Did the praise and worship forum die?

I don't know. Have not visited there in quite a while. Would be interested to know. I'll be watching this thread.

The whole Praise & Worship music scene amuses me. In Europe there isn't one. The idea of amplified music in church is the polar opposite of what is expected. I laugh inwardly when I read about guys discussing the latest Mesa Boogie or Axe-fx 'for worship'!!!

The whole Praise & Worship music scene amuses me. In Europe there isn't one. The idea of amplified music in church is the polar opposite of what is expected. I laugh inwardly when I read about guys discussing the latest Mesa Boogie or Axe-fx 'for worship'!!!
Some of them take home a nice paycheck while you laugh. :)

There was a time when organ was considered too "rock" for church.

I was raised Greek Orthodox (I'm Arabic and in the US)
The concept of music in church or even drums or guitar is still shocking to me...

From ages of like 13-18 I played Piano/Keyboard/Organ at plenty of weddings- and just getting the priest to let me use a string sound instead of piano/organ was impossible- and god forbid I play anything rock or pop related.

So seeing guys bringing electrics and amps and distortion and big pedalboards and drums with a big band- is just mind boggling to me still.

I don't think women are allowed to wear pants or cross their legs at our church. Not that I go..ever... but I think it's in the rules.

Different churches, different ways. The first time I strapped on a guitar in church (Roman Catholic) was in 1969. It was acoustic, and I was accompanying vocalists in a sing-along situation, but there were some who still considered it radical. I didn't care; I was 12 years old, and this was a chance to play out. At the time, the RC was experiencing a wave of strumming-guitars-behind-vapid-songs, which is surprising, given the Catholic church's rich musical heritage—back in the day, they had guys like Bach and Mozart writing their music. And there are churches on this side of the oceans that consider any music in church to be just wrong.

Who would that be? You're not offended, are you? Lol

I'm going to say Europe has a pretty rich history of churches...Texas megachurches with rock bands would probably be the outlier than the tradition- so....it's still shocking to most- so it's taking a paycheck from participating in church besides the priest.

Our Mrs F thumpin it out with fingers and feet on a 120 year old pipe organ while giving you the evil eye in her rear view mirror is the biz.

...so it's taking a paycheck from participating in church besides the priest.
Sometimes there's a paycheck involved, sometimes not. Some of those paychecks come from arena gigs, not from churches. Even if there's no band involved, it takes more than one paid employee to keep all but the tiniest church in operation.

The one I was talking about was I think started by a member on here Scott Peterson... I think
praiseandworshipforum.com
It's been several months (or were it years) (little primus humer) since I was on last...
Just wondering if anyone on here was also a lurker or member on there who might know.

Domain name is still paid up and active. Maybe it's been shut down or suspended by Hostigator. They are quite notorious for suspending sites on shared hosting that use a bit too much server resources for their liking .... and I see from cached google results he used XenForo for the forum software (similar to this forum) and I'm guessing it has a more than average PHP/MySQL resource use

The one I was talking about was I think started by a member on here Scott Peterson... I think
praiseandworshipforum.com
It's been several months (or were it years) (little primus humer) since I was on last...
Just wondering if anyone on here was also a lurker or member on there who might know.
Agreed. As I recall, Scott started that forum. While I was still working, I got busy with work, and didn't have much time for it, so I just backed out. At this point, I have no clue what my user name or password was, so I guess it has been a while since I went there.

There was some chatter at The Gear Page saying that the domain name is for sale. If you have $11.99 that is just burning a whole in your pocket, then it can be yours. Looks like some of the links at the page still work, but no discussion forums, which is the only reason I went there.

Last edited:

Oh it's here too. But its small, and I reckon it exists mostly thanks to influence from the USA. Just like American football and baseball is being played in Europe as well. Somewhere, where most Europeans barely know it exists. Similar for worship. When I still worked at a youth center the place was rented once a month by a Christian youth movement, and they always had a band playing worship music. For almost a year it was my duty to be the resident staff member who would open up and close for them, and be responsible in case of an emergency.

Now the Netherlands is mostly atheistic to agnostic as most people are either no longer interested in religion, and those that are still Christians are often looked down upon or made fun off. It has retreated to the fringes of Dutch society. And the youth center I worked at had a strong heavy metal subculture. And not as in Hail Satan, but more as in religion is weird. So most of our volunteers looked down at these Christians as well. But I liked them. It wasn't hard work and they were really nice people. They were always glad to see me and made me feel very welcome. They were welcoming to everyone, including local Muslim youngsters who sometimes dropped by out of curiosity. When they had their own people able to handle key duty, trained in social hygiene and CPR and my services were no longer needed I occasionally went by, just to see how they were doing. Good times!

Those people would probably have loved to have a couple of Axe FX units, as their sound engineer was always focused on keeping stage volume and volume in general down.

Thanks to those good people I at least got to understand the worship genre and scene, so I can at least understand what some of you guys are talking about. I am however amazed at how big that scene is in the USA. Sometimes it feels like half the forums (including this one) that I frequent are occupied by worship musicians.

Thanks to those good people I at least got to understand the worship genre and scene, so I can at least understand what some of you guys are talking about. I am however amazed at how big that scene is in the USA. Sometimes it feels like half the forums (including this one) that I frequent are occupied by worship musicians.
In America, churches and church-like events offer more opportunities to play out than any other venue. Where guitarists congregate, you'll find worship music players.

As you discovered, there are advantages to working Christian gigs. Most of the people are exceptionally friendly and accepting, whether you believe in the same things or not. Theft is rare, and unlike in bars, there's virtually zero chance that a drunk will spill beer on your gear. And when you're playing, the audience is paying attention.

Back
Top Bottom