DimeBag Darrell Cowboys From Hell Tone?

Just remember Darrell used a Furman PQ3 to get his tone while running it through the Randall head
I never owned a RG80 or 100 but I owned the Dean Dime amp which I believe was meant to be a least sort of a RG100 copy. Never really liked it unfortunately. I very recently owned the Century 200 II which was amazing sounding. Direct I'd say it sounded like the first Skid Row album. Bright, razor sharp yet aggressive like a chainsaw, and pinch harmonics were effortless. I never played it was a PQ3/4 and 6 band EQ so I can't say how much post EQ it would need to really get the Dime sounds.
It was a beautiful sounding amp and I would have loved to keep it, but I bought it solely to flip. I tried to build an amp block in the AX3 to copy the C200 but couldn't get anywhere near close enough for my liking (although a Silver Jubilee probably got closest), and I specifically did not want to tone match. @trixdropd 's Dime patch more than covered my Randall/Dime itch.

I have a preset I'd be willing to share, but I am using the real Flanger/Doubler in the loop and am not exactly sure how to copy that sound in the AxeFx.

Before I got the Flanger Doubler I was experimenting with the Keeley 30ms pedal and that sounded pretty cool and seemed to give a similar sound. But I found this from the Universal Audio tips & tricks page for the Flanger Doubler plugin & an old MXR ad that gives some specs on the delay times. From the pics I've seen Dime ran the "Mix" level around 9 -10 o'clock, and and "Regen" around the same. So it is a pretty short delay with a little bit of a chorus type sound to it.
Flanger Doubler.PNGFlanger Doubler 2.PNG

Last edited:
I was trying to work on this preset for a while but haven't really messed with itr for a couple of months until I saw this post. I took some settings from the Dime plugin and different pics I've seen and tried to get something in the ballpark. I just added the delay block to try and simulate the Flanger Doubler but it's probably not that accurate. He used it to fatten up his tone and I remember reading about George Lynch doing something similar setting a 28ms delay in front of the amp to fatten up his rhythms.

Anyway I figured I would share the preset and cabs if anyone wants to try it. I took someone's existing cab and added one that I had.

Attachments

• Pantera FD 2.0.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 46
  • U1.0008_Pantera.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 40
  • U1.0009_Dimebag left cab.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom