Did I read somewhere that some guys are using the Flextone amps as FRFR solution?

Georgy

Inspired
Ok, let me rephrase that..

I could've sworn I remember seeing on one of the Fractal forums (for some reason I keep thinking I saw it here in the AX8 forum..) that there are some players out there that have been using the Line 6 Flextone (either ii or iii) as an FRFR solution, either at home or on stage.. could this be?!

I guess the second part of this weird question is, can that actually be done?

Thanks.

Yes, Flextone amps have fx loop, but they are very far from flat response. Pa monitor is a better solution.

I use a flextone cab sometimes a 2x12 with a Matrix gt1000 poweramp. Sounds good and is loud. I mainly go direct and also have Atomic CLR and QSC k10. I use different cabs for different situations. I always leave cab modeling on. I'm not trying to be exact with my tone, I just make sure it sounds good, which it always does.

Hey @Geezerjohn - don't you use a Flextone sometimes? Thought i saw that in one of your posts before.
Hi Brian. Yes I do. I use a Flextone II XL as a stage monitor. It is a 100w 2 x 12 with Celestions. I run output 2 of my Fractal (either AX8 or Axe) into the effects return (stereo) of the Flextone. I did make one modification to the Flextone. I added a pair of Fender amp legs to it so I can tilt it back. I typically play in church venues or in programs with spiritual themes so I really want to avoid blasting people in the front rows. Tilting the amp back is a great solution. It was an easy job. Measure twice, drill once. I have had the Flextone for quite a few years. Bought it at Mars Music in Arlington TX before Mars went belly up. It has been a work horse including nearly 5 years with Supernal Endgame.

As far as tone goes, I just use the Flextone in large venues and use it for a stage monitor. The audience is not really hearing the amp all that much as I only have it for reference for me so the tone is quite acceptable. I just need to hear what I am doing relative to the other musicians I am performing with.

Last edited:
Hi Brian. Yes I do. I use a Flextone II XL as a stage monitor. It is a 100w 2 x 12 with Celestions. I run output 2 of my Fractal (either AX8 or Axe) into the effects return (stereo) of the Flextone. I did make one modification to the Flextone. I added a pair of Fender amp legs to it so I can tilt it back. I typically play in church venues or in programs with spiritual themes so I really want to avoid blasting people in the front rows. Tilting the amp back is a great solution. It was an easy job. Measure twice, drill once. I have had the Flextone for quite a few years. Bought it at Mars Music in Arlington TX before Mars went belly up. It has been a work horse including nearly 5 years with Supernal Endgame.

As far as tone goes, I just use the Flextone in large venues and use it for a stage monitor. The audience is not really hearing the amp all that much as I only have it for reference for me so the tone is quite acceptable. I just need to hear what I am doing relative to the other musicians I am performing with.

Aha, now we're talking!! So, here's what I'm hoping to do.. or achieve rather..

In some of the venues that we play at, the PA that faces the crowd is pretty good.. we each have at least one wedge each that faces us, BUT, for anyone in the first few rows of the crowd, they don't really get any stage volume.. practically none at all (depending on size of the stage/the direction that the speakers are facing/the venue etc). Rather than go and spend big dollars on a Friedman ASM-12 or Atomic CLR (everything is expensive here in Australia #sadface), I was looking for a cheaper 'combo-like' option that I can put on the stage behind me like a normal guitar cab, so that I at least have some sort of volume coming from behind me, so to speak. And that way, the people in the first few rows will get some stage sound as well. Side note, I remember watching Dream Theatre a few years ago and was 4th row but directly in front of JP.. He had maybe 6 Mesa 4x12s NONE of which were hooked up, they were just there for show. I don't want that, I need some stage volume that faces the crowd, even something is better than nothing.

Now that I've elaborated on what I'm hoping to achieve, will this work?! Judging by your response, it looks like it will? Yes?!

Yes, and it will also work as a backup if Axe explodes. (Altough in my experience the Flextone is the less reliable unit.)

As a new guy to the AX8 I'm now considering getting something like the Friedman ASM-12. It's kinda expensive. What is everyone using?

Back
Top Bottom