Did Anyone Ever Try the SKB Fly Racks?

I purchased 2 of these 1SKB-R6UW 6U SKB cases, which also come in 4U (1SKB-R4UW).
I love the fact that the wheels are on the back cover and all the gear rests on the rack rails when transporting.
Sturdy yet lightweight. And no wheels to contend with when sitting on top of a cab.
Thats pretty awesome.

So I have been using the SKB 4 space, works perfectly so far.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-3i-2217m124u-iseries-removable-fly-rack-case
Has convenient TSA locks as well.

This is EXACTLY 49.5lbs with Axe III and 2 Shure Guitar wireless systems.
EASY set up: pull out the rack, plug in power cables, plug in 2 XLR's from Axe Out 1 to FOH and a 3rd XLR to FC6...DONE
OK, I also plug in a Fractal mini expression pedal to the FC6 ;)

Most important to me is the weight...Southwest Airlines allows 50lbs before EXTRA charge.
I simply carry on (personal item not rolling suitcase) my FC6, in-ear unit, and cables along with carrying my Mono Dual guitar bag on my back.

I can have 2 cases, one's the SKB (gear) and one suitcase (clothes) for FREE on Southwest.
Other airlines will charge you for a standard piece of luggage, as long as you don't exceed 50lbs.
NO way a 6 space with full gear would be under 50lbs...

Before the Axe III, I was using an AX8 in a Pelican case that had molded foam inserts with 2 guitar wireless AND 2 in-ear units. 49.5 lbs there as well. Seriously, for fly gigs, it's about the weight...unless that's included in your rider and it's already paid for by someone ELSE.

I caved and ordered the SKB Fly Rig 6u. I could only find one in stock over here in the UK. £15 discount as well in the Boxing Day sale. I'll let you all know how I get on.

I would of gone with one of them, but they don't ship to the UK unfortunately. It probably would of work out too expensive anyway to bring one over. But I agree they do look good.

Sorry to hear that. It’s actually pretty easy to buy from the UK these days, I bought a UK matrix power amp 2 months ago, so I assumed it might be easy to buy both ways. Maybe not?

Sorry to hear that. It’s actually pretty easy to buy from the UK these days, I bought a UK matrix power amp 2 months ago, so I assumed it might be easy to buy both ways. Maybe not?

I'm sure it is easy to ship to the UK but I reckon it will be expensive with shipping fees and then UK customs. I don't think it will be worth it to be honest.

I'm sure it is easy to ship to the UK but I reckon it will be expensive with shipping fees and then UK customs. I don't think it will be worth it to be honest.

I didn’t pay any duty and the ups shipping was less than $60. Same thing when I bought a guitar from an Irish makes a few years ago. I was hoping/assuming it was a similar story for small purchases going the other way. I wouldn’t have suggested it otherwise. It’s stupid to charge duty and customs on small consumer purchases, say under $5000. It hurts the small business export market, and I’m sure those smaller businesses employ a substantial percentage of UK workers, just like small business does here...

Here are a couple of pictures of the back of my rack. You can see that the AxeFX III is sitting in the bottom of the rack, and there is enough room behind it for all the connectors (I prefer to use right-angle connectors, but straight ones will also fit), along with (1) the power supply for my RJM MMGT10, and (2) a Digitech Frequout pedal. I have two patch panels in back. The upper one is for my wireless guitar (diversity, thus two antennae), and wireless IEM. The lower panel is for Power in / out (via PowerCon), MIDI, USB, and audio interconnects. Total setup time once out of the case is about two minutes, which includes plugging in the XiTone wedge.

View attachment 61557View attachment 61559
Where did u got the lower one...actually both patchbays...I want 2 do something similar on the back of mine20190518_152138.jpg

The fly racks are heavy af compared to the non-fly models. The new "lightweight" ones weigh 22lb/30lb empty. Granted I don't fly with mine but the regular rotos seem rugged enough for day to day beatings (not by baggage crews tho, i'm sure of that). My III is currently in a cheapo gator 6u and that suits me just fine and weighs about 60% of a fly rack. I've gigged it about 30 times and other than scratches and a few gouges, it's totally fine. It's been dropped from knee height a couple times without issues either.

Last edited:
Where did u got the lower one...actually both patchbays...I want 2 do something similar on the back of mine
I built them myself.
You can order patch panels with Neutrik "D" size holes punched in them, and then populate the panel with whichever connectors you prefer. The lower panel has 12 ports. Some of the patch bay inserts require wiring, but many of them can also be ordered as "pass thru" configuration, which means they have the appropriate jacks on either side. I like to keep the wiring inside my racks as tidy and as short as possible, so I custom build everything.
That upper panel is just for my wireless antennae, and uses BNC bulkhead connectors.

I built them myself.
You can order patch panels with Neutrik "D" size holes punched in them, and then populate the panel with whichever connectors you prefer. The lower panel has 12 ports. Some of the patch bay inserts require wiring, but many of them can also be ordered as "pass thru" configuration, which means they have the appropriate jacks on either side. I like to keep the wiring inside my racks as tidy and as short as possible, so I custom build everything.
That upper panel is just for my wireless antennae, and uses BNC bulkhead connectors.
Where do you order your panels and passthrough connectors? It's been a while...

Hi guys,

Bit of an update for you. Manage to get a 6u SKB fly rack and case. I must say I was quite impressed, very light and really compact. I can't believe I was struggling so long with a heavy rack case, glad I made the switch. Just in the middle of re doing my interface panel at the back so it's a little messy but it's looking good so far.

Using my 1x12 Boogie cab at the moment with my GT1000FX power amp but I think I'm gonna buy a Matrix FR12P cab. I also use a Headrush FRFR108 (Not at the same time as the cab) It depends on how big the venue is my band plays.

Overall really happy! Just gotta sell my old rack cases now. If anyone in the UK lives near to me in EssexIMG_0267.jpegIMG_0268.jpegIMG_0269.jpeg please message me if interested.

Enjoy!

Paul

Hi guys,

Bit of an update for you. Manage to get a 6u SKB fly rack and case. I must say I was quite impressed, very light and really compact. I can't believe I was struggling so long with a heavy rack case, glad I made the switch. Just in the middle of re doing my interface panel at the back so it's a little messy but it's looking good so far.

Using my 1x12 Boogie cab at the moment with my GT1000FX power amp but I think I'm gonna buy a Matrix FR12P cab. I also use a Headrush FRFR108 (Not at the same time as the cab) It depends on how big the venue is my band plays.

Overall really happy! Just gotta sell my old rack cases now. If anyone in the UK lives near to me in EssexView attachment 61911View attachment 61912View attachment 61913 please message me if interested.

Enjoy!

Paul
That setup looks very nice! I am looking at doing something very similar but putting it in a larger skb case so that I can fit the FC-12 as well. A few questions:

1. Are the handles of the rack very sharp or are they think enough to grip comfortably with gear weighing down the rack?
2. You say the setup is very light, but by my math with the fly case your looking at 66 pounds. Am I off?

I’m trying to fit everything in one container but I’m now starting to think that weight makes this less practical. Adding the bigger case and the fc-12 the weight would be 82 pounds. Ouch!

Back
Top Bottom