Dilemma regarding firmware update

Adinfinitum

Experienced
I've owned an Axe for almost 4 years. I've methodically updated firmware and replaced banks and presets. With firmware 3.04, I can honestly say that the unit became everything it was promised to be those many years ago. Hype became fact. Patches and presets that didn't sound good, now sound great, real, alive, vibrant - better than the real amp it was emulating. I was actually quite surprised at how good it sounded.

I always roll my eyes when certain forum items trumpet the new firmware as the be all and end all, when a month early, they said the same thing about the last firmware.

I downloaded 4.01 and of course, It radically changed the sound of most of my revised personal and third party presets. The patches have less gain, volume and sparkle. I went back to 304 and the magic was still there. To upgrade, I now have to update each patchesamp sefaults, then reload certain factory presets and then add My usual XY mods to each patch - a 5 hour process.

I really want to know how to revise my patches to compensate for the changes made to the new firmware. Is it just a matter of raising gain and MV or is there something more? What specifically changed??

I've asked in the past that any change to the basic sound structure should be user configurable. For example, if the power amp sim changed, could you just add a switch to change it to the new algorithm instead of wholesale changes. It's really hard to compare old to new when you have to reload old firmware. For example, in the past, cliff would replace a model with another model - those who liked the old model would complain. Now, when Cliff was tweaking the Peavey 6160, he added FAS6160 instead of removing the old one, he added the grid parameter which users can choose to turn on and off. I wish the same would go to the underlying changes as well. It took Cliff one whole day to revise his patches, but he invented this box and knows exactly what changed and how to tweak those changes. For me, such process is a week long ordeal without the ability to have two AxeFX units to compare patches.

And yes, I could stay at firmware 3.04, but then i would lose out on new features, amps and fx and bug fixes, so that option is a no go. Any suggestions?

i think the biggest change was the master volume. try turning them all up for starters.

I hear your pain man. I'm glad I haven't created many presets to rework. I imagine it would take a LOT of work and CPU for Cliff to have 'firmware switch' parameter. It would be cool though. Maybe it IS possible.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Every significant firware update will present a new set of tweaks to be made. In the case of 4.0, my high gain patches simply improved without any tweaks at all. It was the patches with higher master volume that required some adjusting. In the end, all the patches are better for the new firmware, as is usually the case.

And yes, I could stay at firmware 3.04, but then i would lose out on new features, amps and fx and bug fixes, so that option is a no go. Any suggestions?
Don't take every update, just the ones with compelling new features. If an update's new features aren't worth the potential time investment in re-tweaking, don't bother with it. If you think they are worth it, back up all your patches and make sure you have a copy of of your current firmware. That way, if you decide it's not worth the trouble, you just roll back to the pre-update state.

Don't take every update, just the ones with compelling new features. If an update's new features aren't worth the potential time investment in re-tweaking, don't bother with it. If you think they are worth it, back up all your patches and make sure you have a copy of of your current firmware. That way, if you decide it's not worth the trouble, you just roll back to the pre-update state.

Alec is wise.

Patches back-up every time I make any significant changes or replace factory presets with third party presets. I have my current set-up backed up and will re-install 4.01 and Cliff's factory set, then set up all the XY (boost and bright switches on). Not looking forward to it.

We are the leading edge of this type of software. Reworking presets sucks, I have over 50 of my own. Sometimes I hear no improvement and wonder why I bothered and other times the result is fantastic. Have not loaded 4.01 yet so cannot comment on it's worth to me yet.

As for the issue the OP requested I asked the same years ago on the Ultra. Basically are you willing to waste the resources to back track to have the feature? Most say no.

Do it! This version is worth the effort, IMO.

Yes, I fully agree...all the firmware updates for the II have brought significant improvements but 4.01 is my favorite update. In particular I like how the feel and adjustment taper/range of the Drive and Master interact, and there is something about the overall high end/Treble/Presence that I'm liking a lot...all I know is that I can use even fewer, and more minimal, adjustments overall and the 'feel' of dialing in an amp has hit a sweet spot for me...I can dial in more Treble and Presence than before and the high end is that much more 'refined'...

Last edited:
I have to say go for it as well. I just played for two hrs on one patch in which all I adjusted after the update was MV and level. 3.04 and 4.01 were very big for me ... I think 4 pushed the axe II into sonic overdrive. I kept getting stuck on single notes, letting them ring out while marvelling at the harmonics and sustain. THIS is the singing lead tone I've been searching for. I'm elated.

Loving the new amp models as well esp the JVM. And the new tape delay ... woah, forget about it!

Is everyone finding the LEVEL is too high on most 3.04 patches after updating to 4.01 (not talking Cliff's revised presets). I seem to be either overdriving the Axe (my input trim is pretty low to begin with) or my Atomic.

I think 4 pushed the axe II into sonic overdrive. I kept getting stuck on single notes, letting them ring out while marvelling at the harmonics and sustain.

Yeah, I'm finding the same thing. 4.01 took the speed out of my playing. Now it takes forever to get done practicing. :D

Back
Top Bottom