Difference in cab lab

Keith White

Experienced
I'm not too software savvy so I'm asking here. I am going to purchase cab lab but there are two options. Cab lab only for 49.95. And cab lab bundle with plug in for 79.95. I am going to only use it only with the axe fx 2.

FYI if you are creating mixes with the current Cab Lab, there is a major bug that is acknowledged by the developers and is being currently addressed.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/loss-of-fidelity-in-impulses-cab-lab-3.109585/page-2

Ryan Buckley - "The raw .ir file created via the IR Capture functionality is not affected. You will not have to re-shoot IRs. As of now the .ir files created via 'Save Mix to Disk' are affected. Please note that 'Save Mix to Disk' under Save + Export is different than 'Save as File' under IR Capture. When performing an IR capture the IR data is captured and processed by the Axe-Fx II. Cab-Lab just retrieves the data and writes it to disk without additional processing of the impulse response. In addition, the .ir files created using Wav2Syx are not affected. Also, .syx files are not affected.

In all, the only way you would be affected by this is if you created a mix, saved it to disk, and then used the resulting .ir file in a subsequent mix.
This applies to the standalone and Lite versions only.*

As of now we're planning to remove the .ir file generated during a mix. Why? Because it's not really useful. Instead of saving a mixed .ir make sure you save your session! Saving the session is exactly the same thing as saving the .ir with the added bonus of being able to adjust the original mix. Wav2Syx batch conversion will still generate a .ir file.

That being said, you will not have to reprocess your .syx files created with Cab-Lab, however, these updates to Cab-Lab will coincide with UltraRes 2.0 so you may want to reprocess the files anyway. UltraRes 2.0!? o_O Yes, Cliff has devised a way to make UltraRes even better and support will be included in the next Cab-Lab release. But to reiterate, reprocessing your .syx files created with Cab-Lab is not required.

Finally, all changes to Cab-Lab will be included in the release notes.

*In post #11 Morphosis showed his IRs being truncated to 2K when using the plugin. This is not related, however, I've increased the buffer size to 8K so that the plug-in will use the full resolution of mixed IR."

Lets pretend that i have never used this product so i know nothing about it this time so that all sounds chinese to me. Haha. I will be mixing cabs from third party ir cab packs. This is the correct program right? I will not be making my own irs

it works great for mixing Ir's. It also works great for auditioning Ir's even if you do not mix them.

yes, it is the right program. get Cab Lab only. Cab Lab bundle only if you want a second "program" (the same actually, just in a different format to work inside your sequencer program as a plugin). you can mix cabs as long as the third party provides .wav or .ir files, which most do.

For what it's worth, I had a problem with the cab lab running as a plugin in logic pro x. It turns out if I had any instances of slate vmr running in my session and I had cab lab up and running, when I closed out of logic and opened the session again it would crash out until I removed cab lab from my components. I sent the crash reports to fractal but it never did, to my knowledge, get resolved.

Back
Top Bottom