask the delay.

Absolutely. Plus, the room can turn electronically-applied reverbs/delays into mush through cancellations and augmentations.

Electronic reverb and delay are both primarily used to simulate room effects. That's why they'll call them "hall", "cathedral", "auditorium", etc. If you're already in a hall or cathedral (or any "live" room), you don't need much of the effect, if any at all. It's created naturally by the room itself. In the studio (or bedroom), you need the electronic version because the recording rooms are usually more or less dead.

Of course, there are specialized versions of those effects that are used for artistic reasons, like reverse, gated, tapped, etc. reverb and in those cases, you might use them even in a room where natural reverberations occur. That's different, and requires special treatment.

I am finding this in all sorts of rooms. Even in really "dry" rooms. I was unaware of the global offset parameter. I will be sure and give that a try.

In a kind of unrelated question but still related to direct FOH... Is it possible to have phasing type issues if you are only using mono everywhere in your layout chain? Is the Studio reverb considered stereo or mono? That would be my only unknown as far as if it is mono or not.

Edit: I am running direct to FOH using Output 1 - XLR

Relative to apparent phasing issues, you might want to read this short piece.

Basically, it's possible to have what seem to be phasing problems simply due to how sound sources, mics and speakers are spaced/laid out and where you are in relation to them.

I'm not saying you're new to this stuff, but I know myself and many others will tell stories about what a shock it is going from practicing in your basement/bedroom and getting on stage. "He's got a Marshall stack over there, fer crissakes! How can I not hear him?" <grin>

I will give that a read for sure but the phasing that I am referring to can be heard in my rec room over headphones where no mics or any other instruments are present.

Relative to apparent phasing issues, you might want to read this short piece.

Basically, it's possible to have what seem to be phasing problems simply due to how sound sources, mics and speakers are spaced/laid out and where you are in relation to them.

I'm not saying you're new to this stuff, but I know myself and many others will tell stories about what a shock it is going from practicing in your basement/bedroom and getting on stage. "He's got a Marshall stack over there, fer crissakes! How can I not hear him?" <grin>

I will give that a read for sure but the phasing that I am referring to can be heard in my rec room over headphones where no mics or any other instruments are present.

which delay type are you using?

Mono Digital

Back
Top Bottom