Digitech "The Drop" pedal vs FM9 VC

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
Here is a comparison of the Digitech Drop pedal and the FM9 virtual capo both set to drop the pitch by 1 semitone. Not the best recording, but should be able to hear just how close the VC is to the Drop pedal.

Very cool. I have never used the VC. After reading some discussions and then hearng this I gave it a go.
Have a feeling I am missi8ng something. what I tried. Old Bob Seger song Sunsp[ot Baby. It's in Key of E. Dropped it a semitone (easier to sing now that I am older) and tried to play it but it was just so "flubby".
Is the trick not to play the E & A strings open? IOW, that was the way I used to play the rhythm to Sunspot baby-
Hope I am not messing up your thread by asking. But your recordings sound, well, spot on......................

Very cool. I have never used the VC. After reading some discussions and then hearng this I gave it a go.

Is the trick not to play the E & A strings open?
This song is open A. Songs in the key of E tend to get a little flubby (with both Drop and VC). This comparison is more to prove that the FM9 can now replace the Drop on your pedal board.

This song is open A. Songs in the key of E tend to get a little flubby (with both Drop and VC). This comparison is more to prove that the FM9 can now replace the Drop on your pedal board.
Thanks for the quick reply. OK, makes sense. Still sounds useful for me. I'll stay away from that. Plenty of other songs that my voice would enefit from 1/2 step or so down. I have a friend that continually tells me just tune your guitars down 1/2 step since I am only in home studio recording. Since I do not need it that much the VC option is better for me.
Thanks

For me isn't the sound, it's the delay/lag time in the sound from fractal products using the Virtual Capo. It isn't all the time, but every so often it is a noticeable hiccup, especially going clean into IEMs.

For me isn't the sound, it's the delay/lag time in the sound from fractal products using the Virtual Capo. It isn't all the time, but every so often it is a noticeable hiccup, especially going clean into IEMs.
Same here…
Once the other bugs are squashed I’m anxious to install the new FW and try just for the VC. The latency was always the deal breaker for me. You could always notice it especially with quick chugs on low notes. I know you can’t totally eliminate it but can’t wait to try…

Cool recording. I'd be interested to hear you try cleaner sounds, or more arpeggiated notes/single notes. I personally don't find the fm3/fm9 virtual capo very good, but for crunchy power chords, the issues get hidden very easily. But for a song like Shutup and Dance, with the vamp part in the first verse, the latency kept throwing me off

Same here…
Once the other bugs are squashed I’m anxious to install the new FW and try just for the VC. The latency was always the deal breaker for me. You could always notice it especially with quick chugs on low notes. I know you can’t totally eliminate it but can’t wait to try…
Has there been an update to the Virtual capo?

Have you read the FW 2.0 Beta thread?
Just did! Sorry havent been as active on the forums or with guitar playing recently. I read all the updates but I didn't see one specific to the virtual capo. Did I just overlook it in the big list from the other thread?

What products are you talking about? I noticed with the fm3 which I haven't used in a long time but not with the III or fm9.

What products are you talking about? I noticed with the fm3 which I haven't used in a long time but not with the III or fm9.
The FM9 is definitely better than the the FM3. But FM9 VC still wasn’t quite ready for prime time IMO. I have high hopes for this release though…

Back
Top Bottom