Digitech Vocalist Live Pro - anyone used this?

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
I'm using my Axe FX as a vocal processor currently, with TC Helicon Mic Mechanic as a preamp in my pedalboard and a Palmer pro DI box between Output 2 of AFX and FOH.

This sort of works, but is kind of clumsy, and I really want to remove as much as possible from my pedalboard and move things to the rack. It also makes my presets complicated in terms of routing, and causes too much CPU usage sometimes. So I'm thinking about a dedicated vocal processor.

Since size matters, I'm reluctant to buy the TC Helicon VoiceLive Rack unit and instead thought to get this Digitech thing. However, it seems like a fairly old device, and for whatever reason I don't really trust Digitech too much (no particular reasons, just some weird prejudice).

I don't need anything too fancy, just some EQ, compression, doubler, harmony. Reverb quality isn't too important as this will be mostly used in live gigs.

For the most part I do backing vocal parts with occasional lead, so I need presets and MIDI.

Has anyone have any experience with the unit? Or maybe other units that I should look at?

Thanks!

I have one. It tracks very well. It is particularly good when only using one harmony voice. The more voices you stack, the less convincing the simulation. The effects are very decent.

I have been using the Digitech live and just replaced it with the TC voicelive rack, the voices are about the same but the fx in the TC are a bit better and it has a greater level of editing.
I use an MFC-101 pedal and have a couple of latch pedals connected to the MFC to switch the voice rack harmony on/off and the other to switch the fx on/off it works really well and no extra cables.
The Digitech is good and worked very cell, I find the TC a little easier to use particularly live as it's much quicker to edit if needed.

Cab you give an example of the difference in ease of edit?

Also, which effects are better in the TC unit?

Thanks for your replies!

I use the TC Voice Live 3 floor unit.

I have the TC guitar layer programed to control the Fractal. So I use the TC for my foot controller instead of the MFC-101 (had one and sold it). I had the MFC and the TC both. But reduced my stage footprint by setting the TC to control the AxeFx.

I have my presets setup for Out 2 R -> TC Voice Live guitar in. That drives the harmony.

I have a GTR Mute on the TC programmed to mute Out 1 L -> FOH and Out 2 L -> monitors but keep Out R -> TC active. This lets me play "silent" chords and sing harmonies with the TC for acapella vocal harmony.

This has been a versatile rig for me. For acoustic gigs, I run Fishman Aura -> TC guitar in and use the TC efx. So I don't need to bring my Fractal at all.

Overall I think the TC mic pre, the TC auto comp and EQ and the TC harmonies are really the best for this kind of pedal. The guitar layer and guitar efx don't hold up to the Fractal though. I experimented with using the TC guitar layer into the Fractal with just a Cab block. Just to see if an IR box, like the EPSI and the TC would be enough for me. The TC guitar amp models just don't even come close to the Fractal though. The efx are really not as good as compared to the Fractal either.

But for acoustic guitar, I use delay comp and little reverb, the TC is great.

Cab you give an example of the difference in ease of edit?

Also, which effects are better in the TC unit?

Thanks for your replies!

A lot more control over the effects on the TC, more editing possibilities such as eq on reverb as well as time, delay etc...
More choises etc.. Same goes for the harmonies. Don't get me wrong the Digitech is vert good, but I like more user control of the TC.
Not that much difference in sound, but I think the TC has the edge.

I have the Voicelive Rack and the Voicelive 3 pedal.

I love them both!

I use the Voicelive 3 pedal more for acoustic shows - I run my Taylor Acoustic to a splitter box, one signal to the board, the other to the VL3. I then take a processed stereo 1/4" guitar signal with some compression and delay to the board so I have 2 channels for the acoustic, one dry, one stereo, and it sounds great. I use an expression pedal to swell in the harmonies and doubling as I think it sounds more natural. I keep thinking it would be a good backup to my AxeFX for electric shows as well as it does have electric effects, but from what I've heard, they aren't that great, but it could save a show......

The Voicelive Rack - I have it in a vocal rack with my Wireless Mic (Shure UL4DX) and my IEM (Shure PSM300). I run a line from my line 6 wireless guitar receiver (there's 2 outputs - one goes to the AxeFX, one to VLrack) into the Voicelive rack. I control it with a 7 pin midi/powered cable to a Rocktron midi mate which has an expression pedal to swell in the harmonies and doubling as I think it sounds more natural.

The Voicelive rack and Voicelive 3 both work and sound great - I Only notice a small improvement (really, very small) in the harmonies from the new VL3 to the Older VLrack.

So, i'm trying to decide on if I should put the VL3 on a rackshelf, and sell the VL rack, and run it with either a smaller midi pedal (which one? or use the MFC101 to control it?) or keep them both for easy use. I"m also wondering about putting the Voicelive rack (or VL3) into the same rack as the AxeFX as I use them both all the time...

Kinda went off topic a little but They're great units.....

I use the

It's not really off topic as far as I'm concerned - I'm actually exploring options, and Vocalist I'd one if them, it's just that there's so little information available about it that I have to ask opinions on various forums - TC stuff is much more widespread and easy to try out and there are numerous reviews and demos available.

The problem is that I really want to minimize weight, complexity and size of my rig. As a matter of fact, my primary option is to get a half rack channel strip and keep using my Axe for harmonies and some other effects.

So I certainly welcome any ideas and suggestions here. Thank you all for your input!

All the above units are quite good.
Top to bottom, the TC line just rocks. For ease of use, quality, AND portability, TC Harmony G-XT pedal, for 1/6 the price of the others, was for me. > $119 here >>>. TC Helicon VoiceTone Harmony G-XT
With 10 presets and user interface, and all the features you described. Small, cheap, sounds good, and easy to program on the fly. Just sayin.
To trigger the TC to sync the guitar with the harmonies, I use the aux out G-50 wireless. Like this: G-50 aux out > TC G-XT pedal > X-18 air > Atomic CLR's. . Triggers predictably well (assuming you can sing at a consistent level)

I actually used it for a live scratch backing vocal on a track I did with Ace Frehely, that made it to the final mix!! "Rise Up Back From The Grave" on Itunes.
Listen to the low "hey you's" on the hook and the high harmonies. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/rise-up-back-from-grave-single/id929614219:encouragement:

Last edited:
Current TC pedals don't have midi, unfortunately, and using guitar input for harmonies doesn't always work. It's somewhat problematic to switch those presets without midi if the pedal is placed in a rack.

The voicelive Rack though 2 unit high is lighter in weight than the 1 unit Yamaha.
The TC also feels like it will last longer - I'm glad I changed from Yamaha to TC

Back
Top Bottom