Different footswitch setup on per preset basis

gdgross

Experienced
I'm going to try and get into more detailed footswitch setups on the fm3, given that i've got fewer footswitches than the ax8 - in those days I just had a dedicated switch for every effect I wanted to toggle.

I have an expression pedal and 1 switch set up already to control wah expression and wah bypass. (not bothering with a hold function on that bypass switch.) For the second footswitch, I'd like to make it have different functions depending on the preset. In general, bypassing effects will be the main one though.

So, on the preset I'm currently setting up, i'd like it to bypass/engage the pitch block on the short press, and bypass/engage the MTD block on a long press. (on other presets I might want to use it for something else though, maybe bypassing/engaging or maybe scene switching, probably will depend on the preset.

How do I go about this? Sorry if this is a basic question; i've never really had to have a complex setup before!
Thanks!

edit - this is specifically for the two external switches.

Last edited:
you can have the Wah use Auto-Engage so it doesn't take up a switch. this is in the Modifier pop up page to control the wah.

you can use Per-Preset switches that change per preset.

in Edit, assign the switches themselves to Category Per-Preset and choose a PP# (number), like 1, 2 or 3, etc. you'll need to set both Tap and Hold to the same PP# if you want both Tap and Hold to be per-preset.

that will make the switches blank, because you haven't set any function per preset.

now in Edit, click Per Preset near the top right. click PP#1, assign the Tap and Hold function you want. you should see those functions pop up on the switches as you add them in Per-Preset.

repeat for the other switches.

you must Save the preset for these per-preset assignments to save.

if you go to another preset, you'll have to adjust those Per-Preset assignments, and so on.

Thanks chris. Perhaps I need a more basic answer then... where do i see the external footwitches in the editor? When i click the "FC controllers" button, I see the various layouts, but I don't know where the external switches are hidden...

thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 2.20.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 2.20.09 PM.png
    202.6 KB · Views: 18
Thanks chris. Perhaps I need a more basic answer then... where do i see the external footwitches in the editor? When i click the "FC controllers" button, I see the various layouts, but I don't know where the external switches are hidden...

thanks!
oh your question is specifically for external switches?

You cannot have different footswitch setups (assignments) for external switches like you can for the onboard switches. This is something I have been requesting for a while. You can chime in your support for this suggestion here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...tch-functions-per-layout.160711/#post-1924086

But as it is right now, the external switches will only do the same thing on all presets.
Ah, bummer.

Commented on the other thread (didn’t see if there was a voting system; I’m on my mobile)

But using the four channels, can't you use an external switch to do four different things on different scenes within a preset?

But using the four channels, can't you use an external switch to do four different things on different scenes within a preset?
yeah, probably. could also have it do different things on different presets if each one has different blocks. I'm planning on using this fsw as my sort of "special" effects bypass.

For example, in my main acoustic preset, which uses a looper, i've set it up to bypass/engage the pitch block (set to one octave down for thump and "bass") before the looper.

But on other, more traditional presets, I think I'll set use the same fsw to control different effects blocks. I rarely use pitch except for special things like this so there's little chance of collision with other controls.

Another thing I just realized - you can't do a secondary "hold" function on an external footswitch :-/

ok, started to set up a stand in switch a la the axe tutorials video above, and I'm getting some strange behavior.

I set it up to bypass/engage the pitch block on a tap, and bypass engage a PEQ block on a hold. The blocks, though seem to be randomly bypassed and engaged. Sometimes a short press will bypass or engage the pitch block correctly, sometimes it will turn one on and the other off, sometimes nothing. Same thing for the hold function.

I recorded a video demonstrating this, it's about a minute and a half
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bl7ek9n90ckg55n/IMG_1770.MOV?dl=0

Any ideas what's going on? Bug? (or user error, more likely...)

Back
Top Bottom