Digitech Whammy IV midi question

JamCam

I'm not an AxeFX user yet (though I've played through one long enough to know I want one); I'm just waiting for the Fractal midi board to release. Anywho...

When I get my Axe, I'm going to keep my Digitech Whammy IV since I wasn't gaga over the Axe's whammy sounds. Though the Whammy IV has a 1/4" in and out, there's also a midi port on the side as well. Is that of any use if I'm planning on using it with the axe or its midi controller? How would it hook up?

JamCam said:
I'm not an AxeFX user yet (though I've played through one long enough to know I want one); I'm just waiting for the Fractal midi board to release. Anywho...

When I get my Axe, I'm going to keep my Digitech Whammy IV since I wasn't gaga over the Axe's whammy sounds. Though the Whammy IV has a 1/4" in and out, there's also a midi port on the side as well. Is that of any use if I'm planning on using it with the axe or its midi controller? How would it hook up?
For "one offs" like the whammy, most people just put them right "in front" of the Axe-fx... just like you would in a real amp... I'm not sure how great the pass-through signal is with the Whammy IV so if it's not to your liking you could always pop it in the FX Loop and place it as one of your first blocks... preferably before everything... as a midi controller, all you have to do is hook up the midi in and then go to the I/O midi section and have the Axe-fx "learn" what CC it's sending...

As you may know, that's a MIDI in port on the Whammy IV. You could connect the Axe-FX MIDI thru to it and control pedal position, bypass and/or whammy mode remotely with a capable enough footcontroller. I'm sure the Fractal plus an expression pedal qualifies, as something simpler like the Midimate would also work.

How much time did you spend with the Axe whammy? Just wondering if you placed it before the amp block and adjusted high cut, track type & tracking value. I forgot about the Whammy IV once realizing the Axe was more than fine to me and (unlike the Whammy IV) didn't add noticeable latency if tracking was set low enough.

Bakerman said:
As you may know, that's a MIDI in port on the Whammy IV. You could connect the Axe-FX MIDI thru to it and control pedal position, bypass and/or whammy mode remotely with a capable enough footcontroller. I'm sure the Fractal plus an expression pedal qualifies, as something simpler like the Midimate would also work.

How much time did you spend with the Axe whammy? Just wondering if you placed it before the amp block and adjusted high cut, track type & tracking value. I forgot about the Whammy IV once realizing the Axe was more than fine to me and (unlike the Whammy IV) didn't add noticeable latency if tracking was set low enough.

Plus the pitch block has been redone and it sounds fantastic. The Axe-fx also has quite a bit better trafficking than the whammy IV. I have a whammy IV and really would not even consider using it through the axe-fx.

mortega76 said:
JamCam said:

For "one offs" like the whammy, most people just put them right "in front" of the Axe-fx... just like you would in a real amp... I'm not sure how great the pass-through signal is with the Whammy IV so if it's not to your liking you could always pop it in the FX Loop and place it as one of your first blocks... preferably before everything... as a midi controller, all you have to do is hook up the midi in and then go to the I/O midi section and have the Axe-fx "learn" what CC it's sending...

The whammy IV is not true bypass and is known for being a tone sucker.

javajunkie said:
The whammy IV is not true bypass and is known for being a tone sucker.

+1

I've owned versions I,II, and IV and all of them significantly thinned out my guitar to where I couldn't leave them in front of the amp live. Once you've dialed in the Axe version, you'll never look back. What about the Axe's Whammy isn't working for you?

I have the Boss Fv-500L that I use as my expression pedal, I want to control my DG5 with it for pitch shifting. The Boss pedal is hooked up to axe fx pedal 1 jack, and the DG5 is hooked up to MIDI thru. From here, how exactly do I program the Boss pedal to control the DG5?

I have the Boss Fv-500L that I use as my expression pedal, I want to control my DG5 with it for pitch shifting. The Boss pedal is hooked up to axe fx pedal 1 jack, and the DG5 is hooked up to MIDI thru. From here, how exactly do I program the Boss pedal to control the DG5?
See my comment to your post on the other thread.

+1

I've owned versions I,II, and IV and all of them significantly thinned out my guitar to where I couldn't leave them in front of the amp live. Once you've dialed in the Axe version, you'll never look back. What about the Axe's Whammy isn't working for you?

The Whammy IV can be modded for true bypass though, I've performed the mod twice myself.

Personally I've found the Axe Whammy to become quite thin, like it loses volume when you set it to a classic 1 or 2 octaves up setting. The Digitech by comparison continues to sound nicely full. I can use it if need be, because using an additional pedal adds unwanted tapdancing to my live playing. But if you or anyone else knows how to fix it a solution would be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom