Digital Noise Problem With Axe FX III

Joker

Inspired
What could be at fault here?

Scenario 1: Axe FX III MK I plugged into power strip & turned off -> Faint digital noise that coincides with mouse movements and CPU/GPU activity, even at reasonable output levels

Scenario 2: Axe FX III MK I plugged into power stirp & turned on -> Almost no digital noise (only slightly perceivable when outputs on the audio interface are cranked)

Scenario 3: Axe FX III MK I is removed from any power source -> Same as scenario 2, almost no digital noise

The noise isn't annoying at normal listening levels, but once I turn up the volume, it becomes a bit too noticeable for my taste.

The Axe FX III is connected to my UA Apollo X8 interface via 2 x 1/4" TS cables and the Apollo is connected via TB 3 to my desktop computer with a glass side panel and high quality components (Seasonic Prime TX-1000 PSU, GA B550 Vision Motherboard). I'm using Neumann monitors and a headphone amp in the Apollo X8 output section. I thought that maybe the noise is due to the EMI emissions that aren't blocked by the glass panel, but if that was the culprit, I would've heard the noise when the Axe FX III was removed entirely from any power source and this wasn't the case.

I tried a different power cable and a different power strip, but this didn't help with the digital noise. All three units - PC, Axe FX III and Apollo - are connected to the same power strip.

Is there anything else that I should try to fix this issue? I could always keep the Axe FX III on or only plug it into the power strip when I need to use it, but both those options are inconvenient in the long run.

Last edited:
What happens if you mute all of the mic pre inputs? I’m just wondering if one or more is the culprit.

From the Apollo manual:
“Mute or lower preamp gain to minimum on all unused preamp channels (mic preamps can emit noise even when nothing is plugged in)”

Best of luck
Lee

What happens when you directly connect your monitors to the axe fx, entirely removing the Apollo from the signal chain ?

First you need to plug your AXE FX into a power filter and no Computer peripheral plug into this strip. and put a USB ground loop on your USB. i used ifi defender. and make sure it use external power supply.

This ↑. You've probably got a ground loop somewhere picking up noise from the PC. Shield that PC window with foil connected to bare metal on the case. It's not doing you any favors. A power conditioner with isolated sockets can help break the loop.

Scenario 1: Axe FX III MK I plugged into power strip & turned off -> Faint digital noise that coincides with mouse movements and CPU/GPU activity, even at reasonable output levels

Scenario 2: Axe FX III MK I plugged into power stirp & turned on -> Almost no digital noise (only slightly perceivable when outputs on the audio interface are cranked)

Scenario 3: Axe FX III MK I is removed from any power source -> Same as scenario 2, almost no digital noise

The noise isn't annoying at normal listening levels, but once I turn up the volume, it becomes a bit too noticeable for my taste.

The Axe FX III is connected to my UA Apollo X8 interface via 2 x 1/4" TS cables and the Apollo is connected via TB 3 to my desktop computer with a glass side panel and high quality components (Seasonic Prime TX-1000 PSU, GA B550 Vision Motherboard). I'm using Neumann monitors and a headphone amp in the Apollo X8 output section. I thought that maybe the noise is due to the EMI emissions that aren't blocked by the glass panel, but if that was the culprit, I would've heard the noise when the Axe FX III was removed entirely from any power source and this wasn't the case.

I tried a different power cable and a different power strip, but this didn't help with the digital noise. All three units - PC, Axe FX III and Apollo - are connected to the same power strip.

Is there anything else that I should try to fix this issue? I could always keep the Axe FX III on or only plug it into the power strip when I need to use it, but both those options are inconvenient in the long run.
noise safari! computer noise is something that has driven me nuts forever. I relay my experiences here not suggesting that I know they are a solution for you... but just things that worked for me.

seasonic - that's a good psu and 1k should be overpowered so... perhaps you did your research. psu was going to be my first suggestion.

I found that I could eliminate a lot of noise from the pc by going in and organizing the wires. I was surprised how much of a dif this makes... but essentially minimizing the length of cable and trying to keep power supply cables separate from hd/graphics/other cable.

many of these steps were followed immediately by opening my daw and just looking at my noise floor. when I'd see a reduction admittedly I would just assume it had something to do with what I just did... so not exactly scientific but close 'nuff for me.

I also have been on a mission to replace all my hard drives with ssd as they not only generate less heat (which in turn requires less cooling which in turn generates less noise), but they don't suffer that annoying line noise chirp. oddly, at one point, I would hear that hd chirp when moving the mouse. If you crank the levels enough there is still some of it there... getting system drive and most of my freq used samples on ssd reduced a lot of that. unfortunately for me I have some 8tb of samples/recorded-audio/pictures/photoshopfiles/cncstuff/etc so... still working on it but changing out the stuff I use for audio for some m.2 and sata ssd made a huge dif.

glass panel... on my latest build I went with the fractal designs define 7 xl case (just a coincidence that fractal ALSO make the best pc cases!! haha, unrelated vendor but they really are nice). I opted for an all metal door as just trying to get better shielding from all the crap that leaks noise in my pc. I never A/B'd my old case with my new... (was also a silent case) but given the changes listed above plus an all metal case... and all noctua fans, most silent pc I've ever owned.

also experimented with the outlets in my office. i can't even explain why... but through trial and error I've found that it is best to keep my guitar/monitors/interface/etc on one set of outlets/noise conditioners... while having my pc/led-monitor/printers on an entirely different set of outlets and a conditioner. One would think both of those outlets going to the sm panel... I haven't confirmed that, but just went with what seemed to work.

hope something there helps you on your own noise safari!!

