Did first V5 gig tonight

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
After having fun dialing all my patches with V5, I did first gig in a new room this evening & took a couple photos after everyone got drunk and went home.
It's been open since 1947. Funky place -- a time capsule in the middle of gangster land on east side of the city. The chandelier bulbs were deep red, didn't show up in the photo. And can't remember last time I saw velvet elvis and multi-jesus hanging on a venue wall, if ever -- LOL
http://www.zephyrloungecolorado.com/
6763976869_2ac4709c3a.jpg

6763975597_c3c3128bf0.jpg

The axe-fx was a delight, sitting naturally and perfectly within the dynamics of the mix for the first time. Over time, it's evolved to where the amp sound was very accurate, but dynamically it was always a bit of misfit in the mix with other instruments.

Now it simply belongs there, naturally, intuitively with the rest of the beasts, because it's breathing and moving with them dynamically in the mix. And it's damn fun to play on top of that.

Looking forward to this weekend's gigs. BTW, spanky cleans on funky music? Oh yea baby!

Last edited:
Cool room. If I played it I'd probably have to start with a little Toccata and Fugue in Dm.

I bust my V5 live cherry on Saturday night. Almost ready except for my Metallica and Ozzy patches.
Can't wait.

Just practicing, I can hear what you mean about sitting in a mix. I always thought the Axe sounded great, but I kind of felt like I was playing a B3. The note would just turn on until I stopped playing it. Now with v5 it's alive and dynamic. Everything that eluded me in 3 years of tweaking my Ultra is just there now.

Can't wait to play it at volume in the real world!

Cool room. If I played it I'd probably have to start with a little Toccata and Fugue in Dm.
LOL, I asked them if Liberachi hung that up. Every light is crooked and it's all bent up/beat up from 65 years of drunk abuse.

They had xmas lights everywhere and they're permanent. It's that kind of bar.

I forgot...behind the velvet elvis, that's velvet drape. Acoustic ceiling tiles, carpeted floor & stage, carpet up the sides and then velvet from there to the ceiling. It is acoustically the deadest room I think I've played. Dry, dry, dry, no refections...I kept turning up the reverb.

You're gonna love how juicy V5 is at volume, the awkward transients are gone, and you can dial your flavor of butter and bounce.

For those that don't know me, I toured full time playing bass for a few years, so amplitude envelope related to groove/pocket is something I'm kinda trained for. It's great to have that on the axe-fx now. Since day one of owning the Axe, the better it got tonally over time, the more I craved those musical dynamics to go with the tone. Now they're both alive and well.

Thanks Cliff!!

Back
Top Bottom