Different type guitars translating thru the Axe-Fx III

Hi all,

Do different guitars... ie, Strat, Tele, Les Paul and others retain their DNA and character with this unit? Do customized pick up choices do the same? I’ve put a lot of work in to getting my guitar library just right. Can I expect those efforts to be apparent in the Fractal world?

Many thanks from a newbie.

Hi all,

Do different guitars... ie, Strat, Tele, Les Paul and others retain their DNA and character with this unit? Do customized pick up choices do the same? I’ve put a lot of work in to getting my guitar library just right. Can I expect those efforts to be apparent in the Fractal world?

Oh yeah. I'd put it this way: anyone who's coming from another modeler will be shocked. One artist I know remarked "holy shit, it's like someone lifted a giant mattress off my tone." Anyone coming from a good amp will be delightfully "underwhelmed" in a way, in that there will be no difference in feel from their amp to the Axe. I recall one guy on here a few years back lamenting how many shitty habits the Axe-Fx exposed in his playing, something you often hear people say upon purchasing or trying out a really high-end boutique amp for the first time. The insanely compressed dynamic range of other modeling processors hides a lot of sins. Many refer to one famous early modeler as the "Great Leveler" i.e. it makes everyone and every guitar sound exactly the same.

Hi all,

The Axe-FX is the definitive cure of GAS for amplifiers, pedals, cabinets and speakers but, unfortunately, not for guitars and pickups :D

It captures all the nuances of different guitars and pickups.

Oh yeah. I'd put it this way: anyone who's coming from another modeler will be shocked.

That is true. I used to be happy with only one guitar for playing all kind of styles. Now my wife is very unhappy with the growing size of my guitar collection. :p

I think I’ve about 50 guitars right now :^D There doesn’t seem to have been an advance in guitar modelling for quite some time.

I think I’ve about 50 guitars right now :^D There doesn’t seem to have been an advance in guitar modelling for quite some time.

That's the reason why I've always been wishing for a Fractal Audio V-Guitar Modeler. Like the mighty Roland VG99 but with Fractal Audio quality. With the current state of technology, maybe it shouldn't even need to use a hex-pickup, just the regular pickups.

Besides using and tone-matching CAB IR's, we would also be dealing with IR's for pickups, guitar bodies, basses, all kind of stringed instruments, synths and strange devices :cool:

It would be the definitive end of GAS for guitars and pickups

Reactions: jkg
yep, those. still have those awful frequencies in the modelling that I can’t live with.

Some outboard guitar sims got developed, it's a new approach:
- Sim1 XT-1 (doing some kind of guitar profiling)
- Keyztone EXchanger (maybe some EQ and compression?)

Reactions: jkg
That's the reason why I've always been wishing for a Fractal Audio V-Guitar Modeler. Like the mighty Roland VG99 but with Fractal Audio quality. With the current state of technology, maybe it shouldn't even need to use a hex-pickup, just the regular pickups.

Besides using and tone-matching CAB IR's, we would also be dealing with IR's for pickups, guitar bodies, basses, all kind of stringed instruments, synths and strange devices :cool:

It would be the definitive end of GAS for guitars and pickups
Count me in :^D

Some outboard guitar sims got developed, it's a new approach:
- Sim1 XT-1 (doing some kind of guitar profiling)
- Keyztone EXchanger (maybe some EQ and compression?)
Latency is always going to be an issue with the round trip using software. I do have fun using Guitar Midi 2 though. I’ll take a peak at your suggestions. Thanks!

Latency is always going to be an issue with the round trip using software. I do have fun using Guitar Midi 2 though. I’ll take a peak at your suggestions. Thanks!

I got an XT-1 today and I will try it soon...I guess it's faster than a variax or a midi converter. But that's just guessing. We'll see.

I got an XT-1 today and I will try it soon...I guess it's faster than a variax or a midi converter. But that's just guessing. We'll see.

There shall be no audible latency, and nothing to do with midi-converters. It's like the Axe-FX Tone-Matching with steroids (you have to "tone-match" your guitar at the XT-1 before starting to play the models; they call it "learning procedure"). What I would be interested to know is the background noise. All these amazing demos are with clean tones, but I am wondering how noisy it is with high gain tones.

Ah. I’ve got the XT-1 for quite some time now and all I can say is , it’s amazing. Seriously.

To my amateur ears. No noise and latency at all. I’ve profiled my other 2 guitars and send them as targets. Have tried to download the free profile from the community .... limited play time with those ... sounds alright.

But I do feel that the paid versions are pretty decent. Not that I’ve forked out 9 euro for those, but, I did the free 5 min trial thing. Sounds really decent.

Back
Top Bottom