• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Did you stay on Fw 8.x Or move to 9.x (poll)

Did you stay on Fw 8.x Or move to 9.x

• Total voters

Metal1993

Inspired
Wondering what people have done given how much people have commented on the sound difference between the two difference firmware as many have documented.

notalemming

Forum Addict
I played with 9.02 at rehearsal yesterday for the first time & my band thought it sounded much better than 8.02. They said it was much clearer & had a nice, round sound. I couldn't agree more & the feel was great!

raymitchell

Regular
Staying on 8.2 because I can't give up the X-Former Grind feature. Really sucks in the sense that I don't get to enjoy the other improvements/refinements Cliff made as of the 9.0X firmware.

X-Former Grind is what brought the Axe Fx to life on the heavy side of things for me because I like an extremely biting/searing crunch sound that's super articulate and not overly gainy. 'Warm' is not in my tonal vocabulary when I wanna play aggressively so, until I can figure out a way to keep the extra sharp thing that X-Former Grind does in 9.0XXX, I'm stuck.

I should also point out that it's because of Cliff advising me to crank the X-Former grind that I found the tone I was after with the Axe Fx on the crunch side in the first place. Yeah, I know, I'm most likely in the minority tonally speaking but, I really like the thing to take my head off when playing heavy stuff.

The Cliff giveth, and the Cliff taketh away. :laughing::tonguewink:

Metal1993

Inspired
How all did you use the xformer grind to your advantage,. and what percentage of change in your sound was their when you switched? 10%?

LoPaN

Inspired
I use the IIC++ 99% of the time and for some reason I prefer 8.02, ive gone back and forth between 8.02 and 9.02. I'm now on 9.02 because I wanted to try out someone else's presets and I decided to stay with 9 seeing as Jon is working on his new Metallica presets that will be on the latest firmware. Having used 9.02 for a few days I can get pretty damn close to my 8.02 presets but I dare not try 8.02 again or I will cry and stay with it again . lol

pablito

Inspired
Stuck at 8 because I bought many of Moke's presets. Until he does the updates on the his presets I will not change the FW.

raymitchell

Regular
How all did you use the xformer grind to your advantage,. and what percentage of change in your sound was their when you switched? 10%?
I use X-Former Grind quite aggressively, MUCH more than 10% difference. I also do other things in order to get the level of aggression I like. I'll swap tone stacks, turn the power amp hardness WAY up, turn the negative feedback WAY up and anything else I can in order to get the fastest response and most defined attack I can. I'll usually go past where I need it to be and then dial it back a bit.

Sorry for yammering on, long story short, an aggressive X-Former Grind setting is an important part of my sound.

I played a Boogie MKII C+ for years along with a highly modded 1981 Marshall JCM 800 and I'm used to, and love, playing amps that can bite my head off. \../

Last edited:

Metal1993

Inspired
I use it X-Former Grind quite aggressively, MUCH more than 10% difference. I also do other things in order to get the level of aggression I like. I'll swap tone stacks, turn the power amp hardness WAY up, turn the negative feedback WAY up and anything else I can in order to get the fastest response and most defined attack I can. I'll usually go past where I need it to be and then dial it back a bit.

Sorry for yammering on, long story short, an aggressive X-Former Grind setting is important part of my sound.

I played a Boogie MKII C+ for years along with a highly modded 1981 Marshall JCM 800 and I'm used to, and love playing amps that can bite my head off. \../
Can you post a couple presets I would love to hear what you have come up with as I play the same type

raymitchell

Regular
Can you post a couple presets I would love to hear what you have come up with as I play the same type
I've been working on a dual amp preset for jammin/writing riffs that may be of use to you. Its a combination of EVH 5153 Red and USA Lead (Boogie MK IV) with some delay/verb and other bits and blocks. Let me get that dialed in this week (mainly the MK IV/right side amp) and I'll post it for ya.

I would go ahead and post it this evening but, I'd like to finish doing the 18v mods to my main guitars so I can dial up some clean sounds. I really love 80's style piano/JC-120/SUPER squeaky cleans (Tears For Fears, Police, Crowded House, And Justice For All) and, with the EMG's running in stock/9v, they're not quite clean enough when I really lay into the strings. They break up a bit so, I'd like to cure that.

Oh, another fave album for me as far as cleans go is Queensryche's EMPIRE album. I love it to death!

Speak at ya soon!

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
9 because it sounds better IMHO and fixes that pesky re-amping bug.

Now if only they could fix that memory hole issue in Cab Lab 3 that I reported months ago when shooting lots of ir files, things would truly be rocking.

Wolfenstein98k

Forum Addict
I just use the latest and accept the differences. It's not worth having to make an even bigger adjustment if I miss a few, and then have to go back through firmware notes etc...

Top Bottom