Did your effect pedals GAS stop since you bought your Axe fx?

Kinda, but not really. I still get interested in stuff, and buy things to explore. The difference now is they rarely make it to the live performance environment. I can normally find a way to dial something up in the AFXII that does what I want without adding one more pedal (and cables, and power supply...) to the floor.

That being said, I don't always bring my live rig when playing with friends, rehearsing, etc so it is good to have something workable there. I am currently messing with the FlyRig 5, as a backup to the AFXII and as a quick "grab and go" amp solution. I am still on the Analogman wait list for a King of Tone pedal I'd like to use with it.

See? There is the appearance of gaslessness, but it's never quite a reality.

I hear ya. We have a big show coming up with 4 other acts on the bill. The travel Logistics aren't that great (Ferry). They're providing a back line and I won't be bringing my Rig for 1-90 minute set. So I just bought a Wampler Fusion Drive and a BB Preamp Plus to cover me. It'll be my first show without my Axe FX, it's killing me...

It was a good excuse to buy them...!!

Last edited:
I have a B-rig with a Blues Jr. that I've put together with a few pedals. A Carl Martin Plexitone, Red Witch Violetta delay and an Xotic SP compressor all riding on a Pedaltrain Nano. Its the little brother to my Fractal rig. I'm still eyeing a few more pedals.

How do you like the Pedaltrain Nano? Thinking of buying that too or maybe the Pedaltrain Mini. Can a Voodoo Lab Pedal power plus be attached under the Pedaltrain? I am afraid it might not fit.

One reason I still use pedals is that I want to have real time control over my effects. I want to tweak them on the spot according to the room or song. That's much harder with the Axe fx or any other multi effect. You have to go through lots of menus if you want to tweak. No problem at home but in an improv situation this is not handy. Also it is much easier and faster to get your sound with pedals. I can get a good drive or chorus sound within seconds with pedals. On the Axe it takes much longer because there are more (sometimes too much) parameters to consider.

PS Didn't realize it was off topic and it got moved. I thought it was on topic...

Last edited:
I have stopped looking them up online so obsessively, but there are still definitely a few i would really like to run through my Fender DRRI (I hardly use this anymore haha).
Black Arts Toneworks and Earthquaker Devices pedals really make my nuts tingle. I sold about 12 pedals total of both brands when i got my Axe. I only own a Big Muff now and a Pigtronix Infinity Looper!

I agree with the guy above me, a Strymon Timeline would be pretty damn sweet.

Hi

the AFX2 really calm down my GAS. Nevertheless and even if I do love my AFX (best buy ever), I just purchased a 4 channels H&K GM36 (really great BTW), just for the pleasure to vary the fun, and I must 0 still love to swap tubes, compare, check etc., play with diff cabs, speakers... AS with my awesoe AFX !

About pedals, I stop buying, more on selling.
Just keep these to use with my tube amp: MI Audio Neo Fuzz, JMB Exp Riff Shooter (french manufacturer), MXR Carbon copy, MXR eq M108, Xotic EP Booster.

I use my AFX straight into, no pedal in front or in the loop. I tested with pedals in front but found I can do rougthly the same with drive blocks (even if these blocks have some improvement ways, but already really good - more great fuzz please...), more or less with great Q & tone, and in the simpliest way with guitar and 1 cable !

It did for a while. I pretty much sold off all my amp gear and most of my FX gear, just keeping a few of my pedals and my PP2+.

But lately I've wanted a more simple and more compact rig, so I put together a lil pedalboard b-rig. And I'll keep buying bits 'n' pieces to swap things out here 'n' there for a bit of variation. The neo fuzz spot already has a few different pedals that go in and out of that position.

Attachments

• 20140810_015523.jpg
    20140810_015523.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 27
But lately I've wanted a more simple and more compact rig, so I put together a lil pedalboard b-rig. And I'll keep buying bits 'n' pieces to swap things out here 'n' there for a bit of variation. The neo fuzz spot already has a few different pedals that go in and out of that position.

nice board! AMT fan I see? how is the AMT wah and Bulava?

How do you like the Pedaltrain Nano? Thinking of buying that too or maybe the Pedaltrain Mini. Can a Voodoo Lab Pedal power plus be attached under the Pedaltrain? I am afraid it might not fit.

The Nano is great. I could probably fit 5-6 smaller pedals on it (think Xotic, Red Witch Seven Sisters, etc). Not sure about the Pedal Power Plus; I'm using a 1 Spot for now. It would be interesting to set it up with all Red Witch Seven Sisters pedals since they're small and powered by lithium ion batteries.

The Nano is a steal for $50, including case. I've got its big brother the Pedaltrain Pro carrying my MFC and expression pedals, and its also awesome.

nice board! AMT fan I see? how is the AMT wah and Bulava?

The wah sounds nice, but it's a bit odd to use. Certainly at first I guess, although I suppose I'm getting kinda used to it now.

The SS-30 at first I wasn't too thrilled with, but after a bit of time and tweaking I actually quite like it. The clean with the gain cranked does get into slightly broken up territory, and then there's the clean boost switch to give it a bit more. The crunch channel I have a nice crunchy low gain sound, but then I roll back the tone pot on the guitar and I get nice warmer sounds. And the high gain... well, it does what it's supposed to. :lol Plenty of gain available there.

Would I sell off all my other stuff and just run this? Well no. But it's a pretty nifty little compact rig. Gig bag on my back, Pedaltrain Jr in one hand, 1x12 in the other... good to go. :)

I wouldn't mind trying their other preamps, with the little glowy bits in 'em... but there's also plenty of other crap I want to try. Something from Kingsley is probably next in line.

I have SARs, sellers aquisition remorse syndrome, for all else prior to axe. or SAS for short.

It did for a while. I pretty much sold off all my amp gear and most of my FX gear, just keeping a few of my pedals and my PP2+.

I've been thinking of doing something like this, mainly to re-build a small collection of favorite pedals from pre-axe days... not so much out of need, but nostalgia maybe? I have to say, as much as I dig my axe (and not having to run a gazillion feet of patch cables and even more to/from loops, provide clean power to several little boxes, etc.), the pedals can be a lot more fun to look at.
Whatev, some people collect stamps. Pedals > stamps.

Along with the Axe-FX, marriage stops GAS! But yes, the only thing I've bought (pedals, amps or cabs) is a TC VoiceLive2. And that's been in over 2 years. I can't bear to part with my old setups though as if the Axe-FX blows up then I'm a bit screwed!

Back
Top Bottom