"Digital Whistle"

RockerAlex

Inspired
So, my current band are in the process of picking out a studio to do a short E.P. in and I really want to get the Axe FX II on to the record in some shape or form. I had the sound engineer argue that he prefers "real amps" over any digital modeller (even though he admitted he's never tried an Axe) because of some "digital whistle" around 2-4k ... I personally can't hear a shit worth of difference between the Axe and Tubes any more, sounds like something he read on Gearslutz 10 years ago. Have any of you any idea what he's talking about?

it's your music. if you wanna use the axe on it, use it. he's talking bollocks, anyway. i bet he'll change his tune after 10 minutes listening to it. and even if he doesn't, so what. spend the time you save not having to set up and mic up a real amp doing the "i told you so dance" in the corner of the room.

The "digital whistle" supposedly occurs around 12k. Most people are using a low-pass filter around 7 or 8k anyways though, so even if it does really exist nobody's going to hear it, lol.

I have a friend that bought an Axe a little over a year ago and returned it after playing it for a little while stating that it sounded too digital. When I got mine last month he spend quite a bit of time playing through it wondering why it sounded so good. Not sure what firmware was out when he had his, but Cliff certainly has a way of improving this thing all the time. I say go for it and see if the engineer doesn't change his tune after the first track.

Back
Top Bottom