Differences from AX8 (Ares? Quantum?) to FM9/Axe FX 3.

bigswifty

Inspired
Hey fellas!

I just got my FM9 last night and had a blast playing for a couple hours and exploring the sounds. It feels fantastic.

I'm curious for those who are early adopters of the Axe 3 or avid Fractal guys, can you give me a run down of the key features, improvements and additions since the AX8? I beleive they brought Ares firmware 1.0 to the AX8 before they discontinued support..

Either way, I haven't had a Fractal update in over 3 years, so what's new?

Cheers 🍻

Thinking of selling my lll/FC12 to get the FM9. What will I be missing besides 3 switches and a ton more stuff to carry to a gig?

Thinking of selling my lll/FC12 to get the FM9. What will I be missing besides 3 switches and a ton more stuff to carry to a gig?

Why not, eh? Just DSP, some routing options and a few FX blocks as far as I know!

Too bad there isn't some kind of update log where I could filter one update vs another and view the key feature differences between them. Alas, that's probably a lot of work and little payoff. That's why I'm asking you guys 😁

The Difference is"Pentium"
Intel couldn't trademark 486, so we got Pentium, Celeron... etc.

4.0 vs 16.0 its all progress, but now that there is names (Cygnus, Ares)... well now it Blooms & has feel, Chugs... etc... back when we only had 11.2 upgrade to 12.0 it wasn't "Game Changing" or "Night & Day, yet subtle"

Thanks for the thorough responses! My main concern is processing power. Both the AX8 and the FM3 have much less than their rack counterparts. It is my understanding the FM9 has significantly more power and memory than the FM3. How close is it to the AxeFx3 in that regard? I don’t want to swap out and then discover there are tons of things I cannot do because of processing limitations.

Thanks for the thorough responses! My main concern is processing power. Both the AX8 and the FM3 have much less than their rack counterparts. It is my understanding the FM9 has significantly more power and memory than the FM3. How close is it to the AxeFx3 in that regard? I don’t want to swap out and then discover there are tons of things I cannot do because of processing limitations.
It is always a trade-off. Cooper stated in his video that the FM9 was 50 percent of the power of the Ax III.. I know, we asked for the next floor unit to be a floor version to the Ax3..

It is always a trade-off. Cooper stated in his video that the FM9 was 50 percent of the power of the Ax III.. I know, we asked for the next floor unit to be a floor version to the Ax3..
Yeah, I wasn't expecting 100% but 50% may not be significant enough IMO. I was hoping to use Fractool or something similar to transfer some of my favorite presets from the Axe lll to the FM9.

I got the FM9 to add more power to my FX3 rig. Also upgraded to Turbo there. The two, working together, can do some amazing stuff....

Back
Top Bottom