DimeBag Darrell Cowboys From Hell Tone?

neale dunham

Experienced
Anyone managed to get anything like his sound from The Cowboys From Hell album out of the Axe fx 3?

I know he used to use Randall Amps and I think it is the RG100 used on this album.

I don't think there is anything solid-state based, aside from the Roland Jc100 (which I don't quite think would cut it) in the Axe fx 3, unless I'm mistaken. So, I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas as to what I could maybe use as a suitable starting point to try and nail his sound of this period?

I found the Diezel is a decent starting point. You can always tone match after that (lot of points you can do that using the intro of the song).
I'd use the first guitar break after the intro....perfect.

Are you running the Axe to FRFR/Studio Monitors or Matrix/Cab setup? I have a decent one I dialed in to use with my Adams/CLR, but I'm sure it would sound drastically different with a power amp/cab setup.

You're welcome. I've been working on this tone for almost a year now. This is actually vulgar but it works an all pantera and damageplan quite well

Attachments

• Dimebag 2020.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 237
  • VDOP L.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 197
  • VDOP R.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
You're welcome. I've been working on this tone for almost a year now. This is actually vulgar but it works an all pantera and damageplan quite well

I just sold a C200 last week that I was trying to copy in the AX3. I got decently close without tone matching but after finding your preset a little bit ago I gave up trying to match it as yours just blows it away!

Nice one, thanks for sharing
Some adaptations, maybe :
- turned up the smoothing in cabs at around 5-5.5, otherwise it sounded too phasy for me
- Maybe try to set Amp's power type to DC, preamp Sag off and Supply sag to 0.01 as Randalls are transistors ? I liked the sound better with these settings
- Also turned down the 63Hz EQ in amp's output EQ as i have a subwoofer and the original preset really made too much infra-bass for me ;)
- Turned CF Compression up to 64% in order to get a more direct sound
  • Turned XFormer Low freq up to 64 Hz for less boomy sound
  • Cab resonance to 200%

Tell me if you like these settings ;)

Nice one, thanks for sharing
Some adaptations, maybe :
  • turned up the smoothing in cabs at around 5-5.5, otherwise it sounded too phasy for me
  • Maybe try to set Amp's power type to DC, preamp Sag off and Supply sag to 0.01 as Randalls are transistors ? I liked the sound better with these settings
  • Also turned down the 63Hz EQ in amp's output EQ as i have a subwoofer and the original preset really made too much infra-bass for me ;)
  • Turned CF Compression up to 64% in order to get a more direct sound
  • Turned XFormer Low freq up to 64 Hz for less boomy sound
  • Cab resonance to 200%

Tell me if you like these settings ;)

Not bad at all! Thanks for the help. Several settings I've never touched before.

Thanks!

For everyone who wants to cop the sound with cloning it, you can get there with this.

1. Dry high gain distortion (OP uses FAS6160)
2. Bass cut, mid boost before the amp
3. Expansion & Filter with bass cut after

With a Bill Lawrence pickup you'd be 80% there with just that. But really thinkful for both learning about fractool and also putting the Peavey model into rotation, wasn't really a fan otherwise of the Peavey model.

Thanks again to OP and trix for really upping my Fractal game. Thing is still delivering all these years later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom