Digitech Whammy 5 in FX loop

Megahertzz

Inspired
I'm planning on using a Digitech Whammy in the FX loop of the FM3, and initial tests show that both CPU usage and sound quality improves significantly compared to using the internal pitch block.
I could however use some help with the settings for I/O #2. What values do I use for input level, pad etc? Hoping to hear from those who have implemented the WH-5 in the same fashion.

Also, can you send PC and CC commands to the WH-5 from the MIDI block? Is it as easy as connecting a midi cable from midi out on the FM3 to midi in on the WH-5?

I use my Digitech Whammy DT right in front of the FM3 input (I set it to true bypass), because tracking a pitch pedal always works best with the direct guitar signal and you save In2 / Out2 for other things.
I also switch it with an FM3 MIDI block in the preset, that works very well.

I use my Digitech Whammy DT right in front of the FM3 input (I set it to true bypass), because tracking a pitch pedal always works best with the direct guitar signal and you save In2 / Out2 for other things.
I also switch it with an FM3 MIDI block in the preset, that works very well.
I use the harmony modes on a few songs which works best after the amp block, so I want the opportunity to put the Whammy different places in the grid depending which mode I use on the different presets.

So, I have my WH-5 in the loop, and I can move it anywhere in the block chain depending on how I'm using it (whammy, harmony, octave etc.), but I'm noticing there's a lot more noise coming from it compared to connecting it directly to the input. If there are other users with the WH-5 in the loop, I would like to hear how your input and output setting are configured. I've tried experimenting a little with pad and gain setting, but nothing that results in a notable improvement.

IMG_20210527_202446.jpg

Bump. I've had to move my Whammy to a loop as well and noticed a similar signal loss and corresponding surge in the noise floor. Using I/O 4 with an 18 dB pad.

Bummer that I can't get this working. I only have a compressor in front of the effects loop before it heads off to the Whammy.

Well, this morning after re-booting both units, it sounds perfect now. Very quiet and tracking perfectly. Wish I could say I did something to fix it.

For others that may come along: My Fx loop comes right after Input 1 and a compressor block. I use Out 4 (left only), head over to the Whammy DT, and come back to In 4 (left only again). Out and back is handled over a single TRS cable with a splitter at each end. I keep all levels at 0 dB.

The pad is still set at 18 dB on Out 4 in the setup page.

I'm not noticing any difference in tracking between using the DT in front of the unit, or in the loop.

The loop will definitely make life easier now to use a wireless unit and/or to run other outboard pedals.

I've never used my Whammy with the FM3, but when I used it in a traditional rig in the past I had issues if it wasn't the very first thing in the chain. It would make a huge popping sound when I would turn it on after it was bypassed for a while. I assumed it was something with the signal impedance from the pedal in front of it, but am not sure. After goofing with a few things, I finally decided it was easiest for me to just have it in front of everything. Never had a problem this way.

Back
Top Bottom