Difference in using scenes - vs - mfc for effects .... i.e. Drive Button

blackadder

Here's the scenario.

I have an amp and put a drive in front of it.

2 options: 1) I select a scene 1 with drive on and scene 2 with drive off

2) or just using scene 1 with drive and manipulating the mfc to turn drive off

2 totally different sounds when trying to take the drive off of scene 1. Sounds much better if I switch to scene2 than if I leave on scene 1 and use the mfc to turn off the drive.

Shouldn't they sound identical? If only using scene 1 and using board it sounds muffled and terrible.

Also, say on using HBE preset , I don't have drive on , just using amp -( at least if I have axe edit on that is the way it looks on the computer) and sounds different if selected via axe edit- more distortion. The drive light will be lit on the MFC even if it says off on the axe edit.

I am confused, more than normal......lol

Any ideas?

For question 1, if the only difference between scene 1 and 2 is that the drive block is on or off then there should be no sound difference between switching scenes or turning on the drive ia switch. If they sound different then they are different, look at everything very carefully, it could be as simple as 1 block was accidentally saved with a different xy than the other scene.

for question 2, assuming you are in axe fx mode on the MFC, there is 3 light possibilities. Green means the effect is active. Red means the effect is available on the preset but is currently off. No light means that the effect is not in use in that preset.

Will check question 1 with the x/y but I rarely use that option. The 2 questions are really linked in that what the MFC says and what Axe Edit says are different. And..... I am wondering what the MFC is shutting of when I use it to kill the drive.

I will crack open MFC edit and see which and what parameter is saved to that button, but I am about 100% its just regular drive button.

Question 2 is that the green light is on and the drive block is on according to the MFC , but if I look at Axe Edit the block is off. Sounds like it normally sounds. If I want a cleaner sound and click off the drive with the MFC it sounds muddy and bad with no change to the Axe Edit readout.

If I click on the drive block that is off on the Axe Edit / computer then it behaves as you would expect and adds the drive pedal to the sound.

The changes you make in axe edit will not reflect on the MFC. You are not supposed to use them simultaneously. The MFC has to be refreshed to see what changes was made in axe edit. Keep in mind that the IA switches on the MFC only turn on and off, so if you accidentally saved one of the scenes with say the Y state of the drive block showing, when you press the drive IA it's going to pull up the wrong one. And it's real easy to save a preset with the y instead of x in axe edit.

Bypass each block in scene 1 and 2. They must be different in a way you're not recognizing.

Or do the smart thing, and do the 'copy scene' trick in Axe Edit.

Back
Top Bottom