Differing amp model output levels

Actually, it is. Take one guitar and play through two amps,,, adjust volume so it is the same.
It’s no different than input trim for guitar. It’s output trim... automated.

I get that you can’t get my point. That does not mean it isn’t valid. Question: do you think the AXE FX isn’t doing normalization between other effects and cabs?

Essentially what you are saying is that two different amps with different settings can’t output the same volume.
I call BS. They certainly can. And it can be automatically adjusted for the user.
Ok. You must be correct by now.

Just tweak your tones until you like them. Then click on the output block and tweak each until levels match. Also, you have VU meters in every block now.

Normalizing volumes doesn't make any sense.
Changing any parameter in any amp is going to mess with the output.
Let's say all amps are normalized. Tweak mids. Volume changes.
And actually, even if you get them close using the VU meters, amps compress differently, so depending on how you play, one amp my sound louder than the other one.
It's just because it's the way amps are. Go play a real Twin Reverb and see for yourself.
A solution would be to disable power amp simulation and make everything linear. But for that matter, just go buy a pod xt

True. But I can see how consistency in one helps with consistency in the other.
I'm not sure how, unless you use all amp models very near the default settings (assuming they are already normalized)?

As soon as you start tweaking the Input Drive, Input Trim, MV, etc, your volume is now off and will still require leveling.

A good example: yesterday I decided to dial in the Dirty Shirley for my personal edge of breakup tone. I dropped the Input Drive from default of 5 to .9... Significant volume reduction. I immediately need to bump Level to get it up to the level of my other presets. In this (common) scenario, having things normalized does bupkiss for live use.

Just tweak your tones until you like them. Then click on the output block and tweak each until levels match. Also, you have VU meters in every block now.

Normalizing volumes doesn't make any sense.
Changing any parameter in any amp is going to mess with the output.
Let's say all amps are normalized. Tweak mids. Volume changes.
And actually, even if you get them close using the VU meters, amps compress differently, so depending on how you play, one amp my sound louder than the other one.
It's just because it's the way amps are. Go play a real Twin Reverb and see for yourself.
A solution would be to disable power amp simulation and make everything linear. But for that matter, just go buy a pod xt
How would you normalize two patches with two different amps so that you could use them in the same song?
You’d adjust output levels. I’m just asking that that be automated. AS AN OPTION.

I'm not sure how, unless you use all amp models very near the default settings (assuming they are already normalized)?

As soon as you start tweaking the Input Drive, Input Trim, MV, etc, your volume is now off and will still require leveling.

A good example: yesterday I decided to dial in the Dirty Shirley for my personal edge of breakup tone. I dropped the Input Drive from default of 5 to .9... Significant volume reduction. I immediately need to bump Level to get it up to the level of my other presets. In this (common) scenario, having things normalized does bupkiss for live use.
When you choose a different amp do your current gain and EQ settings apply?

People want to change amp types and have an ideal already-tweaked tone at a common level. Then they can play a chord, change amp types and have it be audible with the “right” tone for that amp so they can see if it’s the one they want for that situation.

This has been discussed for so many years. If it was “so easy” then we’d probably have this by now.

People want to change amp types and have an ideal already-tweaked tone at a common level. Then they can play a chord, change amp types and have it be audible with the “right” tone for that amp so they can see if it’s the one they want for that situation.

This has been discussed for so many years. If it was “so easy” then we’d probably have this by now.
I guess I am wrong then. Still, I’d like to be able to scroll through amps and choose on tone and feel rather than account for differences in volume. I still feel this is something that can be done. None of my previous modelers had a great discrepancy in volume among amps.

ugh, Level, not master volume. and if you're auditioning amp models with single coils, they'll all be relative to that guitar. Who auditions amps and switches guitars each time. As far as IR's go, they're all normalized. No one is complaining that a 4x12 should be louder than a 1x12.
Yes, LEVEL.

Yes, they do... But the same settings don't effect the same amps equally.
That would explain it. I think that ideally one should be able to adjust an amps gain and tone and call that up when comparing amps. We should be able to tweak an amp and have that be a template we can apply rather than having our current settings apply. At the very least it should be an option for users.

That would explain it. I think that ideally one should be able to adjust an amps gain and tone and call that up when comparing amps. We should be able to tweak an amp and have that be a template we can apply rather than having our current settings apply. At the very least it should be an option for users.
Block library... Exactly what it is for.

None of my previous modelers had a great discrepancy in volume among amps.
And they were what? And what method do they use to create models?

You understand that Fractal models amps at the component level, right? Most modelers only try to match the "sound" with a bunch of specialized EQ curves... Which is why they aren't very good in the "feel" department ;)

And they were what? And what method do they use to create models?

You understand that Fractal models amps at the component level, right? Most modelers only try to match the "sound" with a bunch of specialized EQ curves... Which is why they aren't very good in the "feel" department ;)
it’s not one or the other. Feel is not dependent on wildly different volume levels.

Wait a damn minute... You've been in here wishing and arguing for something and you haven't even experienced an issue yet?

Wow... You get 2 demerits! :eek:
I’m simply doing homework in prep for the arrival. Surely I can’t be faulted for that. Although the AXE FX III may be new to me, the concepts behind it’s use are not. I’m still not sure why the idea of normalizing is so polarizing here.

Back
Top Bottom