Did you stay on Fw 8.x Or move to 9.x (poll)

Did you stay on Fw 8.x Or move to 9.x

• Total voters

Metal1993

Inspired
Wondering what people have done given how much people have commented on the sound difference between the two difference firmware as many have documented.

I played with 9.02 at rehearsal yesterday for the first time & my band thought it sounded much better than 8.02. They said it was much clearer & had a nice, round sound. I couldn't agree more & the feel was great!

Staying on 8.2 because I can't give up the X-Former Grind feature. Really sucks in the sense that I don't get to enjoy the other improvements/refinements Cliff made as of the 9.0X firmware.

X-Former Grind is what brought the Axe Fx to life on the heavy side of things for me because I like an extremely biting/searing crunch sound that's super articulate and not overly gainy. 'Warm' is not in my tonal vocabulary when I wanna play aggressively so, until I can figure out a way to keep the extra sharp thing that X-Former Grind does in 9.0XXX, I'm stuck.

I should also point out that it's because of Cliff advising me to crank the X-Former grind that I found the tone I was after with the Axe Fx on the crunch side in the first place. Yeah, I know, I'm most likely in the minority tonally speaking but, I really like the thing to take my head off when playing heavy stuff.

The Cliff giveth, and the Cliff taketh away. :laughing::tonguewink:

How all did you use the xformer grind to your advantage,. and what percentage of change in your sound was their when you switched? 10%?

I use the IIC++ 99% of the time and for some reason I prefer 8.02, ive gone back and forth between 8.02 and 9.02. I'm now on 9.02 because I wanted to try out someone else's presets and I decided to stay with 9 seeing as Jon is working on his new Metallica presets that will be on the latest firmware. Having used 9.02 for a few days I can get pretty damn close to my 8.02 presets but I dare not try 8.02 again or I will cry and stay with it again . lol

Stuck at 8 because I bought many of Moke's presets. Until he does the updates on the his presets I will not change the FW.

How all did you use the xformer grind to your advantage,. and what percentage of change in your sound was their when you switched? 10%?

I use X-Former Grind quite aggressively, MUCH more than 10% difference. I also do other things in order to get the level of aggression I like. I'll swap tone stacks, turn the power amp hardness WAY up, turn the negative feedback WAY up and anything else I can in order to get the fastest response and most defined attack I can. I'll usually go past where I need it to be and then dial it back a bit.

Sorry for yammering on, long story short, an aggressive X-Former Grind setting is an important part of my sound.

I played a Boogie MKII C+ for years along with a highly modded 1981 Marshall JCM 800 and I'm used to, and love, playing amps that can bite my head off. \../

Last edited:
Though I would like to try 9.02, I'm stuck on 7.02 because of long drawn-out recording session. o_O

I use it X-Former Grind quite aggressively, MUCH more than 10% difference. I also do other things in order to get the level of aggression I like. I'll swap tone stacks, turn the power amp hardness WAY up, turn the negative feedback WAY up and anything else I can in order to get the fastest response and most defined attack I can. I'll usually go past where I need it to be and then dial it back a bit.

Sorry for yammering on, long story short, an aggressive X-Former Grind setting is important part of my sound.

I played a Boogie MKII C+ for years along with a highly modded 1981 Marshall JCM 800 and I'm used to, and love playing amps that can bite my head off. \../
Can you post a couple presets I would love to hear what you have come up with as I play the same type

Can you post a couple presets I would love to hear what you have come up with as I play the same type

I've been working on a dual amp preset for jammin/writing riffs that may be of use to you. Its a combination of EVH 5153 Red and USA Lead (Boogie MK IV) with some delay/verb and other bits and blocks. Let me get that dialed in this week (mainly the MK IV/right side amp) and I'll post it for ya.

I would go ahead and post it this evening but, I'd like to finish doing the 18v mods to my main guitars so I can dial up some clean sounds. I really love 80's style piano/JC-120/SUPER squeaky cleans (Tears For Fears, Police, Crowded House, And Justice For All) and, with the EMG's running in stock/9v, they're not quite clean enough when I really lay into the strings. They break up a bit so, I'd like to cure that.

Oh, another fave album for me as far as cleans go is Queensryche's EMPIRE album. I love it to death!

Speak at ya soon!

9 because it sounds better IMHO and fixes that pesky re-amping bug.

Now if only they could fix that memory hole issue in Cab Lab 3 that I reported months ago when shooting lots of ir files, things would truly be rocking.

I just use the latest and accept the differences. It's not worth having to make an even bigger adjustment if I miss a few, and then have to go back through firmware notes etc...

Back
Top Bottom