Digitech Trio + Axe FX?

Womac911

Inspired
I've got a Trio on loan for a day or two from a local store. Hoping to get it working in conjunction with AxeII.
I've tried setting the Axe up like you would do for a 2-guitar setup, but that doesn't seem to be working. Or I'm missing something... if I get an audio signal from the Trio input to the Axe, I get no guitar audio...

Anyone done this? What am I missing?

Last edited:
The Trio works fine for me as follows:

Guitar into Trio. Amp out to Axe-FX. Mixer out to mixer.

That way the backing track gets its own channel. You really don't want to hear bass and drums through the guitar's signal chain.

You could also do something with the FX loop, but it'd take more work.

The Trio works fine for me as follows:

Guitar into Trio. Amp out to Axe-FX. Mixer out to mixer.

That way the backing track gets its own channel. You really don't want to hear bass and drums through the guitar's signal chain.

You could also do something with the FX loop, but it'd take more work.

I agree there. They only way I had it working, it wasn't going through any sort of signal chain at all... no amp. Alas, no guitar signal...

You have a second output named Mixer, you go from there to another input of a mixer or amp, the Mixer output of the Trio will only carry bass-drums sound. Guitar output from the regular output of the Trio.

I also have a Trio Plus (not the regular trio, this one has an effects loop and looper built in) and for the life of me cannot get it to function properly with the Axe Ultra. I assume it's my noobness with the Axe, but I haven't seen anyone else using the two together successfully either. Anyone have a clue?

I didn't care for the guitar sounds built in so I patched my Trio+ like this:

Trio Mixer Out -> Mixer
Trio Amp Out -> Dummy plug. This will remove guitar from the Mixer Out

Guitar -> Fractal In
Fractal Out 1, 1/4" -> Trio guitar in.
Fractal Out 1 XLR -> Mixer

This way the mixer gets the bass and drums from the Trio and guitar from the Fractal. The guitar in of the Trio is just for learn mode and setting the chord progressions. I don't actually monitor the guitar out of the Trio.

Why don't you do guitar-> axe fx-> trio -> pa/mixer? That's how it's meant to work isn't it?

I've tried that. Where it's getting hung up is the Trios fx send and return (this allows you to use the trio looper to create a loop with one sound, then change the sound and play/dub over it with the new sound). I can get everything to work with headphones but not my axe and mixer pa. With the headphones I go guitar > ABY, one aby out goes to AXE in, the other trio guitar in. The fx send and return from trio is hooked up to axe fx send return in back. This allows proper layering of sounds in the headphones, but gives a feedback loop of distortion when going thru amp and pa. If I remove the aby from the equation, I get no sound.

I hope this is making sense. If not I can try to do up a diagram, though I'm horrible at that stuff.

Thanks for the help!

I didn't care for the guitar sounds built in so I patched my Trio+ like this:

Trio Mixer Out -> Mixer
Trio Amp Out -> Dummy plug. This will remove guitar from the Mixer Out

Guitar -> Fractal In
Fractal Out 1, 1/4" -> Trio guitar in.
Fractal Out 1 XLR -> Mixer

This way the mixer gets the bass and drums from the Trio and guitar from the Fractal. The guitar in of the Trio is just for learn mode and setting the chord progressions. I don't actually monitor the guitar out of the Trio.

So you aren't feeding the Trio a "clean" signal? Has that been problematic if you try to teach it a part when you have distortion or effects applied?
Both these pieces are new to me ( the trio and the axe) so I'm a little behind the curve on both.

So you aren't feeding the Trio a "clean" signal? Has that been problematic if you try to teach it a part when you have distortion or effects applied?
Both these pieces are new to me ( the trio and the axe) so I'm a little behind the curve on both.

If the Fractal preset is not clean I roll back the gtr volume. Has worked fine so far.

I got the Trio+ in December. So far it's working like I want it to.

I use mostly the R&B and Latin styles for practicing. I find those grooves sound the most life like to me.

I'm using Trio+ with my XL+ and it's working fine. Just put the AxeFx in the Trio's fx send loop and you can record loops with the AxeFx tones. Just use a clean tone to train the band.

Ok guys thanks for all the ideas.

I have it working the way I want (mostly) with the incorporation of a mixer. That way I can tap between the Axe out and the powered monitor in and back. I can even get the looped part to play back in dual mono this way, though I get some phase cancellation and actually kinds like it just in one monitor so I'm just running the Trio+ on the left side.

I still think there is a more elegant way (without using the mixer) to get this thing chooching right, but for now I'm gonna roll with this so I can play for a bit instead of fight with hookup problems!

UPDATE

It isn't working. I mean technically it is, but introduces horrible phasing issues. Its effectively doubling the left channel, and even if I mute the original axe channel, it gets worse because then I am just hearing the out of phase time delayed signal.

There has to be a way to get this to work and still retain all the features. I'm no slouch in routing department, but this is ridiculous!

Plug your guitar directly into the Trio+ and put the Axe-Fx in the Trio's FX-loop. Use the Trio Amp out to drive your FRFR and use the Trio Mixer out to drive your other sound system i.e. mixer. If you want you could run the Trio amp out to a separate channel of your mixer rather than an FRFR. This is the approach I use and it works beautifully.

What if you plug in the guitar in the Trio+, use amp output into your Axe-Fx guitar input, connect from the mixer output to the mono input 2 of the Axe. Then go to Axe-edit and and isolate your fx-loop (put it alone with its own line parallel to all effects and amps, cabinets). Going to try it now and i'll let you know.

It seemed to work just fine that way until i changed preset or put on or off effects. The mixer output is great but the looper part changes as soon as you add distortion or whatever effects because i am connected from amp out to the IN of the Axe-Fx which means that everytime i change preset or anything, it changes the output of your first loop. So your overdub and your loop will sound the same.
So if you want a different sound for the overdubbing then you need to add pedals into the fxloop of the Trio+. BTW, the mixer out is a mono output.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom