Dialling in the USA IIC++

Thanks for the preset @2112 Leon. I had been fooling around with my own Mesa II C++ preset but was having trouble dialing it in. Your EQ tips cleared it up for me. I am eagerly awaiting more Axe III tutorials like the ones you did for the AX8.

Yes the Mesa Recto models in the Fractal are really good

Agreed. That's not to say I wouldn't ever buy a Mesa again. I'm currently just going through a 'minimalism' phase and trying to keep things optimal and efficient, without having lots of guitars sitting around, and lots of amps/cabs (it's been hard).

Perhaps one day, I'll pick up another Mesa amp and cab, maybe in one of those unique finishes they sometimes do, but for now, if it's not going to be used regularly, it's out.

Great video! I actually A/B'd a Mark IV way back to the GEQ and really fine tuned the settings to match the real life counterpart and the way you would normally set the GEQ like f.ex. Petrucci does:
BottomMK4Settings.jpg

The Axe-Fx settings for this GEQ setting that matches the response are +7.00 for 80hz, 0.00 for 240hz (this knob worked a bit differently on the real amp), -6.5 for 750hz, +2.00 for 2200hz and +6.50 for 6600hz. Not sure why I posted this... well maybe it helps people out. :)

To get the Mark series amps super tight, don't be afraid to set the bass at 0. That's what many people do with the real amps as well. Don't worry it still has bass.
Gotta say, I was surprised to see the bass set so high here. Seems like with the bass set so high plus the 80hz set so high on the GEQ that it would be a flubby mess.

Gotta say, I was surprised to see the bass set so high here. Seems like with the bass set so high plus the 80hz set so high on the GEQ that it would be a flubby mess.
The response of the sliders in the real amp is very nonlinear. In the middle 50% or so they almost do nothing. The response becomes more pronounced as you get near the end of the travel. One of the drawbacks of analog graphic EQs though the Mesa is worse than most. To do it properly you need a custom taper (an 'S' taper) but the Mesa tapers are off-the-shelf IIRC. The sliders in the Axe-Fx are ideal. If set to 3 dB you get 3 dB.

The response of the sliders in the real amp is very nonlinear. In the middle 50% or so they almost do nothing. The response becomes more pronounced as you get near the end of the travel. One of the drawbacks of analog graphic EQs though the Mesa is worse than most. To do it properly you need a custom taper (an 'S' taper) but the Mesa tapers are off-the-shelf IIRC. The sliders in the Axe-Fx are ideal. If set to 3 dB you get 3 dB.
I've used Mark series amps for most of my life so they're definitely the most important amp sims in the unit for me. For this reason I've A/B'd a lot of them with the Axe-Fx Standard, Ultra, II and now III. The GEQ is the only thing that I have to set differently to match the "real deal". Here's an A/B video of a real Mark IV vs Quantum Axe-Fx II with exactly the same settings besides the 240hz slider:

(No idea why I looked like I'm 12 years old three years back.)

Point being... the amp modeling has been ridiculously accurate for a long time already. If I struggle with anything it's the "chugg" sound that I get with real Mark series amps. That really might be a power amp fine tune thingy that I don't really know how to tweak. You can compare it in the clip above with the riff that starts with a "chugg". If it's not clear what I mean with it it's what John Petrucci is talking about in this video at the 8 minute mark:

It's that overly percussive Mark series "chugg" that I'm sure everyone loves. Since we have the maestro here, do you have any tips on getting the palm mutes to jump out and be a bit more percussive?

I remember someone here offering the wise advice of "ears not eyes" on here, but can't remember who it was :p

I love these models because they can let you fine tune your tone around your guitar, cab, playing style and ear in a way that you just can't with most other models. Worth the effort IMO.

It's that overly percussive Mark series "chugg" that I'm sure everyone loves. Since we have the maestro here, do you have any tips on getting the palm mutes to jump out and be a bit more percussive?

Petrucci's palm mutes in that clip sound insane. I too would love some info on how to dial that in.

As a general message about all your videos and especially the latests about ax8, tweaking and Mark series, I love you.

Not being a Mesa guy, or necessarily a high gain player, there's no way in the world I would have ever thought to dial in that amp like that. Great tutorial!
I feel the same way except I am a high gain player and no way ever would I have Bass so low and then crank it in the EQ etc... that thought totally escaped me. I may have figured that out had I kept my Mark V but didn't have enough time... a key point in the tutorial for me was the low base but Mark EQ aspect.

The part I added that wasn't really covered was the Input EQ. I found it really took Leon's settings even further (for me) anyhow... we all are after a diff sound and I really LOVE the Input EQ :)

I hope Leon (hope you are listening) does more of the different block videos. For people like me (non-pro, not really gigging, not tons of pedal knowledge etc) learning what all these blocks are good for is awesome... loved the drive block video... hope more like that come along :)

I always thought that "chug" sound come mostly from the hand.

I personally use heavy strings, heavy picks and heavy downpicks :)
It's an extremely minor issue but I don't struggle getting that sound with my Mark V. It's hard to explain. The chugg is more in the middle frequencies and you hear multiple strings scrape while I feel like all modelers chugg at a lower frequency and are looser while the high end pick transient is maybe even too fast. Fractal is definitely the closest modeler for the Mark series sound. I try not to diss Kemper but it was never able to mimic any of the different palm mute sounds of my amps. Orange, Recto, JVM and Mark IV all had a very boomy and loose low end with the Kemper. Nothing like the real amps.

If anyone has any experience fine tuning palm mutes I'm very interested to try things out. :)

I feel the same way except I am a high gain player and no way ever would I have Bass so low and then crank it in the EQ etc... that thought totally escaped me. I may have figured that out had I kept my Mark V but didn't have enough time... a key point in the tutorial for me was the low base but Mark EQ aspect.

The part I added that wasn't really covered was the Input EQ. I found it really took Leon's settings even further (for me) anyhow... we all are after a diff sound and I really LOVE the Input EQ :)

I hope Leon (hope you are listening) does more of the different block videos. For people like me (non-pro, not really gigging, not tons of pedal knowledge etc) learning what all these blocks are good for is awesome... loved the drive block video... hope more like that come along :)

Definitely more to come, this unit is so deep that I'm constantly learning new things too.

Back
Top Bottom