Did you stay on Fw 8.x Or move to 9.x (poll)

Did you stay on Fw 8.x Or move to 9.x

• Total voters
Just did the update to 9.02... I hear a clarity improvement. Some presets I did not like the spkr comp and kept the backup version. Some I liked...and others just added 0.5 and sounds good. Gig in 2 weeks will see how that goes...should be fine!!!

Staying on 8.2 because I can't give up the X-Former Grind feature. Really sucks in the sense that I don't get to enjoy the other improvements/refinements Cliff made as of the 9.0X firmware.

X-Former Grind is what brought the Axe Fx to life on the heavy side of things for me because I like an extremely biting/searing crunch sound that's super articulate and not overly gainy. 'Warm' is not in my tonal vocabulary when I wanna play aggressively so, until I can figure out a way to keep the extra sharp thing that X-Former Grind does in 9.0XXX, I'm stuck.

I should also point out that it's because of Cliff advising me to crank the X-Former grind that I found the tone I was after with the Axe Fx on the crunch side in the first place. Yeah, I know, I'm most likely in the minority tonally speaking but, I really like the thing to take my head off when playing heavy stuff.

The Cliff giveth, and the Cliff taketh away. :laughing::tonguewink:
I am staying with 8.2 for the same reason!

I use the IIC++ 99% of the time and for some reason I prefer 8.02, ive gone back and forth between 8.02 and 9.02. I'm now on 9.02 because I wanted to try out someone else's presets and I decided to stay with 9 seeing as Jon is working on his new Metallica presets that will be on the latest firmware. Having used 9.02 for a few days I can get pretty damn close to my 8.02 presets but I dare not try 8.02 again or I will cry and stay with it again . lol
I use guitarJon Metallica patch and I just tweaked some it's in 9 I think 9 point 2 it's just evil man it's the best patch ,I had to redo my other patches to compete with it cant wait for the new one

I'll swap tone stacks, turn the power amp hardness WAY up, turn the negative feedback WAY up and anything else I can in order to get the fastest response and most defined attack I can

This week I've been playing with nothing but the advanced parameters to do just that; it's been a while since I really did a deep dive into them and have gotten amazing results to open up the amp so it 'barks' just the way I like it. I love to feel the notes exploding and being really in-your-face mostly. Those two parameters are of huge importance to achieving that, along with several other ones.

It's been a great week playing with all of the advanced parameters with various amps/tones, and I've discovered a few new tricks and insights; I've definitely taken my tones up a notch or two for sure, particularly on the 'feel' aspect. I have to state that many of these parameters will only 'reveal' themselves if you have things pretty cranked (volume wise) to hear/feel the sometimes subtle differences while adjusting them, and have the Master running high enough to start to make the power amp sweat.

Playing with bias points (both preamp and poweramp), phase inverter, tube types, power amp hardness, negative feedback, etc. will reveal some new insights into getting the most out the AFX for sure. Those are some of the most important/useful parameters overall for my needs.

I went from 8.02, to 9.00 Beta, then to 9.00 official release, but decided to stay on 9.00 Beta.. Have not tried either 9.01 or 9.02 yet Beta or Final Release.. So maybe I'm missing out on a few things.. lol

Haven't tried 9.x but the feedback seems mixed so I'm going to stay on 8.x until the dust settles...

This week I've been playing with nothing but the advanced parameters to do just that; it's been a while since I really did a deep dive into them and have gotten amazing results to open up the amp so it 'barks' just the way I like it. I love to feel the notes exploding and being really in-your-face mostly. Those two parameters are of huge importance to achieving that, along with several other ones.

It's been a great week playing with all of the advanced parameters with various amps/tones, and I've discovered a few new tricks and insights; I've definitely taken my tones up a notch or two for sure, particularly on the 'feel' aspect. I have to state that many of these parameters will only 'reveal' themselves if you have things pretty cranked (volume wise) to hear/feel the sometimes subtle differences while adjusting them, and have the Master running high enough to start to make the power amp sweat.

Playing with bias points (both preamp and poweramp), phase inverter, tube types, power amp hardness, negative feedback, etc. will reveal some new insights into getting the most out the AFX for sure. Those are some of the most important/useful parameters overall for my needs.

I'm with ya, man. The Axe fx can become a completely different animal than what it is in stock/common amp settings form. I'm pretty certain that most folks would find the tones I dial up to be WAY too bright, too aggressive, too, yada, yada, whatever BUT, over the years I've learned that it's a helluva lot easier to tame bite/high end in a full mix than it is to try and add bite to a guitar sound after it has been recorded - including reamping.

Also, if I have a lot of bite when I track my guitar parts, it makes me play better and inspires me to try and get every last ounce of tightness possible from my performance.

I think most metal rhythm guitar sounds are too polite/generic/lifeless these days. Not saying that my sounds are any better - AT ALL. But, I'm giving it my best to make things sound angry again. \../

I think most metal rhythm guitar sounds are too polite/generic/lifeless these days

Agreed, totally...polite is a good way of putting it. And I too find that most metal rhythm sounds for many new bands are very generic...they have no character and they all sound the same. I like a rude, aggressive, in-your-face punch with tons of articulation for my rock/metal tones and don't bury the character with gobs of distortion/gain. I like to have a dynamic, open amp tone that 'breathes'; one that reveals different textures/tones depending on how hard, or light, you play it.

But, I'm giving it my best to make things sound angry again

I like that...we need more guys like you :cool:

9.02 is fantastic.

8.X = Metal 9.X = everyone else. Not saying that 9.X can't work with metal, but not sure anyone has put in the work to figure that out yet.

9.02 is fantastic.

8.X = Metal 9.X = everyone else. Not saying that 9.X can't work with metal, but not sure anyone has put in the work to figure that out yet.

That is an interesting observation. I wonder if it will drive some future changes to put in place options to make it easier to dial in metal sounds?

I'm with ya, man. The Axe fx can become a completely different animal than what it is in stock/common amp settings form. I'm pretty certain that most folks would find the tones I dial up to be WAY too bright, too aggressive, too, yada, yada, whatever BUT, over the years I've learned that it's a helluva lot easier to tame bite/high end in a full mix than it is to try and add bite to a guitar sound after it has been recorded - including reamping.

Also, if I have a lot of bite when I track my guitar parts, it makes me play better and inspires me to try and get every last ounce of tightness possible from my performance.

I think most metal rhythm guitar sounds are too polite/generic/lifeless these days. Not saying that my sounds are any better - AT ALL. But, I'm giving it my best to make things sound angry again. \../
Don't foget your posting of your patchs you said you were working on eariler :)

Like 9.02 very much — I did notice in a gig in Boston the other night that I had to cut the high end a bit in the Global eq as it sounded brighter in a live setting than it had in rehearsal — could have been the venue, and perhaps it was the stage monitors (which can sometimes sound brittle), but thought I would share in any case.

Back
Top Bottom