Direct Box for the Axe FX

svl

Power User
Question- if you were going to buy a "just in case" DI for the Axe (XL), what would you buy (or if you have one already, what do you use)? Want to pick up a "just in case the board doesn't pad/ engineers an idiot" box to stick in my bag 'o tricks.

Would like to stay XLR in and out, but not a deal breaker.

Radial has many excellent direct boxes. I used the J48 in the past which is active but they have passive ones as well. Countryman Type 85 is a classic. If you are handy with a soldering iron the Ferrite Passive DI is a great product for only $100. I don't think you'll need one. Padding isn't an issue since you can control the gain. If the engineer is an idiot what you need in your bag of tricks is a hammer. Actually I might try to find some article or post by and "authority" you can carry around to say "...see if so-and-so is doing this I think we can too..."

The only reason I can ever see the need for a DI is to eliminate ground loops. My pick to do that would be a Radial JDI. It provides transformer isolation (Jensen).

Terry.

Question- if you were going to buy a "just in case" DI for the Axe (XL), what would you buy (or if you have one already, what do you use)? Want to pick up a "just in case the board doesn't pad/ engineers an idiot" box to stick in my bag 'o tricks.

Would like to stay XLR in and out, but not a deal breaker.

If it's XLR in and out, why not just run XLR out of Fractal -> desk? The DI would not be providing any function would it? Or do you want a pad or level change too?

I do run the XLR to the desk (I go direct 90% of the time, and when I do run FRFR in conjunction with FOH I use Output 2 to go to my monitors), I'm looking for a idiot-proof pad box, just looking for suggestions on what brands you guys use.

I'm asking for suggestions because not every desk I encounter has a pad on it, and not every sound tech is intelligent enough (even after NUMEROUS times telling him I need a pad on the channel because I'm giving him a line level signal) is smart enough to use it even if it does have one. Turning down the output level doesn't always help- had a fest gig, no soundcheck, tech was a moron, had my output down to practically zero and was still distorting. Told him and his dumbass assistant a thousand times to pad the channel, they just didn't get it or care. If I had had a DI with me I'd have been just fine, lesson learned, looking for the best at a decent price.

Figured the Radial JDI Duplex (because it has XLR ins, which I'd ideally like to use) was the way to go, but was just hoping someone knew of a good alternative that was cheaper. Thanks for the suggestions on boxes.

And Krakadon, I do carry a hammer and often want to use it, but trying to stay out of jail is a high priority nowadays. :)

Sorry I wasn't clear on you wanting a pad.

The JDI is the way to go. The price is high but you get two channels and the audio quality is great, they are built like tanks, and have tons of options. I have one and love it.

I also have the Countryman. I really like the sound of the Countryman on many instruments but it lacks the XLR in and other features of the Radial. Because the Countryman is popular, you probably have been to shows where it is used, when you first start using them, it's an "aha" moment.... it just sounds like what a DI'ed bass or DI'ed keys are "supposed" to sound like... at least in my experience.

I use a Behringer Ultra-DI Pro for this. Was never a fan of Behringer, and they can make some questionable quality stuff. That said, I'm really happy with this unit. It's a single space rack unit and solved several problems for me. It can pad 20bd, and has ground lift and phase inversion right on the front panel. I like it because it has 4 XLR outs that are on the front of my rack, so I can plug right into it from the FOH, and I have output meters to see just what I am sending them. Very useful for me because I also have a Voiceworks+ in my rack that also sends line level. So I'm sending 4 line level XLR's to FOH. If their mixer doesn't have a pad function, or they only have 2 line inputs (or need them for keys or other stuff) then this is handy.

It's also inexpensive.No sound quality issues that I can hear, no noise. I have never compared to a higher end unit like a Radial though.

In many cases with good PA setups at clubs, it's not all necessary, but I prefer to have an not need then to need and not have.

I'm asking for suggestions because not every desk I encounter has a pad on it, and not every sound tech is intelligent enough (even after NUMEROUS times telling him I need a pad on the channel because I'm giving him a line level signal) is smart enough to use it even if it does have one. Turning down the output level doesn't always help- had a fest gig, no soundcheck, tech was a moron, had my output down to practically zero and was still distorting. Told him and his dumbass assistant a thousand times to pad the channel, they just didn't get it or care. If I had had a DI with me I'd have been just fine, lesson learned, looking for the best at a decent price.

:)

That's EXACTLY what happened to me two summers ago. For small festivals there is often just no time to even talk to the sound people so now I use an old BSS DI (used to be the standard in the UK) and just plug the mic cable in without saying anything. Do our thing and then stick the mic back up when we finish. No one is the wiser - except they wonder why my guitar sounds better than everybody else's!

That's EXACTLY what happened to me two summers ago. For small festivals there is often just no time to even talk to the sound people so now I use an old BSS DI (used to be the standard in the UK) and just plug the mic cable in without saying anything. Do our thing and then stick the mic back up when we finish. No one is the wiser - except they wonder why my guitar sounds better than everybody else's!

That is a good point.

If it's not a situation where you submit a stage plot / tech rider in advance, these festival shows rarely have a guitar DI ready to go. They assume you will be mic'ing an amp or using a provided backline.

In those cases being able to plug into channels setup for mic level could come in handy.

I almost always just play the backline amp and use a Carl Martin Quattro for my efx in front of the amp... no axe :(

Radial JDI for the win. I carry one in my stage box, which always sits right behind my speakers onstage where it's out of sight but easily accessed. It contains basic tools, extra strings, batteries for wireless units, spare 1/4" and XLR cables, spare IEC power cables, picks, earplugs, and a first aid kit. The whole mess fits in a well-organized 8 gallon "Action Packer" box, which is lightweight and unobtrusive; when we pack up the stage, that box goes into a flight case with other cables and stage gear. It's solely for the band's use onstage. There are other boxes with spare gear elsewhere at the gig (backstage or in the truck), but this little safety net is just so the musicians have access to the most likely-to-be-needed items, and it eliminates a lot of potential worry. We leave the lid on the box, and the rule is "if you open this box leave the lid off". That way when we're packing up, if we see the lid is off the box, it means we need to spend a minute checking the list (taped inside the lid) against the contents, and restock it as necessary.

Hi !

I would recommend the Avalon U5 !
A bit pricey but top-notch DI for both guitars and bass.
It simply does wonder on bass thanks to the EQ and boost.

Back
Top Bottom