Did you sell your "REAL" rig in favor of the Axe?

I think if you have a tube amp and don't enjoy or hear the difference then sell it. I haven't sold one yet.

It seems owning as well as using tube amps on a regular basis helps me appreciate the differences with the axe fx II and solid state processing.

Thanks for all the input and opinions gang.
I actually hooked up the old Mark IV rig this evening and played for a few hours with some friends. Gotta tell ya...I wasn't "wow'd". It sounded great, don't get me wrong, but lifting it up to move it where I needed it, hooking it up, and then powering it up and hitting that first chord, even at band volume, was a little anti-climactic...and in a way, I'm thankful.
I was a little fearful that I'd hook everything up and be blown away by the tone so much that I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on selling. And while I still don't really WANT to sell it, I just can't really justify keeping it.

In truth, there were only 2 real differences I noticed in tone, in a positive way, which was;
The Axe-FX is so clear and pristine, that any little tuning nuances that are less than perfect, seem to come through. The Mark IV, not so much...I didn't really notice it.
Also, the Mark IV has a little more "purr" or aggression when hitting big open drop tunes. But again, I haven't upgraded to Quantum, and the settings are not identical.

Never the less, while I love my Mark IV and have great memories with it, I'm afraid it may in fact be time to move on. Especially given all the difficulties everyone seems to be having with unloading their gear.

Thanks again for all the input folks. I'd love to hear more "I have no regrets" success stories :)

Hmmm, let me review my records...

After getting my AxeFx, I sold...

A Diezel VH4, Bogner Uberschall rev. Blue, 2 PRS CAD 1-off combos ("special sauce" versions of the DFH and S16+), a PRS H combo, a block letter 5150, an artist owned Friedman 1-off, a Voodoo Platinum modded Mesa Dual Rec, a Mesa Mini Rec, an AC30HW Heritage, a JVM 410, aaand what am I forgetting... oh yeah, a Fortin Hulk modded JCM800.

I haven't lost any sleep.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Since AxeFxII came home.....

Sold 2 4x12's
Sold Dual Rec
Sold JCM900
Sold RG200
Sold Archon

....have no regrets. 10/10. Would sell again.

TexasChris - is there an amp model you're using to specifically get your old Archon tones, or are you just satisfied covering that ground with different tones?

I sold a Mesa Mark V, Mesa Road King, Mesa Recto Recording Pre, Mesa Triaxis. Also sold an assortment of about 25 pedals and FX units ranging from cheap boss pedals to high quality Eventide gear. A few years later I bought back a Mark V which I just use as a reference amp, and I bought an Orange Dual Dark as I haven't found a way to get those tones from the Axe FX yet. But I have no regrets, and if I had to get rid of every last piece of gear I own, the last three pieces to go would be one of my guitars, a cable, and the axe fx.

Sold my Mark V, Mesa 2x12 and about a dozen pedals for an XL+ and a pair of Adam A5X's. Absolutely zero regrets.

b66fce53dfe440a1ea61dd65b0e55646.jpg

Couldn't help myself...

Last edited:
Sold my Mark IV "a" when I git my Axe Fx and almost all of my pedals.
Kept my recto 2X12,
fast forward 2 years later , bought a mark IV"B" and a JVM 210H, modded the JVM, bought a very early JCM800 2X12 and sold my CLR
only use the Axe in 4cm mode. And it 's not the Axe that's lacking , it's FRFR speakers.
Different strokes for different folks. :)
oh .................and "No regrets here" either. :)

Had quite a few amps kept some sold the rest .
I still have some great tube amps but they sit dont get played.
I was able to match them all inside the axe..
Using my ears...

No because the amp sims for bass on the FAS are not loved and are weak...
So I still have my real amps. But no pedals anymore.
Just FX8 and the AxeFX2 Mark I for effects.

I was in a unique situation. I had what I finally thought was a compact rig. VHT SigX (amazing amp) VHT old vertical 2x12 with 2 v30 and I was using a Pod XT live for my delays, verbs and modulation. My back started giving me trouble in 08/09 and in January 2010 I was set to have back surgery. Is compact as I though my rig was. It was heavy enough that I was like I might need a change. Couple that with the fact that I was sick of my guitar never sounding in playback recordings or video footage the way it sounded to me standing close to it. I had heard only good things about the Ultra at the time so while recovering I made some deals and had me an ultra. I was determined to make it work and the rest is history. I have been an Axe man every since and have never been happier in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not on my side as well. But they mostly gather dust these days! I love buying analog gear as much as digital gear as well. Pedals are always fun. But right now i am really gassing for an ax8.

Bogner Ecstacy 101b and matching 4x12 cab.
Splawn Promod and Marshall 1960 BX Cab.
G system and random pedals.

Replaced with an Axe II, MFC and a Friedman ASM-12.

Dont miss any of it.

Bogner Ecstacy 101b and matching 4x12 cab.
Splawn Promod and Marshall 1960 BX Cab.
G system and random pedals.

Replaced with an Axe II, MFC and a Friedman ASM-12.

Dont miss any of it.

CORRECTION MR!!!

You sold the Bogner XTC to me...... which I ended up selling to fund me a Friedman ASM for my Axe-ii, and an EBMM Axis BFR, with plenty of pocket change left over :D :lol

Not only that, but I also at some point off-loaded two 2x12 cabs, G-Major, pedals pedals pedals, Friedman BE clone, vatious random un-used rack gear ALL as a result of the Axe-rig being my main GO-TO rig.. My Axe-rig with the ASM, and two custom made Alto FRFR cabs is beastly good! I gots me W-D-W via FRFR and it pumps.

I couldn't get rid of my normal rig which still consists of a 50w BE-Friedman clone (yes, another beautiful amp made by Melbourne's Michelle Amplification) and a great 2x12 with a couple pedals to get me through should I wanna remind myself of what it's like to haul around a 'normal amp/head/cab' rig..

Suffice to say, the Axe-ii is just an awesome piece of gear.. in fact, that's an understatement..

Once I got the Axe Fx I gave away my old rig (because I'm not a cheapskate pile of sh@t).

I'd found what I was looking for tonally, and I knew a guy who definitely deserved- and had a use for- a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Another friend was psyched to get my Fender Blues Jr. and Digitech GNX3 combo.

The Axe Fx made me happy, and the subsequent replacements made two other musicians happy.
And that's what this is all about, isn't it?

When I bougt the Axe I was already 63 of age and didn't wan't to carry any more my 2x12 1960B Marshall cabs (old),Peavy 50/50 tube power amp, my Soldano SLO 100, Bogner Alchemist, all my pedals and my fx rig and I don't regret it. The axe sounds great at any level I'm absolutly happy with it. Now I'm getting 67 in 3 month and it's no hassle for me my to carry my rig: Axe FX II, 2 Matrix Q12a's, MFC 101, Laptop.... :eagerness:

Back
Top Bottom