Dilemma: should I return my AFXIIXL?

So I have got the POD HD500x and used it in the studio. Definitely not as good sounding and as good dynamics as the AFX. I had the master volume completely cranked (max) and it still wasn't very loud into the Rivera. I used the same setup (into efx return of rivera) and it was very loud on most presets with AFX on 2/10.

So I still enjoy playing with the HD500x at home with garageband for practicing/recording but it's not as pro a unit as the AFXII obviously unless I'm doing something wrong which I doubt.

I do like the fact that it has a CD/MP3 in jack but it doesn't even have a power on/off switch! wow. Reverse scenario for the AFXII.

The editing software for Mac is hard to read and I couldn't make it larger on the screen. Also, the LCD screen is hard to read as well. However, I liked the fact that the drive/treble/bass/mids knobs were real knobs, not virtual, makes it easier to adjust.

I still think that the HD500x is a good value for the money but I'd be surprised to see any pros using it. I only found a couple of dirty presets I liked but more cleans and effected that I liked. It's convenient that it comes with the floorboard/footswitches. Will AFXIII come with floorboard and MIC? thx.

It's not for everyone.

Initial problems are a rash on the board here...most finally figure out how to get their sound out of the unit. But there are those that do not (and/or do not care to spend the time to get there.)

IMO, if you only need one sound slightly varied, then this is WAY overkill.

And presets are not designed to be perfectly balanced; they're designed to demonstrate capability...it's up to you to either use them or not. FWIW, the majority of them are extremely useful with minor tweaking.

In the end, only you can decide whether this tool will work for you.

I think you pretty much nailed it here.
Over and over I've read the "not for everyone" line, but I think it really comes down to putting time into it.
As a new user, I thought at first that I had made a huge mistake going with the AxeFx. Now I could never look back.
I don't need a ton of versatility. I still think it's the perfect unit for me. I must have sold off a couple thousand dollars in pedals, not to mention over half a dozen boutique amps, to go all in with the Axe, and at this point I never even think about them anymore, no G.A.S. to speak of except FW updates.
Not a fan boi, not saying it's perfect for everyone like others (including Cliff) have pointed out, but you'll get out of it what you put into it, guaranteed.

So I have got the POD HD500x and used it in the studio. Definitely not as good sounding and as good dynamics as the AFX. I had the master volume completely cranked (max) and it still wasn't very loud into the Rivera. I used the same setup (into efx return of rivera) and it was very loud on most presets with AFX on 2/10.

So I still enjoy playing with the HD500x at home with garageband for practicing/recording but it's not as pro a unit as the AFXII obviously unless I'm doing something wrong which I doubt.

I do like the fact that it has a CD/MP3 in jack but it doesn't even have a power on/off switch! wow. Reverse scenario for the AFXII.

The editing software for Mac is hard to read and I couldn't make it larger on the screen. Also, the LCD screen is hard to read as well. However, I liked the fact that the drive/treble/bass/mids knobs were real knobs, not virtual, makes it easier to adjust.

I still think that the HD500x is a good value for the money but I'd be surprised to see any pros using it. I only found a couple of dirty presets I liked but more cleans and effected that I liked. It's convenient that it comes with the floorboard/footswitches. Will AFXIII come with floorboard and MIC? thx.

I use the HD500 as a cheap backup/business travel rig and, mainly, as a MIDI controller with a built in expression for the AFX. Great value for these purposes IMO. Tone quality? Not so much, but the fx aren't bad.

Back
Top Bottom