Digitech Freqout pedal is legit

Actually, I'm glad the mods did their job. Many of us FX8 users would have missed the finer points of this thread. I quit hitting the "Main" forum when I sold my Axe-FX II and went with and amp and FX8. I generally hit the FX8 forums every now and then, and then wander over to the lounge to see if there are any interesting posts that relate to general guitar playing and gear, which this one fits right into. None of the other forums really have much interest for me.

Back on topic, this thing is on my wish list big time. That damn Pete Thorn and his gear demo vids are at fault mostly. This looks like it would be very useful for not only getting feedback at the lower volumes I'm forced to play at, but it seems to have a few other nice effects in it. I'll probably place my order next payday if budget permits.

Actually, I'm glad the mods did their job. Many of us FX8 users would have missed the finer points of this thread. I quit hitting the "Main" forum when I sold my Axe-FX II and went with and amp and FX8. I generally hit the FX8 forums every now and then, and then wander over to the lounge to see if there are any interesting posts that relate to general guitar playing and gear, which this one fits right into. None of the other forums really have much interest for me.

Back on topic, this thing is on my wish list big time. That damn Pete Thorn and his gear demo vids are at fault mostly. This looks like it would be very useful for not only getting feedback at the lower volumes I'm forced to play at, but it seems to have a few other nice effects in it. I'll probably place my order next payday if budget permits.
Agreed on all points. I think this forum is moderated just right...if a little protectively..better that than robot mods that turn every perceived semi bad word or unpure thought into lollipops.......
But thanks to @lqdsnddist and everyone who got me off the Schneid to purchase one of these...arrives tomorrow!

I would have moved this thread to the lounge too, I was actually annoyed that you didn't originally but I digress. Good thread but definitely belongs in the lounge, you could make that argument about any random pedal or looper using it with the axe.

I would have moved this thread to the lounge too, I was actually annoyed that you didn't originally but I digress. Good thread but definitely belongs in the lounge, you could make that argument about any random pedal or looper using it with the axe.

Wow, real actual annoyance because a complete stranger posted a message on a manufacturers web forum that wasn't specific enough for your liking? Don't really even know what to say to that, sorry for ruining your day I guess...?

Guess my intrusion into the main forum takes away from the important stuff like "my axe sounds dull" threads or Andy having yet another issue with live sound lol

I digress as well though....

I would however argue the point that the same thing could be said about any pedal. I don't think a chorus pedal, for example, could be said to provide a unique feature to the Axe that otherwise couldn't be obtained. The Axe can do a pretty darn good chorus.

What the Axe can't do though is generate feedback at low volume levels, when recording, when not using an cab onstage such as the case of IEM users.

The axe nails the tone and feel of a cranked amp flawlessly, but it doesn't feedback. It's the one missing piece I always found I was missing.

By supplementing the Freqout I can now hit a chord and get that get "krrrrrang" crunch that usually is reserved for those than can crank up their amps, and I can also get the feedback, which again is usually reserved for those that can play loud. But, I can get all those things at any volume.

It's really uncanny, and I love my Axe as much today as the day I bought it. I can be playing at a near whisperer at 1am, family sleeping, and have a tone and feel just like when I used to kill my ears with my jcm2204 to get the same tone.

The Axe is just pretty magical for lack of better term, the thr Freqout is icing on an otherwise fantastic cake

Ok everyone needs to chill out. If it's not fractal related, it goes to the lounge. Pretty simple to understand.

Also, it's the 3rd or 4th thread on this pedal already, so yeah the lounge is the right place.

So, my initial impression after playing this a short time at bedroom volumes is, not as simple to tweak as one would hope, can be prone to loud squeals , (I obviously need to spend more time with this), and the one-trick poniness may not appeal to some. Iam guessing this thing works more effectively at volume, so I reserve final judgement , but I don't think it will replace my trusty E-Bow, but when I get to it, the combination of the two might be fun......

Thanks Brad. I have one on order but won't get it til probably the middle of June. Hoping I can make use of it, but they do have a good return policy if it doesn't.

It isn't that simple really. For instance, how would you deal with this post https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/diy-midi-amp-knobs.127530/ Why is that not moved to the lounge too? Midi knobs for the Axe belongs there? It seems fairly subjective about what does and doesn't stay there and what doesn't.

That one should not be in Axe FX discussion actually. There's a section called Other midi controllers. That's where it should be.

The only reason I can think why it wasn't moved is because the discussion is about controlling the amp settings in the axe directly with an external controller. The current thread on the Freqout is about, dare I say, a competitor's (digitech) product, non-related to the axe.

got one installed pre-axefx - will try it in the loop as suggested.

I'd also like to try the Digitech Mosaic for a good 12 string sim.

If you want endless controllable sustain. Then use the Fernandes Sustainer, the Sustainiac or an Ebow.

If you want controllable feedback-like overtones then use the FreqOut.

If you want both - use both.

And of course always use the above with a nice box from Fractal Audio.

I use the Fenandes Sustainer, the FreqOut in front of my Axe Fx II XL. - just perfect.

...today is the day I will attempt the unholy merging of my Freqout and E bow.....I have softened my initial doubt about the Freqout, definitively Not for long sustains, but some very nice overtones can be had, as long you realize the limitations it can be much fun.

I have Sustaniacs in my live guitars. The problem with them is that they KILL your sustain when they are not engaged. The magnetic field they produce is so strong it can hold my metal slide in place.

I just picked one of these up to use with my Ultra. Overall, it does what it's supposed to, and sounds pretty good doing it. But I found that it glitched too much if I used enough gain for it to trigger reliably. You have to be really clean between notes or it doesn't always release and sounds like a warbly pitch shifter. I had to run in momentary mode to keep it under control, which takes too much tap dancing.

So I put it in the Ultra's FX loop set up on a parallel path with the dry signal. I used a gate/expander block in front of the Freqout to help cut off the notes seen by the Freqout while leaving the main signal to the amp unaffected. This lets me run the Freqout at a higher gain and leave it in latched mode. The only drawback is that if you still want the Freqout to completely completely replace the dry signal when it triggers, like it does when it's hooked up in series, this won't work for you. Even in parallel though, when it goes off, the harmonic dominates the sound.

The nice thing is that if I want it back in series, all I have to do is change a couple of shunts in the grid.

Edit: I’ve done some more series vs parallel testing and yes, it does sound better in series, but you have to be willing to do more tap dancing.

Last edited:
I patched it into my Axe II FX loop, and I use an external pedal controller to send a momentary signal to the pedal when I want the effect. This is essentially like using the momentary switch on the pedal itself, but without running the audio cables across the stage.
I'm not seeing an input for external controller on the Freqout. How exactly did you send a momentary signal to the pedal? I'm using a wireless x/y midi pad controller on my guitar and would love to be able to kick in the freqout by just touching it.

Back
Top Bottom