Did I Blow My Atomic CLR Speaker..?

Randy Alanis

Inspired

I think the I blew the speaker..? Which is odd cause I had it at this current volume (about 9 o’clock) when it suddenly started making some odd noises.....I’ve tried different guitars, I turned it off for 15 minutes & tried again & I think I legit might have blown the speaker...or eel idk what else it might be ‍♂️

Any suggestions..? I’ve heard tom king is the guy to reach out to but I don’t have his info..

To be sure it is in the CLR try the same signal into a different power amp.

A different signal source for the CLR is another test, but by the sounds of it, i'd check with Tom King before turning it on gain - good thing you have a video he can watch. Good luck with it.

A few things to try if you haven't already:

i) Reseat all the connectors, especially power cables (i.e. pull them out, plug them back in). I've had issues in the past with a tube amp fading in and out because of a poor quality IEC power connector. Also try plugging into a different wall socket (or power board socket).

ii) Run a different sound source into the CLR (i.e. MP3 player). If this works fine, then the problem is further back in the chain.

But it could well be a deeper issue with the speaker/electronics in the CLR. :(

What is your signal chain on the AX8? Do you have any reverb on? Can't tell from video. Had a similar problem (lots of clicking and static) and I was pointed in the direction to look at Reverb setting. It was on high so the CPU was reaching max limits thus turning the reverb on and off. Maybe...but there is a lot more in your video,

What is your signal chain on the AX8? Do you have any reverb on? Can't tell from video. Had a similar problem (lots of clicking and static) and I was pointed in the direction to look at Reverb setting. It was on high so the CPU was reaching max limits thus turning the reverb on and off. Maybe...but there is a lot more in your video,

An excellent suggestion - make sure your CPU usage on the AX8 is well below 90%.

To be sure it is in the CLR try the same signal into a different power amp.

A different signal source for the CLR is another test, but by the sounds of it, i'd check with Tom King before turning it on gain - good thing you have a video he can watch. Good luck with it.

I did do so last night, through my EV ZLX12P & it sounded as it normally would at any volume with no other noises. What has me thinking its possibly not the speaker is the fact that at low volume the cleans sound crystal clear..no distortion...but once turned up even on the cleans its as if the vibrations from the loud volume might be causing something to come loose or...well honestly im not sure its just a guess.

My other concern that I thought of this morning was that last night I was prompted to update the software on AX8 Edit & I did so but I did not download & update the firmware on the AX8 to the beta....I did modify some of my presets via the new AX8 editor...idk if its a possibility that it changed some of the parameters in the global setting through the update or well...again back to I just don't know.

In this video I used 1 of my wireless transmitters, I tried it with 2 other transmitters much to the same identical results...I read on here someone had a similar issue with the on board DSP...maybe even that?

A few things to try if you haven't already:

i) Reseat all the connectors, especially power cables (i.e. pull them out, plug them back in). I've had issues in the past with a tube amp fading in and out because of a poor quality IEC power connector. Also try plugging into a different wall socket (or power board socket).

ii) Run a different sound source into the CLR (i.e. MP3 player). If this works fine, then the problem is further back in the chain.

But it could well be a deeper issue with the speaker/electronics in the CLR. :(

1. I deff. will try that when I get home just to be certain. I do happen to have some new cables at home I can verify that with.
2. im gonna try one of my acoustic electrics with their preamp direct to see how that does...good idea.

hopefully its not that bad :/

the CPU on the 2 presets I toggled float around the 60-70%....but I will monitor it in real time to see if it peaks for some reason...

An excellent suggestion - make sure your CPU usage on the AX8 is well below 90%.

all my presets ive made to be under 82%...but perhaps something has changed that resulted in it peaking higher...im gonna verify when I get home.

thanks for your time bud.

Yes. Good luck in trying to get through to Tom King. You might be better off since you are in the US.

The power amp went out in mine and started doing this. I guess it’s a common issue. I contacted Tom via the Atomic support page and got quick responses. Unfortunately, it took them 6 weeks to ship out a replacement. Luckily, the power amp is fairly easy to remove and is much easier to ship than the entire unit. Good luck.

In case anyone was following:

I just received my replacement last night, Tom wouldn't confirm if he was able to get the unit to reproduce the noises I was getting nor did he go into detail when I asked him what it might be but im appreciative he addressed my concern & was able to get me taken care of!

The power amp went out in mine and started doing this. I guess it’s a common issue. I contacted Tom via the Atomic support page and got quick responses. Unfortunately, it took them 6 weeks to ship out a replacement. Luckily, the power amp is fairly easy to remove and is much easier to ship than the entire unit. Good luck.

Man that sounds like the Demygorgly from Stranger Things..lol

& yes I had very little issue getting the old one out/new one in

Glad you got it fixed. I had good service from Tom when I had a similar problem. I have had power modules fail on several brands of FRFR speakers so it's not exclusive to Atomic. They may be the "tubes" that require a back up with these rigs.

same thing happened to mine, if i recall it was the power amp section. I dont know though ive had everything fail on these int he past, driver, horn, power section x2. cant remember what was what

Back
Top Bottom