Did I miss something in recent updates?

quark

Experienced
I noticed that when I first turn on the Axe Fx III that no matter what preset I'm on, it sounds rather brittle, almost ice-picky, but all I have to do is switch to another preset and then back to the original and the original now sounds much more mellow. Definitely get a significant change in sound without any parameter edits just by switching from one preset to another and then back again. Is there something going on here with some automatic parameter updates that I may have missed? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

What firmware version are you on? Testing here in 20.04b I can't say I'm hearing that effect between startup, then forward/back on the preset.

Last edited:
Just upgraded to 20.04 beta1 but I first noticed the issue on whichever firmware preceded it.

Thanks Chris, I'll check that but these are unedited Factory Presets and the one that I noticed it on last was Shiver. Strident when first called up and then mellow when I switch to another preset and then switch back. I'll keep exploring.

Thanks Chris, I'll check that but these are unedited Factory Presets and the one that I noticed it on last was Shiver. Strident when first called up and then mellow when I switch to another preset and then switch back. I'll keep exploring.
Sounds like the wah in those factory presets is on.

Any thoughts on why switching to a new preset and then back to the original would make a change in the wah block? I'm obviously missing something here.

Any thoughts on why switching to a new preset and then back to the original would make a change in the wah block? I'm obviously missing something here.
Because of this order of events on startup: External Control initial value set, preset loaded, reading of pedal port's actual value.

If you aren't using a pedal at whichever port Ext. Ctrl. 1 is set to you can just change it to "none" and it should prevent what you described. Setting the Ext. Ctrl. Init. Value to 100% should also work if you wanted to connect a pedal sometimes without needing to assign the port again.

Thank you very much Bakerman (and Chris) ... you're explanation is very much appreciated ... I will explore those options ... thanks again .. be well ..

Thank you very much Bakerman ... much appreciated ... I'm not using a pedal and this is happening on unedited factory presets and is only something that I've noticed since the last few firmware updates. Do you know if there were any recent changes in firmware that might cause this since I never noticed it before. Seems like both you and Chris were aware of this ... has it been a long standing artifact of how the software is loaded and I never noticed it or is it something relatively new. At any rate, you've given me some great options and directions for fixing it. Thanks again ...
Factory Presets use External Controller 1 for Wah and other things most of the time. A new user who has never assigned External 1 in the Setup > MIDI menu won't have any issues.

but if you've assigned External 1 to something (like an FC or Pedal port) in the Setup > MIDI menu and now it's not plugged in, you may have this problem.

or it could be something new like you're saying, but check the External 1 assignment first.

Will do ... thank you all for the help, this has been bugging me for awhile ... as always, very impressed with the knowledge base on this forum ..

Yes, the last preset that I play before turning off the Axe is the one that comes up when I reboot. Just unplugging all expression pedals doesn't do the trick. Booted up this morning into factory preset 65 Bassguy and it was quite bright, almost shrill, switched to the next higher preset and then back again to 65 Bassguy and 65 Bassguy became quite mellow. Need to explore some of the things that Chris and Bakerman discussed.

Booted up this morning into factory preset 65 Bassguy and it was quite bright, almost shrill, switched to the next higher preset and then back again to 65 Bassguy and 65 Bassguy became quite mellow. Need to explore some of the things that Chris and Bakerman discussed.
If you've confirmed that no block (wah) is getting incorrectly turned on, you could try this: After booting to the shrill 65 Bassguy, take a copy (edit/copy) of the amp block, then, go up a preset and back down to the mellow 65 Bassguy, then paste the amp block you copied before, into amp2 and compare the amp1 / amp2 tab by tab to see if there are differences - if none, do the same for cab and reverb (I think those are the only 3 active on that preset). This will either find the problem or point to something global as the issue.

Thanks ... clear that I have some debug work to do but I've gotten a lot of good directions to explore from all of you.

Back
Top Bottom