Did you buy the extended warranty for your Axe III?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
My window for getting it is coming up, but money's tight, and it's $269.99 for the Axe and FC12. Not that it's not worth it, but I'm not a gigging pro any more, kind of hard to justify. Zero problems to date, knock silicon.

Did you folks get it? Did you need it? Anyone need to pay for repairs out of pocket once the warranty expired?

Other thoughts?

I haven’t bought it for any of my units. Al have been fine. Just my personal luck possibly? Gotta do what you gotta do tho. Best of luck! 👍 Lee

Been dealing with Fractal since the Ultra and never had anything other than a foot come off my expression pedal. That said I use a Citi card to pay for my gear that adds 2 years to factory warranty.

Didn't get it and didn't need it on any of the 3 units I've owned - I'm not a gigging musician so the grar never gets any abuse

Extended warranty is risk mitigation: If you can't afford a potential expensive repair bill, you can pay a guaranteed cost to protect you from that unexpected cost.

If the unexpected cost is likely to be one you can fairly easily pay, then it's not worth paying for. For a warranty to be profitable it's priced to take in more money for warranties than the repairs will cost on all the warrantied units.

For cars, having the warranty (insurance) is mandatory, not just because the cost of a car is more than the average person can easily absorb, but because the total cost could be much higher if it results in injury. death, destructions of other peoples more expensive cars, or buildings, etc.

So basically, if you can probably afford a 1% change you have a $500 repair in the off-chance there really is a problem that takes longer than a year to appear, there's no need to guarantee a $300 or whatever warranty costs.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_of_electronic_components
"Failures most commonly occur near the beginning and near the ending of the lifetime of the parts"

Good manufacturers put their product through a burn in process before shipping it out. That's why Fractal receives shipment and then takes some time to ship each unit out. I'm not sure what the lifetime of the electrical components in an AxerFx is, but I'm sure that it spans far longer than most of us would need it.

Extended warranty coverage is to address potential user-caused issues (touring, etc...). Since I am using my AxeFx exclusively in a studio on a good power conditioner, I don't need extended coverage. Your needs may be different - evaluate accordingly.

I am curious about credit card extended warranty - does anyone know if it requires some special registration or is it automatic?

I am curious about credit card extended warranty - does anyone know if it requires some special registration or is it automatic?
Read your credit issuers terms, it will be stated. Careful though. It usually states "most merchandise" not all, so you might want to call them and confirm the specific product prior to purchase.

I haven't bought an extended warranty in a very long time. The majority of electronic devices will fail either pretty quickly or will last well past the warranty date (even the extended). That is how a lot of companies make extra money. Of course, if your device is critical to your needs, you may think differently about it.
Even if it's critical to needs, that doesn't matter. You'll still be out a unit however long the repair takes (It's not an on-site repair warranty like you can get with some computers). If it's critical and paying for the repair might not be possible then consider it. If you'll be able to afford a repair in the off chance it happens then save the money now and just pay if it comes up.

Here is an example of the Citi Card extended warranty. Obviously not everything is covered (cars, boats, tires, etc.) however it is pretty comprehensive and you don't have to do anything. Also, not only does it extend the warranty but it gives protection if a vendor won't accept a return and also gives some theft protection. Anymore I hate being in debt so I usually don't buy something unless I have the money but I'll put major purchases (washers, dryers, Fractal, keyboards, guitars) on the card to get the warranty, then pay it off. Builds credit at the same time.

One of the advantages of buying top-shelf equipment (like everything FAS makes/sells) is that it rarely if ever breaks. That said, in my experience (40+yrs. in Pro Audio) if it's going to die it's usually going to be during the first 30 days ("infant mortality syndrome"). Barring situations that no warranty will EVER cover ("pilot error"), most reputable manufacturers set their warranties to provide a reasonable time for warranty-type failures to occur.
YMMV...

Back
Top Bottom