Dimension Type & Mode Unclarity

Slammin Mofo

Inspired
If I read 12.03beta2 the release notes correctly, the 4 modes of the original Dimension D unit can be otained by using the Dimension type as follows:

1 -> Dimension Mode = Medium, Rate = 0.25 Hz, Depth 1 ~ 15%-20%?
2 -> Dimension Mode = Medium, Rate = 0.25 Hz, Depth 2 > Depth 1
3 -> Dimension Mode = Medium, Rate = 0.50 Hz, Depth 3 ~ Depth 2
4 -> Dimension Mode = High, Rate = 0.50 Hz, Depth 4 > Depth 3

*The original depth values would be a nice addition to the manual or wiki, but the confirmation of the relations above would certainly be a step in the right direction.

If I choose a Japan CE-2 type in the chorus block and I set the Dimension mode & rate to correspond to the, say, "3" setting on the Dimension D unit, will the chorus block then model the CE-2 with a Dimension D 3 chorus in series? Or is something completely different happening? I'm just asking because the release notes state the following (Maybe I've just interpreted it wrongly, as English isn't my native tongue, so please excuse this question if that is indeed the case):

Added “Dimension” parameter to Chorus block. This engages a processing algorithm that simulates the Roland SDD-320 Dimension D chorus unit.

Added “Dimension” type to Chorus block based on a Roland Dimension D. This type utilizes the “Dimension Mode” parameter described above.

Isn't the "algorithm that simulates the SDD-320" already simulating the entire real-life counterpart, thus rendering the Dimension type useless?

i think you need to select the dimension type for the dimension parameter to appear?

i haven't loaded the beta yet but thats my guess from the release notes.

Oh cool. I haven't been able to touch my axe for weeks now! :(

I feel for you, man! Seeing the new beta firmware stuff without having a chance to audition it must be driving you crazy, it sure would drive me crazy :D I've waited for this Dimension D model for a long time now and I almost gave up on it, so I'm extra excited this time around. Once Cliff adds the Dyno-My-Piano Tri-Chorus, I'll be even more excited :D It feels great being a FAS customer!!

The Dimension Mode parameter turns on "Dimension Processing". This can be turned on in any type. However I highly recommend using the Dimension Type as it sets the correct base algorithm, LFO type, delay time, phase, etc., etc. as well as turning on the Dimension Processing.

The Dimension D is really just a typical chorus. At the output, however, some special processing occurs that gives that unique sound. Turning Dimension Mode to one of the three settings engages the various aspects of that processing.

Back
Top Bottom