What happens if you mute all of the mic pre inputs? I’m just wondering if one or more is the culprit.

From the Apollo manual:
“Mute or lower preamp gain to minimum on all unused preamp channels (mic preamps can emit noise even when nothing is plugged in)”

Best of luck
Lee

When I lower the input preamp gain of the X8 to 10dB (minimum value), I can get the noise level back to acceptable levels, but it's still better once the Axe FX III is turned on. Tried to remove the 1/4" output cables from the Axe FX III and this doesn't fix the problem either...

I had this on the Axe-Fx 2. Scrolling a website with the Axe-Fx 2 on would cause a faint buzzing noise to come out. Unplugging the USB solved it if I remember correctly.

Haven't noticed it on my FM3 so far but it's hooked up to a newer computer and through a USB switch/hub.

When I lower the input preamp gain of the X8 to 10dB (minimum value), I can get the noise level back to acceptable levels, but it's still better once the Axe FX III is turned on. Tried to remove the 1/4" output cables from the Axe FX III and this doesn't fix the problem either...
So if I’m understanding, you disconnected the two 1/4” output cables from the back of the AF3. And while the AF3 is turned off, you are still getting the digital noise you described earlier? Did you leave those cables still plugged into the Apollo? If yes to these, I’d say the 1/4” cables are acting like an antenna, and the Mic Pre section of the Apollo is “ENHANCING” the received noise. Maybe try holding both cables (disconnected ends) and twist four or five times, so they wrap around one another. This might be enough to “kill” the noise. If that is successful with the 1/4” cables still disconnected from your AF3, without untwisting the cables, plug the disconnected ends back into your AF3, and see if the noise is still reduced.

Lee

Last edited:

Do you have the Axe FX connected via USB for the editor?

So if I’m understanding, you disconnected the two 1/4” output cables from the back of the AF3. And while the AF3 is turned off, you are still getting the digital noise you described earlier? Did you leave those cables still plugged into the Apollo? If yes to these, I’d say the 1/4” cables are acting like an antenna, and the Mic Pre section of the Apollo is “ENHANCING” the received noise. Maybe try holding both cables (disconnected ends) and twist four or five times, so they wrap around one another. This might be enough to “kill” the noise. If that is successful with the 1/4” cables still disconnected from your AF3, without untwisting the cables, plug the disconnected ends back into your AF3, and see if the noise is still reduced.

Lee

I disconnected the TS cables from the Apollo X8 and this fixed the issue. Damned Boss BIC-5 cables. Bought them new just for this application and they pick up all this sh*% . Time to try different cables I guess. Not ready to buy Mogami or Vovox, but I'll see if I can get my hands on some fairly priced D'addario cables...

Do you have the Axe FX connected via USB for the editor?

Yep, I removed it from the PC and it didn't fix the problem. The USB cable has a ferrite bead, which should clean up USB related EMI for the most part.

I disconnected the TS cables from the Apollo X8 and this fixed the issue. Damned Boss BIC-5 cables. Bought them new just for this application and they pick up all this sh*% . Time to try different cables I guess. Not ready to buy Mogami or Vovox, but I'll see if I can get my hands on some fairly priced D'addario cables...

Yep, I removed it from the PC and it didn't fix the problem. The USB cable has a ferrite bead, which should clean up USB related EMI for the most part.
Glad you got it sorted, but it still kinda sucks. Did you try twisting the cables, to see if that might help? Same concepts as what’s going on inside Cat-5 cables, where each pair is twisted together to help reject outside junk.

Glad you got it sorted, but it still kinda sucks. Did you try twisting the cables, to see if that might help? Same concepts as what’s going on inside Cat-5 cables, where each pair is twisted together to help reject outside junk.

I tried it just now, though the cable ain't that long to begin with (only 1.5 meters), the outcome's the same. I ordered shorter cables from D'Addario now, hope this will fix the issue once and for all.

What this has taught me is that we should never seek fault in quality hardware - like the Axe FX III and the UA Apollo X8 - first. Always better to check the weaker links in the chain first.

Have you tried using XLR instead of TRS?

Have you tried using XLR instead of TRS?
Haven't tried that yet, but I use the XLR inputs on my X8 for real mics already, which forces me to either use SPDIF or 1/4" cables and because I mostly record in 96kHz, I can't use SPDIF.

I have a reasonably big rack full of preamps, interfaces, effects etc. and it always scares me to look back there and experiment with all the various cables and connections. Since I read the thread on EMI and glass panels just last week and knowing that I also have a PC case with a glass panel, I immediately assumed the digital noise I was hearing was EMI related as well. Turns out there are levels to the noise safari. It was the first time I had to do it in the first place, though, so I lucked out all these years with the cables I bought so far, except for the aforementioned Boss cables.

I'm just glad the search is over and I can once again concentrate on tone shaping instead of noise fixing.

Thank you guys for your helpful answers and suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom