bommel

I hope it is okay to share this. I just need some general information of you, how you like modelers in general and IRs and so on. I made this little survey. No strings attached i just need this for my thesis https://forms.gle/GG7op8L38s3EmaZDA ... the results in a few weeks could be interesting for all of us i think
1f642.png

I'm going to try to be helpful; remember that as you read this. If this is truly for academic purposes, you should review your survey with an expert in data science/survey writing. It has some serious flaws. (I used to work in opinion research).

I don't understand the desire for "amp in the room"

No recording sounds like an amp in the room, close micing an amp doesn't sound like anything realistic or practical that can be heard by the ears (without going deaf) but is on every major recording for 40+ years.

The last 3 questions, I really couldn't answer.

I don't understand the desire for "amp in the room"

No recording sounds like an amp in the room, close micing an amp doesn't sound like anything realistic or practical that can be heard by the ears (without going deaf) but is on every major recording for 40+ years.

The last 3 questions, I really couldn't answer.
Have you ever played with a guitar cab in a small club/bar where the PA is only used for voice and everything else is unmic'd and/or goes thru its own amp?
There lies the answer IMHO.

99% of my gigs fall in that scenario, for some time I tried to play thru a couple of atomic CLRs with IRs and, even though they have lots of pros (dispersion pattern, stereo spread, etc..), when listening to the whole band sound, I always had the sensation of listening to a live bassist and drummer playing along with a recorded guitar track, my tone felt totally disconnected from those other live instruments.
FRFR and IRs don't "shake the room" like a good ol' cab does IME.

Now I play thru a 2x12 but I also send a cab-sim signal to the atomic CLRs (used as a PA for voice and guitar) for a bit of stereo spread. Best of both worlds and I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: yek
Done. I quit using guitar amps back in the late 90's so I don't even remember what "amp in the room" sounds like anymore.

Be aware of the impacts of bias in your responses. This forum is not an ideal baseplate as it is, to an extent, subject to significant corporate/organisational bias.

Back
Top Bottom