Digital In Issue with the Axe-Fx III? (preset included)

I was able to successfully reproduce Cliff's test ..so other than that the fact remains that the AES/SPDIF signal from AXII is dual mono rather than stereo, not
ideal but certainly workaroundable, I guess my test preset is borked , the real answer ,for now, is to stick to analog connections if you want to bring a stereo signal from another Axe into the III.
Can't reproduce this. Working correctly here. I hooked an Axe-Fx II into a III via SPDIF. On the II I made a routing containing just a Filter block. On the III I made a routing that routes Input 1 to Output 1. On the II I then adjusted the Balance of the Filter block and, as anticipated, the balance out of the III varied accordingly.

Is there a solution for this meanwhile?

Been trying to create a setup for reamping two gtr DI tracks at the same time via the AES input and output.
(Would save half of the time when reamping and also would be great to hear the rythms already doubled while dialing in a tone)

Currently just one DI track gets through, since input 1 only is mono capable and you can not choose a stereo input to be fed by aes...

the "right" or second channel of AES does not register on the input1 meter. I will show up on the grid view and will hit your blocks. I learned this from connecting the Shure Axient AES out to Input 1 (AES). Only one channel (the left) will meter.

the "right" or second channel of AES does not register on the input1 meter. I will show up on the grid view and will hit your blocks. I learned this from connecting the Shure Axient AES out to Input 1 (AES). Only one channel (the left) will meter.

I've noticed the same bug. I've got a stereo setup through my Antelope Audio Zen Tour. I'd like to feed the stereo signal to the Axe FX 3 via SPDF, to avoid needless DAC and ADC. However, when using this setup, the amp block doesn't process the signal panned hard right. It only processes the signal panned hard left.

This bug, along with not being able to use AES and SPDF simultaneously (perhaps as independent io blocks), is an indication that Fractal needs to work on the digital i/o of the Axe FX 3 more.

These two digital i/o limitations really hold the Axe FX 3 back.

I've noticed the same bug. I've got a stereo setup through my Antelope Audio Zen Tour. I'd like to feed the stereo signal to the Axe FX 3 via SPDF, to avoid needless DAC and ADC. However, when using this setup, the amp block doesn't process the signal panned hard right. It only processes the signal panned hard left.

This bug, along with not being able to use AES and SPDF simultaneously (perhaps as independent io blocks), is an indication that Fractal needs to work on the digital i/o of the Axe FX 3 more.

These two digital i/o limitations really hold the Axe FX 3 back.
1. If the Amp block Input Select is set to LEFT then it will only process the left channel. If you want to process the right channel then set the Input Select to RIGHT.

2. You can use both SPDIF and AES outputs simultaneously. The inputs cannot be used simultaneously since clock recovery can only be done on one or the other. If you tried to use both inputs one would likely have a different clock than the other and cause all kinds of problems. This is why we do it like this and why every other product in the market space does it like that.

1. If the Amp block Input Select is set to LEFT then it will only process the left channel. If you want to process the right channel then set the Input Select to RIGHT.

Apologies, I should have been more clear. The left and right inputs work just fine. The bug is with the output property. The amp block currently has no output when the balance property is set to 100 (i.e. when balance is panned hard right).

2. You can use both SPDIF and AES outputs simultaneously. The inputs cannot be used simultaneously since clock recovery can only be done on one or the other. If you tried to use both inputs one would likely have a different clock than the other and cause all kinds of problems. This is why we do it like this and why every other product in the market space does it like that.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in theory, if Axe Fx 3's internal clock is used, shouldn't that permit multiple digital inputs? (As an aside, this would also facilitate greater audio interface functionality.)

Regarding multiple digital outputs, it was my understanding that the "SPDIF/AES Select" parameter provided an exclusive choice between SPDIF and AES.

I'm not at my unit right now to test, but I'm looking at page 17, point #26 of the Axe FX 3 manual, which states: "Digital Inputs and Outputs - This includes both S/PDIF and AES/EBU format ... output jacks. Only one or the other pair can be active at any time depending on the setting of the SPDIF/AES Select parameter found in SETUP: I/O: Audio."

