Didnt have time to finish. Is it good?

You see a lot of guitar videos that are just too good to be true. I don t mind as there seems to be an audience for it, but it won t get more than a few seconds of 'that s cool' from me.
As it s not a good idea to compare yourself to overly photoshopped model pics in the glossies, i believe you shouldn't compare yourself to those vids.

If i see a solo entry or other vid that s too perfect, i just look for a real live video. Almost always the skill level comes crashing down. And if not a single live vid is to be found, well... 🤔

You see a lot of guitar videos that are just too good to be true. I don t mind as there seems to be an audience for it, but it won t get more than a few seconds of 'that s cool' from me.
As it s not a good idea to compare yourself to overly photoshopped model pics in the glossies, i believe you shouldn't compare yourself to those vids.

If i see a solo entry or other vid that s too perfect, i just look for a real live video. Almost always the skill level comes crashing down. And if not a single live vid is to be found, well... 🤔
Sadly, there are live videos of shredders doing the Milli Vanilli. IOW, just miming to something they clearly didn't play, even in the studio. Like this one:

The original clip is obviously sped up. There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever. I would much prefer to hear it at the original speed. As is, it is unwatchable and unlistenable. That's unfortunate. It's like trying to watch a movie where the network has time compressed it.

The original clip is obviously sped up. There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever. I would much prefer to hear it at the original speed. As is, it is unwatchable and unlistenable. That's unfortunate. It's like trying to watch a movie where the network has time compressed it.
The guy's got talent, no doubt. Some of those licks are pretty sweet.

But I agree, the first one is clearly sped up. You can see how they look glitchy - like there are frames being dropped.

As long as you're honest about it, anything goes. Whatever it takes to get what's in your brain to the listener's brain is fair game. Who cares, so long as you create something that someone (even if it's just yourself) enjoys.

But don't go out of your way to try and fool people into thinking you're doing something you're not. That's pretty lame.

But don't go out of your way to try and fool people into thinking you're doing something you're not. That's pretty lame.
The only people making any claims about it being dishonest are the ones with the pitchforks out. He makes no claims about speeding things up or not. He's not trying to be dishonest about anything.

Y'all come off weird as hell so obsessed with tearing someone down like this.

I don't care how it's done; I think it's wonderful.

I mean, how is speeding up and editing a video any different from using a computer (or pencil and paper!) to compose music? It's a way of getting content from the brain to the ears, and should be applauded full stop.

Yes, that means someone can be a great composer without knowing how to play. The issue starts when they start to pretend.

The only people making any claims about it being dishonest are the ones with the pitchforks out. He makes no claims about speeding things up or not. He's not trying to be dishonest about anything.

Y'all come off weird as hell so obsessed with tearing someone down like this.

I didn't make any accusations about anyone speeding anything up. I was providing my thoughts on where to draw the line in general between what's ok and what's not when it comes to any kind of musical work or performance.

Maybe you're the one coming off strangely for defending that youtuber to the point that you're chastising people for attacking him when they didn't.

Maybe you're the one coming off strangely for defending that youtuber to the point that you're chastising people for attacking him when they didn't.
Yes, I find the armchair analysis and venom from you lot abhorrent. It serves no real purpose other than denigrating someone else's art.

You can be a positive force in the world or you can be...well...this thread.

Yes, I find the armchair analysis and venom from you lot abhorrent. It serves no real purpose other than denigrating someone else's art.

You can be a positive force in the world or you can be...well...this thread.

The problem is that the kids think it's real! When you pretend, cheat and lie, you are not a positive force.

There is a lot of music out there that based on sampling and slowing down, changing pitch, etc. But when you pose on a video, actually many videos and you act like you are playing live? That's not art and not positive.

The problem is that the kids think it's real! When you pretend, cheat and lie, you are not a positive force.

There is a lot of music out there that based on sampling and slowing down, changing pitch, etc. But when you pose on a video, actually many videos and you act like you are playing live? That's not art and not positive.
That's certainly an opinion.

It's certainly an insight into how many people view guitar playing as a competitive sport.

I can see how if this guys ENTIRE schtick was "Look, I can play fast!!!" (maybe it is, I'm not doing a deep dive) and everything is sped up to fool you it's going to rub some people the wrong way. Seems like a waste of time to give it that much attention really, unless you're into that sorta thing.

At the end of the day, for me, it's about what is reaching my ears and do I find it enjoyable or not. How it's achieved is pretty much irrelevant to me. It doesn't make the music less enjoyable if I find out it was manipulated. Heck, half the metal I love I would have to toss in the trash bin due to drums that were altered, or simply never actually played by a human being :p.

1) These arguments always suck. It's constantly alleged that the Rings of Saturn guy, the OP vid, etc speed up their videos - without proof - despite the fact that these same individuals have shown in live situations that they can play the same (or equivalent) parts without any trickery.

2) A lot of your favourite music has been made with studio trickery. Master of Puppets - the greatest metal song of all time - was recorded with tuned-down guitars at a lower tempo and then sped up to pitch, to get it as tight as it sounds.[1]

[1] - https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/metallica-master-puppets-album-227269/

Back
Top Bottom