Diezel VH4 Moderns.

Omri Bazelet

Inspired
Weirdly enough. The new Diezel VH4 isn't the same as the AX3 Models.
It includes KT77 and 12AX7.
The Axe models includes EL34 and EC833

According to @yek's Amp Guide it is 6L6 and ECC83...

Note that both the Preamp and Poweramp tube types can be changed in the amp block.

The VH4 I bought in 2012 already had KT77.
I’ve sold the amp but still have a set of those tubes. And one blown is erected beside my Axe-Fx 3 as a reminder...

If it was then we would not have both options in preamp tube selection ;)

They are "compatible" tubes, not the same thing.

More details here in the PREAMP TUBE TYPE section here:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_block#PREAMP_TUBE_TYPE

That's not quite right, and the link proves it. In practice 12AX7 and ecc83 are just the north american and european specifications for what are interchangeable tubes. Individual manufacturers all achieved those specs via different construction which lead to slightly different behaviors, especially in the way guitar amps push them beyond the range they were supposed to operate in by overdriving them. So the different models in the Axe FX III are basically just given generic names which hint at the real tubes measured to model them.

But from a practical standpoint, you can't say "This amp should have ECC83s because that's what the specs say" because the specs might just say ECC83 because it's a european company using the european spec names, but the stock tubes are chinese tubes relabled as Ruby which were built based on a an american design which would have been called 12AX7 when the american company was making them.

So what I'm saying is that "12AX7 and ECC83 are not different in that all 12AX7s do one thing and all ECC83s do another, the individual models labelled as 12AX7 and ECC83 in the AXE FX III are different because they're based on different models of tube, just like all the other 12AX7 variations. You can consider them all interchangable with slight variations and the AXE FX III names for them do not correlate to the listed tubes on amp specs."

The AXE FX III ECC83 is not necessarily a better or more authentic choice for the Diezel models than the 12AX7 model.

That's not quite right, and the link proves it. In practice 12AX7 and ecc83 are just the north american and european specifications for what are interchangeable tubes.
From the wiki link:

The ECC83 was the European equivalent of the 12AX7A

They are "compatible" tubes, not the same thing.
I think maybe we're clashing over semantics here... :)

The quote came from here:

I figured that was it. Like I said the preamp modeling in 6.00 is the same as 5.xx except the parameters for the default tube type (12AX7A SYL) are different. The Sylvania 12AX7A is more nonlinear than other 12AX7As which results in more dynamics but will also result in more "background" distortion because the waveform is being distorted even when it isn't being clipped. The JJ version is more linear which will result in a tighter tone and less background distortion but less dynamics.

For 6.01 I've also added back the old 12AX7B type which is the most linear of the types and clips hard. People who play with lots of gain tend to like this as it results in tighter tone and more aggressive harmonic content.

There are two primary parameters associated with our preamp tube models. "Preamp Hardness" determines how abrupt the tube clips when it enters the saturation region. There is another parameter that determines how nonlinear the tube is between cutoff and saturation. This is currently not exposed to the user but I've been contemplating adding it.

I've also changed the default type for British amps to the ECC83 model as these amps typically were equipped with ECC83s (duh). The ECC83 was the European equivalent of the 12AX7A and tended to be a bit more linear and clip a little harder.

I own a VH4 and had the opportunity to talk in person with two techs that were also their US distributors in the past. It has been shipped with KT77s since around 2011, and was shipped with EL34s for many years prior. I prefer it with EL34s, myself. Although, if you want the Jones Tone, then use 6L6s. That's what he uses in the blueface. And while the clean channel is phenomenal with any set of tubes, it is amazing with 6L6s! As said above, the pre-amp tubes are Chinese 12AX7s, sourced mostly from Shuguang. Usually they are higher quality levels of Ruby branded tubes.

BTW, I hope we get channel 1 modeled. It is one of the best clean channels I've played through on any amp. I'm surprised not to see it, especially given that channels 2/3/4 are included.

Back
Top Bottom