See also page 161, beside "SPDIF/AES Select," which states: "This switch selects whether the SPDIF or AES digital ... outputs are active. Only one format may be active at any time."

Apologies, I should have been more clear. The left and right inputs work just fine. The bug is with the output property. The amp block currently has no output when the balance property is set to 100 (i.e. when balance is panned hard right).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in theory, if Axe Fx 3's internal clock is used, shouldn't that permit multiple digital inputs? (As an aside, this would also facilitate greater audio interface functionality.)

Regarding multiple digital outputs, it was my understanding that the "SPDIF/AES Select" parameter provided an exclusive choice between SPDIF and AES.

I'm not at my unit right now to test, but I'm looking at page 17, point #26 of the Axe FX 3 manual, which states: "Digital Inputs and Outputs - This includes both S/PDIF and AES/EBU format ... output jacks. Only one or the other pair can be active at any time depending on the setting of the SPDIF/AES Select parameter found in SETUP: I/O: Audio."

See also page 161, beside "SPDIF/AES Select," which states: "This switch selects whether the SPDIF or AES digital ... outputs are active. Only one format may be active at any time."
1. The amp block works just fine if the balance is set to 100%. The issue is likely that you have your Cabinet block Input Mode set to LEFT.

2. The manual is incorrect. Both SPDIF and AES outputs can be used simultaneously. The SPDIF/AES Select selects the input to use.

First of all, thanks for your quick response time over the weekend. Very much appreciated.

With regard to the issues:

1. Thanks, you are correct. The cab block after the amp block was the source of the problem. There's no bug - the amp block's stereo i/o works as it should.

2. Thanks for clarifying/confirming that multiple digital outputs in the Axe FX 3 can be used simultaneously.

3. I think many users would be in favour of using the internal clock for the purposes of having multiple digital inputs. I do not consider this a bug, but certainly a great feature to add in future. It would save the cost of an external interface for many users, and make the Axe Fx 3 even more of an all-in-one solution.

First of all, thanks for your quick response time over the weekend. Very much appreciated.

With regard to the issues:

1. Thanks, you are correct. The cab block after the amp block was the source of the problem. There's no bug - the amp block's stereo i/o works as it should.

2. Thanks for clarifying/confirming that multiple digital outputs in the Axe FX 3 can be used simultaneously.

3. I think many users would be in favour of using the internal clock for the purposes of having multiple digital inputs. I do not consider this a bug, but certainly a great feature to add in future. It would save the cost of an external interface for many users, and make the Axe Fx 3 even more of an all-in-one solution.
You can't use the internal clock for purposes of having multiple digital inputs. The clocks will be out of sync.

Thanks Cliff! I can't thank you enough for your dedication to your products, team and consumers.

It is mono on mine. How do I change this?
I went to give you instructions and...now I'm doubting myself. Input 1 is definitely capable of stereo input as it happily processes USB 5/6 as stereo. I'll get back to you.

I don't use SPDIF. Check the IO menu and find the output source for SPDIF. Then make sure that output source is set to Stereo. If it is, make sure your DAW is hard panned properly.

I don't use SPDIF. Check the IO menu and find the output source for SPDIF. Then make sure that output source is set to Stereo. If it is, make sure your DAW is hard panned properly.
In, not out. Out is stereo, in is mono. The input lights for channel one are in only a single column.

In, not out. Out is stereo, in is mono. The input lights for channel one are in only a single column.

Sorry about that. I misread what was happening. It definitely works properly on USB. Unfortunately, I can't test SPDIF. I'm curious what the input meters show for the block when using SPDIF. Are you only seeing 1 of the 2 input meter bars?

Sorry about that. I misread what was happening. It definitely works properly on USB. Unfortunately, I can't test SPDIF. I'm curious what the input meters show for the block when using SPDIF. Are you only seeing 1 of the 2 input meter bars?
Just one, you have to use a volume block and pan left to center to get both left and right channels to work.

Back
Top Bottom