Diezel Herbert Mid-Cut Feature

Hey All,

I know that the mid-cut feature of the Herbert isn't worked into the Axe-FX model. However, it's a cool feature that I'd like to use on and off with the model, if possible. I've tried playing around with some of the Axe-FX's EQs to replicate it, but haven't had much luck. Does anyone have a trick to replicating the mid-cut function?

I don't have a solution per se, but I think it would be neat if this feature were worked into the "Fat" switch in the amp block (i.e., Fat switch off = mid cut).

I don't have a solution per se, but I think it would be neat if this feature were worked into the "Fat" switch in the amp block (i.e., Fat switch off = mid cut).

I suspect that'd not a be wise option… off has to do nothing at all..

I have a Herbert in my Man Cave, hehe...And I will say that the mid-cut feature is something that sets Herbert apart. It is almost like one of the characteristics that hasn't been copied by others that makes Herbert unique.
That said, I still use the Herbert amp in the Axe, yet being able to turn mid cut on/off from scene to scene or X/Y would be a MAJOR thing.
I love Herbert as a head and enjoy the amp model as well, however you have hit on something here...it isn't really a complete model without the mid cut feature.

Honestly, I don't miss it too much, because I will just set the EQ to where I get a similar tone, not the amps EQ but by adding a graphic to the preset.
The Axe gives SO many options for tone shaping it isn't the end of the world.
Still, I would use a mid-cut feature if it were available.

I suspect that'd not a be wise option… off has to do nothing at all..

My point was that fat switch "off" would actively be engaging the mid cut (opposite of fat), thus meaning "on" would be doing nothing at all. I fail to see how that's somehow undesirable. Attainable, that's another question, but I'll leave that to Cliff & Co.

I was reading about this circuit recently. It sounds like it is a notch filter in the mids right before the tone stack.

You could probably approximate it with a parametric EQ right after the amp. Notch the mid frequencies and sweep it from around 400hz to about 1000hz until you find the right spot.

I have a Herbert in my Man Cave, hehe...And I will say that the mid-cut feature is something that sets Herbert apart.

Yeah, one of my friends has a Herbert and I just loved the way the mid-cut worked in the mix. The guitar tone would sit almost behind the band and create this wall of sound. Then when you disengaged, it'd bump you up to right in front of the band for leads or layered parts. It seemed to give the amp a much different tone than scooping features on other amps.

Reactions: J.C
Yeah. This sounds like something that would be easy to mimic if we could just find out what frequency, db cut, and q the mid cut uses.

Yeah, one of my friends has a Herbert and I just loved the way the mid-cut worked in the mix. The guitar tone would sit almost behind the band and create this wall of sound. Then when you disengaged, it'd bump you up to right in front of the band for leads or layered parts. It seemed to give the amp a much different tone than scooping features on other amps.

Yep, Herbert has quite a bit of versatility with 3 channels, midi, loops, mid-cut, 2 Masters, etc...
Most can be replicated pretty easily, yet mid-cut os a cool feature that most amps don't offer.

I was reading about this circuit recently. It sounds like it is a notch filter in the mids right before the tone stack.

You could probably approximate it with a parametric EQ right after the amp. Notch the mid frequencies and sweep it from around 400hz to about 1000hz until you find the right spot.

This is the right answer ,People asked Peter how to replicate it on the VH4 ,,the freq is 400HZ 12oclock and lower cuts the freq ,12 and over boosts it , when you scoop mids you lose volume so the volume allows a scooped tone to be level

Peters advice was put and Eq in the loop cutting or boosting 400HZ

This seems like something that would show up as an additional amp model as opposed to being a switch much like the Brit AFS100 1 & 2 models in the Axe FX. They are the same amp channel with and without a tone shaping switch engaged.

Use a PEAKEQ filter at 400 Hz with a Q of 1.4. Decrease the Gain until the desired scoop is achieved. Play with the Q to set the width of the scoop.
Thanks for this tip....I have a Herbert and love this feature... Love my AxeFx more though :-}

Any luck with replicating this? I've recently found a new love for this model.

I've had a TON of success with the PEAKEQ tip. It replicated the mid-cut perfectly and gave it the same ability to cut through the mix without extra volume that the real amp offers. The amp model itself has gone through a few revisions since then (G3, then Quantum), so you may have to tweak the parameters of the EQ a bit to get it where you want, but it's easy to fiddle with. Basically, add that block between the amp and cab with the settings that he uses, then adjust the Q and gain until it matches the sound that you want.

One of my main metal rhythm patches on the Axe is the the PEAKEQ's Herbert panned hard right through an EVM12L IR, then a Recto through an English V30 IR panned hard left. It sounds massive. Very Lateralus-era Tool sort of tone.

I've had a TON of success with the PEAKEQ tip. It replicated the mid-cut perfectly and gave it the same ability to cut through the mix without extra volume that the real amp offers. The amp model itself has gone through a few revisions since then (G3, then Quantum), so you may have to tweak the parameters of the EQ a bit to get it where you want, but it's easy to fiddle with. Basically, add that block between the amp and cab with the settings that he uses, then adjust the Q and gain until it matches the sound that you want.

One of my main metal rhythm patches on the Axe is the the PEAKEQ's Herbert panned hard right through an EVM12L IR, then a Recto through an English V30 IR panned hard left. It sounds massive. Very Lateralus-era Tool sort of tone.

Oh man how have I llived without that? Herb & recto is a chug fest. Herb & 6160+ is pretty sweet too!

Oh man how have I llived without that? Herb & recto is a chug fest. Herb & 6160+ is pretty sweet too!
I would probably dig more the later as I am a 5150 guy. The only real amp I still have. Do you have a Herbie + 6160 patch? I never seem to have much luck with 2 amps at one time.

Back
Top Bottom