Differences using Drive Block or Boost in the amp?

My understanding is that the boost uses less CPU, but I don’t know if it behaves any differently apart from having more control over a drive block.

Someone will come in with more certainty and detail, but an obvious difference is you can't adjust the drive or tone or other settings on the amp boost, just the level. And they're mostly configured to be a clean boost (low drive), so there may be CPU optimizations around not needing to model the clipping the same way, and not needing to model pots (since drive and tone etc are fixed values). I also suspect that the amp boost runs on the Amp CPU instead of the effects CPU.

"The amp boosts are just the frequency shaping part of the drive. The clipping stuff is removed. It's analogous to turning the Drive knob all the way down and using the pedal as a clean boost.”
Does that mean it’s essentially the same as using an EQ in front of the amp?

Well, I have just tried some hours ago while building a preset Template.....It does sound different .....I prefer using a drive block in front of the amp than using that same drive in the amp block.....BUT try it out and listen to the difference if you hear any.....!

Well, I have just tried some hours ago while building a preset Template.....It does sound different .....I prefer using a drive block in front of the amp than using that same drive in the amp block.....BUT try it out and listen to the difference if you hear any.....!
Agreed. There’s just something I prefer about using the Drive block. I tried on my FM3 as well to save some CPU but I prefer the Drive block.

The drive block sounds more "gritty" to me if that makes sense. I tend to use the drive's in the preamp section of the amp block more than I use drive pedals these days. Mainly because it is easy to work with. I just think it is great we have so many options!

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom