Did I get a returned Axe-Fx III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you would get bashed for saying ‘the sky is blue’ by all the poor sods living under the clouds. No matter what your opinion or experience, someone want to stab you in the groin for it.
thanks
pauly

Why would you get bashed?

Is anyone arguing that his question is unreasonable?

A few pointed out that it's best to ask the company first. But no one seems to be saying it doesn't warrant asking. Easy enough to miss I suppose.

Look 2 posts above your post, that I'm quoting above.

As for the OP - I think it's a valid question and I think it's perfectly fine to post it here.
Yes, contacting support is also something I would have done. But I (like most people) are impatient and curious, and would think - hey, maybe instead of wasting Fractal's time, let me ask others if they have experienced this. Because if it's a simple - 'yes, they all look this way'. Then great, mission accomplished. So why not post a simple question in place where 90% of the readers of this thread have also unboxed an Axe III? Just my opinion.

My response to the OP is - I opened it so fast, I can't remember what the bag looked like. I don't believe mine had a plastic screen on it either.

Last edited:
I had a small issue with my axe III and support was super responsive, asked detailed questions, gave me detailed explanations, and basically went above and beyond my expectations.

I never posted on the forums (I guess, until now). IMO forum posts are like a Hail Mary if you have tried all other options and have gotten nowhere. This doesn’t happen much, if ever with Fractal.

This is the bag... I mean really???
View attachment 69033

The plastic in mine came in the same way. I thought it was odd and that I got someone else's return, but the sticky plastic on the screen was still there. I just kind of ignored it and everything was really overcome by my excitement of plugging it in and playing with it. But then all the excitement kind of died down after plugging it in because I realized I had to read the manual... :grinning:

I had a small issue with my axe III and support was super responsive, asked detailed questions, gave me detailed explanations, and basically went above and beyond my expectations.

I never posted on the forums (I guess, until now). IMO forum posts are like a Hail Mary if you have tried all other options and have gotten nowhere. This doesn’t happen much, if ever with Fractal.

You're assuming he, like you, treats forums as a Hail Mary effort to solve a problem. And not like a casual community of users who hang out to discuss and answer questions in a casual setting. Not to mention it's a community that doesn't take weekends off, so he'll get some kind of answers before Monday when the Fractal team is back in office for his support request. Based on most of the posts on here, a lot more people treat this place as a hangout club and not as a pressure tool for ongoing issues.

And he's obviously not "putting fractal on blast" by posting on their own forums, everyone here is likely to already happily own an Axe FX. He's asking fellow owners, not scaring potential customers. If he went to other forums and went "Look at the pathetic state my Axe FX arrived in, this is supposed to be new and it's clearly not, don't trust those clowns" I would understand some of the reactions here. But it's not what happened.

I’m reluctant to chime in on this, because I really couldn’t be happier with my Axe-FX III and all things Fractal …

but if there‘s anything in the production/delivery chain that bears examination, feedback and additional data points will help.

My unit arrived about five weeks ago, on May 11. Both the outer and inner box were brand new. I don’t remember there being any issues with the plastic wrap.

I immediately noticed that there was no protective plastic peel on the LCD screen. I thought that was strange, since the ritual of peeling it off is one of the perks of new ownership – but since the surface of the screen was completely pristine, with no fingerprints, dust or scratches, I ignored it.

The next thing I noticed was that there was a small ding on the upper edge of the front panel. It was apparent enough that the first thing I did – before even powering up – was hunt in my studio for a black magic marker, and touched up the bare metal where the anodizing had been removed.

At this point, I was asking myself if I had received b-stock. But I examined the entire unit thoroughly, and found nothing else; not a single fingerprint other than my own.

So that’s it. Again, I know how things on the forum can get worried to death like a sore tooth, and I’m questioning whether I should post this … but for Fractal’s own QC and QA chain, constructive feedback can’t hurt.

Here’s that ding …

ding.jpg

For what it's worth, I bought a B-stock Axe Fx II XL+ a few years ago.

It was pristine on arrival and I was unable to find anything visibly wrong with it.

I later heard thru a forum post that sometimes it's an "internal" flaw such as a broken screw head, etc.

I ordered a B stock unit, already knowing it would be basically ‘used’ and might have some minor areas of wear and tear.
I was surprised when it arrived, to find the wear and rear was much more than I’d expected. Deep scratches on the casing, rack rash on the mounting holes etc. I’d saved myself £100 or so in going for a B stock unit, so I wasn't that bothered. Installed the unit in my rack, no issues with functionality, haven’t looked back.
it might only become an issue when I come to sell the unit when I next upgrade. Thankfully that should be some years down the line.
That was not a B-stock from Fractal because those are sold only in the US. ;)

Mine came looking like it was velvet glove handled by angels during the crazy sale time last year.

Sorry to see yours came without the internal testing evidence wiped clean.

I had a far worse experince! I have bought 2 axe 3 from g66 and didnt get chocolate because i made the mistake of buying in the summertime.
not going to do that a 3rd time.. :-(
btw i think Ole at g66 opens all axe3 and play a wee bit on them before he ships them, honestly i think he cries everytime he has to ship one out.

I honestly do not understand why some folks are miffed by the OP’s question. If you’ll notice, it was posted Friday evening. I’m guessing that UPS makes late deliveries, like they do for me whenever I have to sign for the package. Fractal had been closed for hours by then. So it seems that some are saying that he should’ve waited until Monday to get a response before doing anything else.

Really? He should wait a few days, rather than ask here? This isn’t TGP; it’s a forum for owners/users of Fractal products. Fractal owners should know better than anyone else as to how their new Fractal product(s) arrived. This is absolutely the best place to ask. I would’ve done the same thing.

BTW - welcome, dan46n2!

Yammy!
I like to keep the plastic on as long as possible. So when I finally peel it off it feels like I have a new unit. Double the fun!

I only remember it being delivered sans screen protector because I had it all set up to have my drone fly from down the street and rip the screen protector off the III as it flew by to the sounds of Ride of the Valkyries. Had the drone charged up. The music queued. Created a little holder for the string that the drone would latch on to as it flew over. Production all set to go... open the box... no screen protector. LOL

This is not the way to welcome a new member to the forum. He has a valid concern and was looking for input from other Fractal Users. Be kind.
OK - I'll be kind instead of being whatever I was being
  • It looks to me to like his unit was tested by FA quality control and perhaps not wiped down after testing and before shipping
  • It looks to me like a wrapping bag that was new but had not been stored flat and unwrinkled was used to wrap the unit
  • Perhaps an already used wrapping bag was re-used to wrap his unit instead of using a new, unwrinkled bag
  • It could be possible that his unit was confused for a refurbished unit that was tested but not wiped down after testing and before shipping. So instead of receiving a new unit, he received a refurbished unit.
Do you feel that is being helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom